Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Voice UK 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Seems nowadays, mens' falsetto, will get them everywhere. In one case this evening, the guy singing was just okay. The instant he went falsetto, all the buzzers were hit at once on the first falsetto note. What's the big deal? In many cases, IMO, it comes across as just another gimic.

Two hours of battles gets a bit tiresome in the end. Entertaining, neverthelesss! The judges were taking their roles fairly seriously, so not so much messing around. More of the same tomorrow!

I see The Voice UK - 2 hours of battles - will be clashing with Dancing with the Stars. "Dancing" will take pereference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Did you see Will run and give Tom a big hug when he stole his act. There's a real bromance there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Loving Sir Tom :) You can leave your hat on :D

• Advertisement

I wish they did more judges group performances. Used to love that. Especially when Tom would knock every song out of the park :) maybe they will tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why was Truly nodding when she thought the camera was off her just before her name was announced to go through I wonder??

Maybe she was nodding at family in the audience. Was quite shocked at acts that got through on the public vote for Will. Then who he picked himself. Anyone else think Jennifer hasn't anything interesting to say? Come on with the judges performances. Missing Ricky's energy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Anybody still watching this. It's actually not a bad last 8 I think. Well 2 of the lads are very forgettable, but have the makings of a very good quality final 4 here.
    Seems it's not getting the viewers for ITV that it did on BBC, but i'm not surprised. Those ad breaks kill it. We record it each time. Watched last Saturdays 2 hour 5 min show in just over an hour.

It's pretty good, and I hope Mo wins, he is a class apart. Truly & Jamie are great too. I see how Max & Michelle will appeal to their own audiences too. The other 3 can go.

I'm watching but getting increasingly bored as it goes on. Unless it improves in the next few weeks I won't be watching at all next year. Jennifer and Gavin are boring, I am sick of Will watching everything through his tablet/phone. Put them down, have good manners and watch what's in front of you Will. Are there no product placement rules any more? I do love Tom though .

• Advertisement

I am preferring the American version. Dunno since Ricky left it's not the same for me

Missing Ricky too. Saw him with Greg Davies in a hot tub last night. My EYES !

Anyone watching the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Autosport wrote: »
    Anyone watching the final?

I am..finding it a bit dull tbh.

Michelle blew it out of the park :eek:

Michelle blew it out of the park :eek:

She's brilliant..her dress though is awful imo and Jennifer is like something out of Dallas..Will is like someone at a crime scene.

They must have got dressed in the dark :D I enjoyed all performances so far. Let's see how the duets will go

They must have got dressed in the dark :D I enjoyed all performances so far. Let's see how the duets will go

Toms coming...ooh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Pixie Lott sounded crap! Shaking her half bare arse at the camera was pure cringey too.

So glad Mo and Into the Ark got through :)

• Advertisement

Getting excited now :) Mo to win *fingers crossed*

I'm so freaking happy now :D I had said from his auditions that he should win and this time I got it right :D Woohooooo!!!!!!!

Delighted Mo won. Would have been happy with Into the Ark too but wanted Mo to win :)

I am now watching The voice Kids :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea have it on here... Irish lad up now.

.. and he did very well!

This looks promising. A more energetic show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Crumbs - still only on page 4 and barely four thousand views, despite there having been a Kids series too...

And there doesn't seem to be much excitement about the 2018 adult series, which starts this Saturday night. Even Olly Murs becoming a judge - replacing Gavin - seems to have been met with a collective "Meh."

No doubt there were viewers who chose not to follow the show from the BBC to ITV - just as there were viewers who, like Mel and Sue, chose not to follow GBBO from the Beeb to Channel 4. And no doubt, either, that at least some of the viewers who *were* prepared to put up with the channel change at first were put off by, as feared, the show becoming that bit more like the X Factor - and, indeed, that bit more American...

Personally, I wasn't happy when I learned of the channel change - but as a fan of the show since it began in 2012 (six years ago already? Wow), I was prepared to give ITV a chance at first, ads and all. However, my first impressions of the 2017 judging line-up were not good - nor were my first impressions of the format tweaks (in particular, the judges never coming face-to-face with acts they don't push their buttons for).

And when these impressions did not change after the first episode, and the other differences also failed to please me, I realised that my time as a fan was ending. :o I continued to follow this thread, of course - but didn't give the rest of the series my full attention, nor did I follow the Kids series.

Which meant, unfortunately, that I wasn't all that excited when Jennifer was the winning judge, or when Pixie Lott was the winning Kids judge. During the BBC years, of course, I made a big deal (without intending to be sexist) about the Curse of the Female Judges - both of Jessie J's final acts finishing fourth, Kylie's final act finishing fourth too, and none of Rita Ora's or Paloma Faith's acts reaching the final. Had the show still been on the Beeb, I'd almost certainly have been pretty excited about Jennifer finally breaking the curse, and Pixie consigning it to history altogether - but instead, I found myself reacting with a shrug of the shoulders... :o

And so it is that I probably won't be following the 2018 adult series, the second Kids series later in the year, or any series thereafter (the show will almost certainly remain on ITV for the rest of its life, now that ITV Studios owns the format). I probably won't be following any threads for these series, either.

Take it away, Roxette:

I will, however, continue to remember the BBC years with fondness. :) I'll think of Tom, Will, the spinning chairs and the high level of talent, of course - but I'll think of Jessie and Kylie in particular, as well as Andrea Begley and the shock nature of her victory in 2013:

Andrea-Begley_wins_2597696b.jpg

As for the viewing figures always falling after the blind auditions, and the winners drifting back into obscurity fairly quickly, I certainly won't be derisive like the tabloids and gossip sites - I'll simply say "Que sera sera."

The Voice is undoubtedly one of the biggest global talent show formats of the 2010s. And, like the Idol and Got Talent formats, it'll be remembered, fondly or not so fondly, in many parts of the world - including the UK - long after it stops being a phenomenon.

Finis. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's one of those shows that I'll watch if I stumble on it and there's nothing else I want to see - just as how I have it on here now because I was watching Take Me Out (cheesy and scripted but still entertaining :p).

As for the judges.. Olly Murs? Ok... and I've no idea who this Jennifer one is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Damn

Jennifer and Tom weren't pissing around there

That was some singing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As for the judges.. Olly Murs? Ok... and I've no idea who this Jennifer one is?

She rose to fame on American Idol before winning an Oscar for her part in Dreamgirls.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, she was also a judge on the most recent season of the US Voice:

Advertisement