Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fence/Sign & Gate Post Foundation

• 29-09-2016 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi All.

I've had a friend of mine come to me for help and now I'm coming to the wonderful boards community for some advice.

He is a mechanic who works from a garage out the back of his house. He wants to install a new gate and some steel frames to act as signs. He wants to do the work himself with help of a few friends so has asked me what foundation sizes he would need. I work in construction but I've not done any work like this before so don't really know what is required.

The steel sign panels will be a simple design of two uprights and two horizontal sections made of 40mm box section. I would of thought that a 400 x 400 x 600 concrete footing with frames bolted down would be more than enough but I could be wrong.

The gate will be about 3m wide and 1.5m high and will swing open. It will be made of 40mm box section and be covered in 1mm steel sheeting. I really have no idea how big the foundation for this should be.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

That's pretty much exclusively structural advice which isn't allowed here for a variety of reasons.

I'd definitely consider a roller wheel on the gate - it will substantially reduce the loading on the foundations and gate structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

The NRA design manuals have typical details for fence and gate foundations. Or Tii manuals. Not sure on the name anymore

Advertisement