Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress with Chinese Language support

Options
  • 29-09-2016 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I have been recently asked to do a wordpress website that needs to be rendered in both English and Chinese.

The requester is providing a translation for the content so I am looking for a plugin that will allow me enter dual content (English and Chinese) and show the appropriate content based on where the site is accessed form or the users language settings.

Alternatively would I be better off recommend the site owners setup a replica site with a Chinese domain (.cn). I think that would be the simpler and cleaner option.

Any recommendations very much appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

You'll want to go with https://wpml.org/ for translations. It's pretty much the de-facto choice for wordpress translations.

Regarding your .cn question, it depends.

If the sites users will be from mainland china (PRC) then go for the .cn domain, and get the site served from a CDN within the PRC.

Having done Chinese localisation for a huge company based in the US, there were a number of stumbling blocks. (The 'Golden Shield' firewall can be a cruel mistress).

The site was hosted on AWS (Asia Pacific locations), and the load times were woeful. We switched to a CDN based in the PRC and the speeds increased, we then changed the domain to a .cn and saw significant further speed increases. You want to make the site seem as 'local' as possible.

Don't forget to also remove any links on the site to blocked domains in the PRC - Google, Twitter, etc. (that means no google analytics)

Also, there's no need to a have a 'replica' site, you can use WPML and Wordpress Multisite to achieve the same thing, that way you won't have to maintain two different code-base.

Advertisement