Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Mobile Broadband Speeds

• 29-09-2016 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Recently joined up with ID Mobile with Hauwai MiFi device. Its a 3g service but my download speed is 3.8Mb, upload 575 kb. Seems a bit on the slow end. Customer care describe 3g coverage is good in my area, Dunlaoghaire, & will look into it but dont appear to be able to do anything about it. The service is on the 3 network. Local coverage conditions etc. Any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not broadband, its midband. 4Mb down on their network isnt half bad tbh.

You dont pay €20/mo and get something comparable to €50/mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭editorsean

It would be worth trying to get a lend of a 4G dongle/router to check if you get 4G coverage. In case you checked with a 4G mobile phone, their broadband SIM does not allow 4G access in mobiles for some reason, so the only way to check for 4G is with a 4G dongle/router or check with a Three SIM in a 4G capable phone.

Although I'm in a rural area, it's generally quicker in the evening than what I get with a Three prepay SIM, such as the following examples with TestMy between swapping the SIM cards, iD Mobile on the left:

N9zE6GIKF.mSafiIn7P.pngctLQxOADl.vXpctV6jH.png

The following is test with iD Mobile on switcher to compare with your result:

h4k2BlV.png

iD Mobile seems to be capped around 20Mbps. For example, with a large download will generally settle about 2.5MB/s even off-peak, whereas Three will usually exceed 5MB/s (40Mbps) off-peak depending on the signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mrtom

editorsean wrote: »
    It would be worth trying to get a lend of a 4G dongle/router to check if you get 4G coverage. In case you checked with a 4G mobile phone, their broadband SIM does not allow 4G access in mobiles for some reason, so the only way to check for 4G is with a 4G dongle/router or check with a Three SIM in a 4G capable phone.

Although I'm in a rural area, it's generally quicker in the evening than what I get with a Three prepay SIM, such as the following examples with TestMy between swapping the SIM cards, iD Mobile on the left:

N9zE6GIKF.mSafiIn7P.pngctLQxOADl.vXpctV6jH.png

The following is test with iD Mobile on switcher to compare with your result:

h4k2BlV.png

iD Mobile seems to be capped around 20Mbps. For example, with a large download will generally settle about 2.5MB/s even off-peak, whereas Three will usually exceed 5MB/s (40Mbps) off-peak depending on the signal.

I went with ID because their deal is 25Gb @ €15 pm payg. Was unable to test for 4g coverage on their network. ID say they can usualy deliver between 3 & 9Mbs with 3g on their network. Thanks for the detail.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: Not Broadband, moved to midband forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭editorsean

I took the ID Mobile SIM to Donegal town and gave it a quick test run on my mobile, both tests below on 3G. The left test was just after 5pm and likely elevated with many watching the replay match. The second was just before I left the town near 7pm.

5x2GRBINQ.VnYX9c1M3.pngMdeUW8YAX.klUgLvbY6.png

So it does appear that ID can deliver a fair speed even on 3G, but obviously depending on the load of the Three cell tower and its backhaul if fed by microwave link.

• Advertisement
Advertisement