Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What winter wheels do you use (if any) on the road?

Options
  • 29-09-2016 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

This will be my first winter on the road bike. Unfortunately I'm not fortuitous enough to be able to adhere to the N+1 rule when it comes to bikes - in other words, I only have the 1 road bike, which will have to do me for winter. The wheels I have on the road bike are too good to cycle in the inclement winter weather / gritted roads. Just wondering what winter wheels you use (if any) and what would be a sensible budget for a set of winter wheels taking into consideration it could be money down the toilet if the wheels get beaten up on the Irish roads this winter? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

I use these and find them grand for winter months.

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=98909

Just to add, i've 12,000km on them so far, they still run thru and rims in good condition. I'd do 4 to 6 cycles a week throughout winter months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

oconnpad wrote: »
    I use these and find them grand for winter months.

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=98909

Just to add, i've 12,000km on them so far, they still run thru and rims in good condition. I'd do 4 to 6 cycles a week throughout winter months.

Jeez, that's some hammering on those wheels. Impressive stuff. Did you ever have issues with the bearings? I have heard bearings on cheaper wheels can be quite poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Aksiums are bomb proof... some even race on them. hubs can be serviced but if the hub is gone and you've 10k+ on them its time to get a new set.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

I've had those Mavic's for two winters great winter wheel while they lasted, but all the spoke nipples rusted on the rims and became loose and could not be adjusted.
    But for the money two winters is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought a second hand set of Zondas about 3 yrs ago as winter wheels. They've seen done mud crud and crap in that time but are still dead straight abc the bearings are still buttery smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Nope, haven't had to do anything to them so far.

I do keep my bike clean-ish, have race blade mudguards on it, plus once a month chain degrease so maybe all that helps the life of wheels.

See them for €150 on wiggle at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

+1 on Mavic...great wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Have a set of pave 28's for winter with continental 4 seasons 25mm tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

6 years out of mavic ksyrium sl's on my bike all year round, now replaced with campag zonda's

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

I've aksiums also. 4 winters, 12000km. Still flawless. Brought them to be serviced by my local mech at the end of last winter, he said hubs were still spot on. They get dogs abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Get a set of the cheaper Campagnolo ones - the last set I had were Khamsins I think - they will last years and probably cost approx 150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Thanks all, some good recommendations here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The whole winter summer thing is a bit misleading, wet days will effect hubs abd rim wear more than anything.

Have a look here and look at the seasonal average, while winter is wetter it's not exactly dry/season wet season like Tanzania for example.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/rainfall.asp

If you don't use full mudguards, rims will last a lot longer; they collect all spray and grime from where it drips onto rim.

If you do use mudguards you'll get ( by most reviews) a well built mavic open sport rim with 105 hubs for about 180 from Merlin cycles.

Easy to maintain hubs.

Quick wipe off rims after a wet ride and a occasional check for pad grit and rims will last a long time.

Or just get a new bike with disc brakes😀

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Mavic open pro 36H on ultegra from these guys 3 years ago. 3 winters and commuting /training all year round. Currently using them for cx races and training while im waiting for new cx wheels.

I get them tuned twice a year and they are still straight as a dye and hubs and frewheel are smooth. Rims will probably wear out soon but they have massive mileage.

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=235_242&products_id=2834&zenid=8nc65easbd96sf08lsr2qu2e86

Advertisement