Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richie Byrne - RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Sad news indeed, Richie was there right from the Start of the Irish mountain bike scene and was a national MTB and cyclocross champion, as well as winning many MTB enduro titles as well...

He will be sadly missed by everybody in the MTB and wider outdoor community...Rest in Peace..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

C3PO wrote: »

Oh man, only saw him a few weeks back in the Giant store. A real character. So sorry to read this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I bought my first proper road bike of Ritchie in the Giant shop. Very nice guy and always looking to make sure you bought the right bike for you. Very nice guy.RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sad news. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Terrible news, and so unfair.

Rode with him for many years with EPIC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Legend... generous with his time and inspirational with his take on his illness...

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭secman

Met him many moons ago in the early days of mtb..through an old work colleague Mick Murphy, sad to hear this news. May he rest in prace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Remember when he started the beginner MTB spins and I brought my son over. Really encouraging and my son still remembers the fun he had and the tips he gave.
    A huge loss to Irish Cycling and to society in general.
    Hope he finds some great trails on the next world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Thanks for the lovely messages, he was my brother. great to see such wonderful words about him, he was one of a kind, if he fell out with you probably meant he liked you..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

bullvine wrote: »
    ...... if he fell out with you probably meant he liked you..

Hah ... so true! Myself and Richie had a very fractious relationship over the years but thankfully always made up! I'll miss him terribly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I didn't know him at all personally but I did bring my two kids up to his Ticknock MTB spins and it was really fantastic that he was willing and happy to give his time to introduce a new generation to biking. Very sad news that the cancer got the better of him. From his consistent social media positivity I had understood that he was coming out the other side of it.

RIP.

fat bloke wrote: »
    I didn't know him at all personally but I did bring my two kids up to his Ticknock MTB spins and it was really fantastic that he was willing and happy to give his time to introduce a new generation to biking. Very sad news that the cancer got the better of him. From his consistent social media positivity I had understood that he was coming out the other side of it.

RIP.

He got some very bad news a couple of weeks back and just went downhill rapid unfortunately. Its happened very fast. Its overwhelming to see such wonderful words about him on Social Media, he was an angry bastid but only wanted the best for cycling, he wasnt always in the right but he lived some life, he should have really wrote a book.

C3PO wrote: »
    Hah ... so true! Myself and Richie had a very fractious relationship over the years but thankfully always made up! I'll miss him terribly!

You knew him well so with a response like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Richie truly was the Godfather of Irish Mountaining.Very keen to help and encourage (mostly by shouting abuse LOL )others and very passionate to drive the whole Irish MTB scene/sport upwards and onwards.
    Richie will be missed,but never forgotten.

My condolence's to yourself bullvine and to all Richie's family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Had the pleasure of encountering Richie about 12 years ago as a young lad just getting interested in biking. Knew him for a few years but hadn't seen or heard from him for a long time up until I heard of his diagnosis and followed his blog throughout. He was an absolute character with an incredible ability to simultaneously terrify, motivate and overwhelmingly entertain a large number of people of different ages from all walks of life. His passion for the biking and the outdoors was absolute and he will be sorely missed. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Richie was an absolute pleasure to deal with in the Giant Store. I wouldn't have my TCR if it wasn't for him.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Andy Magic wrote: »
    Richie was an absolute pleasure to deal with in the Giant Store. I wouldn't have my TCR if it wasn't for him.

RIP.

+1. He lauded me for bringing my TCR back in for its first service - "most people don't bother!" he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dragon_lordMTB

Very sad to hear this news. Richie and EpicMTB are linked in my head as I first went on a spin with him in 2002. He was a force of nature and was the only reason I made it to the top of Camaderry and back again on those legendary spins.
    The EPIC blast(s) and club races were some of the best days I've had on a bike!

My deepest sympathies to his family.

Clive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭alexinkildare

RIP Richie. A pioneer for the Irish MTB scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Very sad news to hear.

Like many I started out on the MTB back in 2003 with Richie and the EPIC spins. You'd always be a tad nervous heading out, wondering which rock of death or skidderyness he'd make you cycle down! If you wimped out you'd be slagged mercilessly for "ruining the spin"!

I guess his legacy is the amount of people he has inspired to cycle and get outdoors.

RIP to Richie and best wishes to his family.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Met him briefly at a few MTB and cross events and he just gave the air of a man in love with life and the bike.
    Someone who made the world a more interesting place.
    RIP

We are overwhelmed by the support and messages on Social Network. I am just so glad he tried to drive biking in this country. He only ever wanted the best, even if he sometimes went about it the wrong way.

We adored him as a big brother. #****cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I met Richie and Carol through the gym, and he and I actually started kickboxing together, which makes it a long time ago. A gentleman.

I happened to be coaching a group of cyclists last night, of various ages and backgrounds, and every single one of them knew Richie and had their own story to tell about him.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

never actually got to meet the man himself but when i was getting into mtbing i used epics forum for a few questions on some bikes i was looking at, was rightfully given some abuse by the man himself, buy a giant you goober :D

been into mtbing for 6-7 years now and ive no idea how i didnt get to bump into the man, big regret of mine i must say. so sorry for your and his families loss bullvine

RIP Richie

#****cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

RIP Richie. Very sad, I wasn't expecting it.

The man who introduced the phrase "mad fecker" into mountain biking.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

still reeling after hearing about Richie passing away. He truly was the chuck Norris of the mtb world, Under the moustache he was one of the funniest caring and supportive men you could meet. his contribution to irish cycling is legendary, he always had time for people, always willing to take you under his wing. You will be missed, See ya on the trail in the sky...
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Didn't know the guy personally but only learned of him through social media after his diagnosis.

I followed his posts on social media that documented his fight against this terrible disease and was going he'd come out the other end.

From what I learned of the guy he was a total legend and a great loss.

RIP. Fcuk you cancer.

• Advertisement

Any club secretaries out there could nominate Richie for induction into the Cycling Ireland Hall of Fame:

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/cycling-ireland-hall-of-fame-proposals/2207

Advertisement