Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most you've (over)paid for a game

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I only paid 80 euro for Under Defeat and it's an awesome game so not on the same level as Xenogears.

Was Xenogears any good in the end.

Also, €400 for a game!?!? Jaysis… a heroin habit would be cheaper.

Edit: Actually, just thinking about the Japanese game - was it in English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I spent the following for one game.
    The game, firstly, was Tempest 3000, the ultimate version of the Tempest game, the most awesome game ever.... aside maybe from Robotron 2047.
    It regularly popped up in top 100 games lists for a good decade or so.
    It was developed by Llamasoft and Jeff Minter, who also made a Visual player for the system, akin to the one he made for the 360, but earlier.
    This is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear alright! Like, literally buying a machine for just one game in the knowledge that there is, and never will be, any other reason for you to own that machine.

Forgot Steel Battalion exists altogether. It's the kind of thing that seemed mental at the time, but now the sheer novelty factor makes me wish I had bought it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was Xenogears any good in the end.

Also, €400 for a game!?!? Jaysis… a heroin habit would be cheaper.

Edit: Actually, just thinking about the Japanese game - was it in English?

Well I was in Japan and Taromaru and Hyperduel are two of the rarest games on that system(Taromaru in particular as the publisher went bust just before the game launched). I'd already played a 'backup' of Taromaru so knew it was good and loved the crap out of Hyperduel in the arcades (leisureplex coolock somehow had the arcade version). I might never be back in Japan and was going all out during my trip so I said why not and bought them. I spent about 6000 euro all together on that trip just on games :) Lot of Holy Grail items.

As a form of consolation both those games are worth way more now on ebay in the condition I got them in than what I paid for them.

As for the games being in English, unless it's a Japanese RPG where you need Japanese all you need for most action games is to know that yes is shorter than no in Japanese. Also English is seen as 'cool' in japan so often these games can be completely in English. The Saturn in particular is home to a massive collection of arcade style games, so much so that you are missing out on the vast majority of the best of it's library if you only get western games for it.

Anyway I love when jaapnese games try to do English badly, like this classic where Radiant Silvergun gives you advice on how to kill the last boss:

16sbs-130.jpg

As for Xenogears, it's an interesting game full of interesting ideas and robs wholesale from Evangelion but it just doesn't gel as a good game. What really doesn't help is the entire second disc is the two main characters sitting in chairs telling you what happens and three dungeons, the dev team ran out of time and money and were pulled off the project to get FF7 out the door... it shows.
    This is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear alright! Like, literally buying a machine for just one game in the knowledge that there is, and never will be, any other reason for you to own that machine.

How about spending lots of money on a machine with no gams worth buying on it!

Got a CDi a few years ago from ebay and it arrived with a busted CD drive. Managed to get the price of a replacement drive from the seller. Have to figure out myself how to repair it, the only tutorial online is my own. Got it work after a lot of hard work and went to discover what delights where on it. I got the much maligned Virtual Boy a few months before it only to discover that there's some really great games on the system. Thought it would be the same with the CDi... it wasn't. The best two games on the system were the two Zelda games that everyone hates. They're not as bad as people say, they're decent enough but hardly worth buying a console for. The supposedly good third Zelda game is in fact one of the worst games ever made. Everything else is either crap or has a superior version on another console.

TL;DR don't buy a CDi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

£50 on Sunset Riders for the SNES

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Shiminay wrote: »
    Bought the super duper collectors edition of Star Wars: The Old Republic complete with a pretty cool Darth Malgus statue having had a full 8 hours with it at a press event that EA kindly brought me to when I still worked here on Boards. It was only after the 20 hour of game play mark that I realised I had no fupping idea how to play MMOs and this game was just a reskin of WoW and expected everyone playing it to know how to MMO. There is nothing more offputting than 3 rows of buttons telling you to do things that you don't understand at all. The devs decided that serving the interests of hardcore WoW Raiders was more important than people like me who just wanted to play a Star Wars game and the whole thing went F2P in 6 months because the WoW people just left after racing to the end game and being angry about the fact that this brand new game didn't have the eame amount of content as a 10 year old game... :rolleyes:

Anyway, that was €120 I wasn't getting back any time soon.

I picked that up for £10 on Amazon about a year after it came out :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

How about spending lots of money on a machine with no gams worth buying on it!

Got a CDi a few years ago from ebay and it arrived with a busted CD drive. Managed to get the price of a replacement drive from the seller. Have to figure out myself how to repair it, the only tutorial online is my own. Got it work after a lot of hard work and went to discover what delights where on it. I got the much maligned Virtual Boy a few months before it only to discover that there's some really great games on the system. Thought it would be the same with the CDi... it wasn't. The best two games on the system were the two Zelda games that everyone hates. They're not as bad as people say, they're decent enough but hardly worth buying a console for. The supposedly good third Zelda game is in fact one of the worst games ever made. Everything else is either crap or has a superior version on another console.

TL;DR don't buy a CDi.
    Ouch, it legitimately reads like the most fun you got out of the machine was repairing the disc drive!

I reckon almost everyone on this thread would be willing to pay upwards of fifty euro for a Virtual Boy though, even with the assumption there's no good games for it. The novelty factor alone will lead to me buying one at some point for silly money I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Anyway I love when jaapnese games try to do English badly, like this classic where Radiant Silvergun gives you advice on how to kill the last boss:

16sbs-130.jpg

Tbf, they are words to live by. I might have them as my epitaph.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I only paid 80 euro for Under Defeat and it's an awesome game so not on the same level as Xenogears.

.... how much did the rest of us pay for it? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cormac... wrote: »
    £50 on Sunset Riders for the SNES

That seems like good value to me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ouch, it legitimately reads like the most fun you got out of the machine was repairing the disc drive!

I reckon almost everyone on this thread would be willing to pay upwards of fifty euro for a Virtual Boy though, even with the assumption there's no good games for it. The novelty factor alone will lead to me buying one at some point for silly money I'd say.

Well the Zelda games aren't so bad, I'd like to finish them but there's another problem. The battery that powers the save ram is long dead and in many CDi machines this battery is buried under a heap of epoxy next to a delicate quartz crystal used for the timing of the system. Replacing that is not easy. So I have to finish each in one sitting and that game likes to crash!

As for the virtual boy it was well worth what I paid for it. It has a tiny library but most of those games are top notch Nintendo first party stuff with a good few third party efforts. It's an easy enough machine to collect for as well, the best games are cheap and even the rare ones are cheap enough... Well the rare ones worth playing, there's a few howlers that go in the 1000+ euro region.
    .... how much did the rest of us pay for it? ;)

20 euro for the European version... Which was full price. Rub it in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

I've never overpaid for a game because I only buy PC games from Key sites.

My first stupid expensive purchase was a copy of Virtua Racing for the Megadrive, in the weeks after release.
    It had sold out everywhere and I ended up answering a small ad that ended up with my paying £60 as it was then for the game, cart only.
    And who sold me the overpriced preowned game?
    Gamesworld, later to be GameStop!
    In their defence, they were, and still are, a lovely bunch of lads and I ended up working for them in the late 90s, on my day off from nursing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

My first stupid expensive purchase was a copy of Virtua Racing for the Megadrive, in the weeks after release.
    It had sold out everywhere and I ended up answering a small ad that ended up with my paying £60 as it was then for the game, cart only.
    And who sold me the overpriced preowned game?
    Gamesworld, later to be GameStop!
    In their defence, they were, and still are, a lovely bunch of lads and I ended up working for them in the late 90s, on my day off from nursing!

£60 wasn't too bad for VR second hand. Iirc the rrp was £70 due to the extra hardware included inside the cart.

£60 wasn't too bad for VR second hand. Iirc the rrp was £70 due to the extra hardware included inside the cart.

I am a bit of a Virtua Racing nut, not terribly good at it but i have multiple versions.
    I've the EU, USA and Jap versions of the MD/Genesis game.
    I've the m'eh Saturn port and the simply brilliant 32x edition.
    The edition on the Sega Ages compilation for the PS2 is pretty decent, but the 32x one is the best.
    It's ridiculous though, to be able to play the game on a Megadrive, even with the extra chip, it's so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Rezident wrote: »
    I've never overpaid for a game because I only buy PC games from Key sites.

There was a time they didn't exist:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I am a bit of a Virtua Racing nut, not terribly good at it but i have multiple versions.
    I've the EU, USA and Jap versions of the MD/Genesis game.
    I've the m'eh Saturn port and the simply brilliant 32x edition.
    The edition on the Sega Ages compilation for the PS2 is pretty decent, but the 32x one is the best.
    It's ridiculous though, to be able to play the game on a Megadrive, even with the extra chip, it's so good.

Same, really loved it myself. Have the pretty decent MD version, the disappointing Saturn version and the fantastic Virtua Racing Deluxe for the 32X. Remember the 32x port of Virtua Fighter being better than the original Saturn version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

Most I have paid for a game from game to DLC is Destiny don't regret it as it has become one if my favourite games. As for single game buy I bought a copy if Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes off E bay can't remember how much I paid but it was way to much but again it was a great game.
    A regret would be No mans Sky paid 50 for that even though its a great 15 euro game

Most ive paid full stop for a game wouldve been Wily Wars for the megadrive, four or so years ago. 250 notes.
    Most ive overpaid would probably be the collectors edition of WWE2k16, 100 euro and id say i played it all of three times

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

most I payed for a pc game is World of Warcraft: Legion Collectors edition which was 86 euros and most I ever paid for a console game was the launch day of the N64, payed £70 for Turok.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Obviously not a Steel Battalion player then! ;)

I played a bit of it, with the controller - totally different ball game cause that made sense and the buttons did *stuff* that I could learn. SWTOR had rows of buttons that did "powers" and I didn't know what any of them meant. I didn't know what drawing aggro was about, I didn't know what stacking buffs and debuffs was all about, I didn't know why I simply didn't have "swing lightsaber/block attacks/use Force" etc - simplified controls for blapping mofos. MMO's have their own language, the game *NEVER* tried to explain that to me nor did it offer anything by way of guides for how to learn.

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »
    I played a bit of it, with the controller - totally different ball game cause that made sense and the buttons did *stuff* that I could learn. SWTOR had rows of buttons that did "powers" and I didn't know what any of them meant. I didn't know what drawing aggro was about, I didn't know what stacking buffs and debuffs was all about, I didn't know why I simply didn't have "swing lightsaber/block attacks/use Force" etc - simplified controls for blapping mofos. MMO's have their own language, the game *NEVER* tried to explain that to me nor did it offer anything by way of guides for how to learn.

I only played the earlier RPG games on the XBox, so good.
    MMO's just don't appeal so I avoid.
    I would hazard a guess that the most money laid down on a videogame has been some numpty crouched over WoW or similar buying weapons, buffs and gods know what else.
    I never understood how the visceral force of sword play could be expressed with clicks on a mouse, it's like someone decided Excel is fun but lets see what else we can do with these mad skillz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't mind spending a little over the odds on games that I get huge use out of, but it's just soul destroying to buy a game that turns out to be absolute crap. Obviously doesn't happen to the same extent now, if even at all really, as it did 15-20 years ago, back when games were often bought on the strength of the cover art.

My worst purchase had to be when I choose South Park on the PSX over Command and Conquer Retaliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Most I've paid would have been the destiny series and DLC.. I do like it though. Not even sure how much now.

Most I've paid for a game and not played at all was halo master chief collection. I only bought it for the online experience, and it basically didn't work. At all. It was eventually patched and patched and patched and patched and then sort of worked after 6 months, but at that stage I just didn't care. Probably played about 5 hours of it for 60 euro. Haven't really played halo at all since then. Destiny all the way now.

Good thread...

Muppet man

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Whatever I paid for Splinter Cell Blacklist, couldn't get into it at all.
    As someone who enjoyed the series up to that point (even Splinter Cell Conviction) it fell very flat for me, couldn't even finish it.

A shame as I don't like many stealth games.

Probably €20 for Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Probably €20 for Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Wow, I loved that... I can hardly call it a game, more like a visual novel crossed with a radio play.
    But it, together with Firewatch, have been a couple of the highlights of the last 12 months of gaming.

Wow, I loved that... I can hardly call it a game, more like a visual novel crossed with a radio play.
    But it, together with Firewatch, have been a couple of the highlights of the last 12 months of gaming.

Thought it was pretty awful myself. If the main feature of your game is going to be story then it needs to be good. Everybody has gone to rapture really failed in that regard when it got pants on head stupid halfway through.

Street Fighter 2 Special Championship Edition on the Mega Drive

Great game but it was £70 in the mid 90s!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Bought EA MMA for €50 on release a few weeks later it was on sale for around €10.
    Bought PES 2017 on release day in argos for €57, the very next day it was €45. Only a tenner but still annoyed me.
    Lessons to be learned on waiting for the price drop post release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I have a hazy memory of I think my 14th or 15th birthday and my Mam scrimping and saving, not long after my parents split up, just to get me Prince Of Persia on the SNES, I think it cost 80 pounds in Peat's on Parnell St at the time...

Mental money, probably around 130 euro nowadays, and probably around 2 weeks part time work for my Mam

We couldn't afford a big PC back then to play it and I was obsessed with it when I played it in her friends house where I played it on PC constantly, in hindsight when I got it home and played it with the sexier graphics it was great, up until I got stuck at the exact same part I could not pass on PC... :)

I then realised I should have got Mario world or something instead... :/

Games were so expensive at the time I think it was a huge lesson for me about duff games back then - games were a treat maybe twice a year, and as SNES games were so bloody expensive, I made sure to research every game I bought from then on in CVG and Edge

As shît as the game was, and it really wasn't - the effort that my mother went to in order to get me that game, I will never forget, she's some woman, and she still is... :)

Advertisement