Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most you've (over)paid for a game

Options
  • 29-09-2016 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Cannot recall the exact amount because it was so staggeringly overpriced, but I paid something like IRE£65 for Final Fantasy IX when I was a kid. Was about 10 at the time so that was a LOT of money. Must've only had an RRP of £35 tops but knowing that, because I lived in the midlands, I wouldn't be getting to Galway/Dublin for months and there'd be no guarantees it would be there by then, when I saw it for sale I felt like I had little choice but to grab it there and then.

Can't say I regret it too much, there were other games I bought as a kid when money was hard enough to come by that only would get a few hours use, I played the hell out of FF9 at least. Never saw it for sale in a store after that either.

So yeah, I guess there's two responses I'd like for this thread:
    1. The most you've paid full-stop (i.e. including valuable rarities and so on).
    2. The most you've paid for a new game and how it compared to the RRP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

With regards to no.2 I'm not sure I've ever paid over the RRP (I lived in Dublin), and as soon as the internet came along you could always get it AT if not cheaper than the RRP.

I've spent stupid money on games for the DLC's and on some occasions in game items/loot boxes.

I'd imagine there are some here though that play/played WOW who spent hundreds over the years on subscriptions and in game items.

I think I bought in-game currency and the special edition of Guild Wars when it first came out. Recently I bough about 30e of lootboxes for Overwatch, which was a waste really...when it first came out. Dind't realise how quick I'd level up and get all the items anyways.
    Maybe RockBand ? I've bought 2-3 Rockband sets and had Rockband 1,2,3, Beatles, ACDC and tonnes of DLC songs.
    I guess that would go up into the 400e + range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I paid approximately £35 (give or take) of my birthday money for Independence Day the game in 1997. That was £35 overpaid...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Cannot recall the exact amount because it was so staggeringly overpriced, but I paid something like IRE£65 for Final Fantasy IX when I was a kid. Was about 10 at the time so that was a LOT of money. Must've only had an RRP of £35 tops but knowing that, because I lived in the midlands, I wouldn't be getting to Galway/Dublin for months and there'd be no guarantees it would be there by then, when I saw it for sale I felt like I had little choice but to grab it there and then.

Can't say I regret it too much, there were other games I bought as a kid when money was hard enough to come by that only would get a few hours use, I played the hell out of FF9 at least. Never saw it for sale in a store after that either.

So yeah, I guess there's two responses I'd like for this thread:
    1. The most you've paid full-stop (i.e. including valuable rarities and so on).
    2. The most you've paid for a new game and how it compared to the RRP.

Didn't pay too much over the odds for FFIX, RRP was £50 due to the disc count.

Anyway most I've paid for a game was €200 which was Steel Battalion on the original Xbox. The controller is amazing.

For most people answer 2 will probably be something in GameStop, they have a bad habit of charging above RRP recently, especially with Collectors Editions they have an "exclusive" on. An example of this is FFXV Deluxe Edition is listed at €99 in Gamestop, the RRP is €89.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Black Desert Online, 50 quid. No Man's Sky, 50 quid.

Pretty much top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Asked my OH a few years ago to bid on Legacy of Kain for me while i was travelling (no access to net at the time), loved it when it first came out and regretted selling it so wanted to add it back to my collection.

She ended up bidding 80euro for it over twice what I had told her to go to as she knew I really wanted it...

Never asked for that type of favour again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Most regretted was the Battlefield Hardline special edition think it was around €100 on Origin. What a steaming turd of a game and complete waste of money.

My only other regret and probably biggest spend would be on Dota 2 chests and compendiums. The amount I've sunk into cosmetics would probably make me curl up in the corner and cry. I've no idea what the total is but its a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Probably most I've paid is Destiny. Original game, Year one DLC, The Taken King DLC and Rise of Iron DLC. Plus real money to buy dances and other cr*p. €200 approx? Probably best value in terms of hours I've sunk into it though.

Battlefield Hardline was a disappointment in that I paid for the season pass and yet didn't get any of it but got ok mileage out of the core game.

some games I got on release but didn't really play were the worst for me. Deus Ex / X-Com

Christ yeah Rock Band / Guitar Hero series probably take the cake for me.

I was really into them. I'd say close to 500-600 euro between software, instruments and songs. Did get a massive amount of hours from them over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

€75 for Spider-Man 3 on the 360 from HMV in Liffey Valley. Even the huge Spider-Man fan in me the 'WTF?' about that one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I spent the following for one game.
    The game, firstly, was Tempest 3000, the ultimate version of the Tempest game, the most awesome game ever.... aside maybe from Robotron 2047.
    It regularly popped up in top 100 games lists for a good decade or so.
    It was developed by Llamasoft and Jeff Minter, who also made a Visual player for the system, akin to the one he made for the 360, but earlier.

But....
    It was only available on one system
    The Nuon.
    This
    n501front.jpg
    And, to buy one, with a controller, in order to play that one game, set me back around €250, including shipping from the US.
    Then it had an issue with the drive, so I bought in a non-Nuon but otherwise same design DVD player from the US, and replaced parts, resulting a perfectly working Nuon but adding an extra €50 to the overall cost.
    Also, the game set me back another €60 odd.

So, the total cost to play Tempest 3000 was €360!
    And it was, at the time, worth every penny!

Sadly, the game has been slightly superceded by the equally awesome but incredibly cheap Tempest 2k, on the Vita, and Tempest 2000 on the Atari Jaguar is almost as good... almost.

I sold it all on, trading it for a PS3 back when a PS3 cost a lot of money, and I do regret it now.
    The same one is for sale, and the gentleman is looking for €250 for it, but I just can't justify that kind of expense for a single title.
    The format was very short lived and had a total of 8 games released, but only Tempest is worth playing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyway most I've paid for a game was €200 which was Steel Battalion on the original Xbox. The controller is amazing.

I'm on my second of these.
    I got my first, close to launch, for a bargain €100, then wussed out and sold it.
    Then I got it again a couple of years ago for around €50, brought in from the UK for free by a family member working in DHL, and the seller threw in a copy of Pokemon Soul Silver, which itself was worth €50!
    So, essentially, I got Steel Battalion for free!

The controller is simply epic, and the game, despite being 14 years old, is still as fresh as ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xenogears on PS1

At the time very late in the PS1's lifecycle it had a near legendary reputation as being the most amazing RPG on the system. It also got a very limited release meaning the prices were crazy on ebay (well 80 euros at the time was crazy, if only that was the case now). Being a student I had no credit card so had to pay for it with western union which was 20 euros on top of the 80 it cost. I bought it at buyrite games who were a bunch of cowboys at the time and I didn't realise that. Sent me the game but it was so scratched up that they wouldn't read in my PS1. Buyrite games wouldn't respond to any of my emails and I then found out why everyone thought so poorly of them.

Ended up paying the same again to get the game from another site 80+20 for western union. At least this time it worked. Played the game and ended up not really enjoying it. It was so overhyped. It's only now people are looking back on the game and saying that it was indeed a bit rubbish.

Then to make matters worse EA / Squaresoft saw the demand for the game and reissued it at a budget price of $20 a few months after I bought tanking the resale price (which has gone up in recent times at least) and making me feel like a dope.

I also bought Psychic Killer Taromaru and Hyperduel over in Japan last year for 400 and 350 euro respectively. Awesome games... but not awesome enough to justify that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Considering I never had a 8 or 16-bit cartridge console, whose games were insanely expensive partly due to the support's hardware (I remember seeing Nintendo games in shop windows going for 150k Italian £ in the late '80s, that'd be something like 150-200€ of today allowing for inflation and exchange rate), I still regularly managed to spend around 70 Euro for Xbox 360 games back when the console was launched.

In all fairness, that was the standard "high street" retail price in Italy, at least before places like GameStop started to open - it would be only your "friendly" electronics and appliances store selling games, and every single one would be priced 69.99, regardless of it being an AAA or a minor publication, or being brand new as opposed to sitting on the shelf for 12 months.

Also, you couldn't get games on launch day - you'd go in, ask for a game that came out the day before, and they'd look at you with a baffled face and asked "and what is that?". This was 2006/7 folks, not 1983 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

COD:MW3 paid full RRP and Bought the Season Pass,about 1120 in total,played it for about 45mins and realised i f**king hated Cod..traded it in same day...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I bought the Ultimate Collector's edition of FFXV which is a princely €270 which is a bit bonkers but I wanted the artbook and it was the only way to get it.

I also bought Street Fighter 2010 for the NES for £50 when I was younger because I wanted a new street fighter game after playing SF2:Turbo for 3 years. I was so so disappointed :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Do the thousands of euro i've spent on World of Warcraft count?

If not, £70 on eBay for Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast. Was bloody hard to get at the time, but was worth every penny. Still have it at home i think.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Bought the super duper collectors edition of Star Wars: The Old Republic complete with a pretty cool Darth Malgus statue having had a full 8 hours with it at a press event that EA kindly brought me to when I still worked here on Boards. It was only after the 20 hour of game play mark that I realised I had no fupping idea how to play MMOs and this game was just a reskin of WoW and expected everyone playing it to know how to MMO. There is nothing more offputting than 3 rows of buttons telling you to do things that you don't understand at all. The devs decided that serving the interests of hardcore WoW Raiders was more important than people like me who just wanted to play a Star Wars game and the whole thing went F2P in 6 months because the WoW people just left after racing to the end game and being angry about the fact that this brand new game didn't have the eame amount of content as a 10 year old game... :rolleyes:

Anyway, that was €120 I wasn't getting back any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Kiith wrote: »

I was going to say World of Warcraft too. But actually thinking about it I've gotten about 11 years of gaming out of it and have, for the most part, quite enjoyed it too.

In terms of games I've bought and regretted instantly, it was Batman: Origins on PC for about €60
    I disliked so much about that game, and despite giving it a few shots I cannot enjoy it. I loved the first two games and Origins just let me down so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Man in black 2 on PS2 back in the day. Where I came from it costed more then half monthly minimum wage. It was complete and utter ****. Over payed for it fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Kiith wrote: »

If it does, then I've spent 225 on original plus expansions on release and about 7.5 years worth of subs for a rough total of €1275.

Christ!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

150 for skyrim collector's edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Can't remember how much it cost, maybe €90, but Assassin's Creed 3 Freedom Edition. Came with a figure of Connor and basically a bunch of tat, but seeing as how into Assassin's Creed I was at the time, money well spent!

Until I finished the game, was angry at how sh*t it was and how they ruined the story they'd been building up for 4 games, and had completely run the game into the ground. Now Connor sits there on the shelf. A monument to my failure, and to his own.

Yeah?! Your tomahawk does look cool as it looks like the Assassin's symbol! But what else do you have going for you? Nothing! You're nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

€150 for Fallout 4 Collectors Edition.

• Recently the Doom Collectors Edition

The model of the Revenant is class

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Xenogears on PS1

At the time very late in the PS1's lifecycle it had a near legendary reputation as being the most amazing RPG on the system. It also got a very limited release meaning the prices were crazy on ebay (well 80 euros at the time was crazy, if only that was the case now). Being a student I had no credit card so had to pay for it with western union which was 20 euros on top of the 80 it cost. I bought it at buyrite games who were a bunch of cowboys at the time and I didn't realise that. Sent me the game but it was so scratched up that they wouldn't read in my PS1. Buyrite games wouldn't respond to any of my emails and I then found out why everyone thought so poorly of them.

Ended up paying the same again to get the game from another site 80+20 for western union. At least this time it worked. Played the game and ended up not really enjoying it. It was so overhyped. It's only now people are looking back on the game and saying that it was indeed a bit rubbish.

Then to make matters worse EA / Squaresoft saw the demand for the game and reissued it at a budget price of $20 a few months after I bought tanking the resale price (which has gone up in recent times at least) and making me feel like a dope.

I also bought Psychic Killer Taromaru and Hyperduel over in Japan last year for 400 and 350 euro respectively. Awesome games... but not awesome enough to justify that price!

What?
    No mention of Under Defeat??
    Honestly, I know I bring it up from time to time, but it's hilarious....
    Probably mean of me to say so though.... sorry....

Shiminay wrote: »
    There is nothing more offputting than 3 rows of buttons telling you to do things that you don't understand at all. .

Obviously not a Steel Battalion player then! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I pre ordered Skyrim at full price :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

This thread puts me spending €20 on Superhot into perspective.

I haven't had many really awful buys, maybe the TES Anthology

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What?
    No mention of Under Defeat??
    Honestly, I know I bring it up from time to time, but it's hilarious....
    Probably mean of me to say so though.... sorry....

I only paid 80 euro for Under Defeat and it's an awesome game so not on the same level as Xenogears.

Advertisement