Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most you've (over)paid for a game

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Most I've paid would have been the destiny series and DLC.. I do like it though. Not even sure how much now.

Most I've paid for a game and not played at all was halo master chief collection. I only bought it for the online experience, and it basically didn't work. At all. It was eventually patched and patched and patched and patched and then sort of worked after 6 months, but at that stage I just didn't care. Probably played about 5 hours of it for 60 euro. Haven't really played halo at all since then. Destiny all the way now.

Good thread...

Muppet man

Now that you mention it, I was the exact same. Rabid Halo fan, but the MCC actually killed my love for both the franchise and the XB1 in one swoop.

It was their golden opportunity and they made such a diabolical mess of it.

I'm sure it works now but I haven't bothered checking and the game sits gathering dust on a shelf.

I suppose I did get some value out of play Halo 2 remastered...

One of Microsoft's finest misfires in recent years, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm pretty sure Rock Band is the only game I've ever spent triple figures on, and frankly given what was in the box (and sequels... and DLC... and keyboard later on) I don't feel I overpaid. Got plenty of fun out of it, both solo and with friends, but definitely the most I've paid for a single game by a very long shot.

After that it'd be imports of Mushihimesama Futari and Espgaluda 2 for the 360, but they were only a few euro above your typical western launch price so nothing outrageous.

I bought Toy Story 2 for the PS1 when I was a kid with confirmation or birthday money or something, and I saw the box recently and was a bit shocked to see a £49.99 sticker on it (punts), which I think was a good bit. Was probably a bit too young to really appreciate the actual cost of games back then, so who knows might have paid something silly for, well, something silly.

These days, there's not really any reason to overpay for anything, thankfully. The absolute surplus of critical & informative information available about each and every game means any purchasing decision is entirely the player's choice and there's few good reasons to be lured into buying a dud. That matched with the abundance of sales on almost every platform means the days of having to pay outrageous prices for a game you're looking for are pretty much over. Well, unless somebody invents another attention-grabbing 'band in a box' like peripheral, but I think that sort of thing may be consigned to history :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Destiny is the most expensive game this gen that I have played, and in fairness probably my favourite love/hate/digital crack addiction game this gen...

I'm a big Bungo (deliberate) fan, even back to the Myth and Oni days, and for the value I have gotten out of it for the money I have pumped into it was worth it....

Was 60 for the limited campaign when it came out, 35 quid for a "season pass" which was really a 1 year pass, 40 for Taken King Expansion and 30 for the latest Rise Of Iron expansion

165 quid all in, going into year 3...

That's serious value in hindsight, considering I have about 3 weeks worth of real world hours played... :O

And that's nothing compared to my fellow Boardsie band of brothers, who play far more than I ever could.... :)

Yes there have been patches when I haven't played it in 3 months, as I was playing other games - but I always go back to it, constantly... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

... means the days of having to pay outrageous prices for a game you're looking for are pretty much over. Well, unless somebody invents another attention-grabbing 'band in a box' like peripheral, but I think that sort of thing may be consigned to history :cool:

Won't have to wait too long, the PSVR is on the way!
    Watch for it to feature on a thread like this in 18 months time!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I bought Skyrim and the DLCs on the PS3, then got a PS4 and bought Skyrim for the PC and the DLCs and I'm seriously tempted to get it again on the PS4. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

The one that sticks in my mind is Elder Scrolls online for the sheer gall factor.

I paid 60 quid for the game and then was told I needed to sub for a month to get the free month. Whole lot worked out like 80 quid. I then realised it was badly overhyped and basically was a heap of junk. But I had paid for 2 months so I was practically forced to play it before my 80 euro went up in smoke behind a paywall. It went free to play years later. Drives me mad to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Street Fighter 2 Special Championship Edition on the Mega Drive

Great game but it was £70 in the mid 90s!!
    Paid £75 for it back then which works out at around €150 after taking inflation into account. Probably around the same for Super Mario Kart. Zero regrets with either of course.

Outside of that, the most I've ever paid for a game would be the complete band pack for Guitar Hero World Tour, that was around £150 I think? Also paid £109 for the God of War III Ultimate Trilogy edition but that wasn't so bad since it also came with the remastered versions of the first two games and, at the time, was the only way to get them.

I guess you could consider paying $50 for Kirby's Dream Collection two years ago overpaying since, as of yet, I can't play it until I mod my Wii. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I paid 2.50 for Duke Nukem Forever. A serious rip off in terms of price and also the time I put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Went Grandmaster on Warframe, and then spent a little more over time...I think I ended up pumping about $400 into it over a year. Didn't really care for the ingame currency, it was mainly to support development as it was so refreshing having a fast skill based shooter again after so many years of slowed/dumbed down crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Urban Chaos: Riot Response is the top of my list. Paid full whack for that game and I hated it, hated the game so bloody much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

marko93 wrote: »
    Urban Chaos: Riot Response is the top of my list. Paid full whack for that game and I hated it, hated the game so bloody much.

Get out of here! That game is excellent! It's unashamedly stupid. Using your riot shield to block everything from bullets to RPG rocket Launchers was so much fun.

The same team went on to make the Batman Arkham Asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Get out of here! That game is excellent! It's unashamedly stupid. Using your riot shield to block everything from bullets to RPG rocket Launchers was so much fun.

The same team went on to make the Batman Arkham Asylum.

10 year younger version of me remembers hating the game :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

There's a difference between paid and overpaid though :)

I mean, if you liked the game and/or got value for money out of it, it's not overpaid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

800 league of legends. But ive so many skina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Cormac... wrote: »
    There's a difference between paid and overpaid though :)

I mean, if you liked the game and/or got value for money out of it, it's not overpaid

That's the attitude I take to my heroin addiction as well…

Advertisement