Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on refurbishing apartment after purchase

Options
  • 29-09-2016 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi everyone,

I am about to purchase an apartment for myself to live in, the place is relatively new and in good state but I would like to make some improvements such as:

- new floors throughout
    - replace radiators
    -new bathroom and kitchen
    - convert a storage space into walk-in wardrobe
    - painting, new lights and other deco bits

The flat is 2 bedrooms, 82 sq meters but I have no idea how much I should budget for this as I have never dealt with builders before, Im not DYI at all so Ill probably get professionals for everything I need done.
    Would anyone have a rough estimate or even if you have recommendations for building companies to work with or any advice in general, Id be happy to take it :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Noelle85 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am about to purchase an apartment for myself to live in, the place is relatively new and in good state but I would like to make some improvements such as:

- new floors throughout
    - replace radiators
    -new bathroom and kitchen
    - convert a storage space into walk-in wardrobe
    - painting, new lights and other deco bits

The flat is 2 bedrooms, 82 sq meters but I have no idea how much I should budget for this as I have never dealt with builders before, Im not DYI at all so Ill probably get professionals for everything I need done.
    Would anyone have a rough estimate or even if you have recommendations for building companies to work with or any advice in general, Id be happy to take it :)

Thanks!

That is very subjective. You could scale the above jobs from 10k to 50k depending on what you are purchasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Sounds like a complete internal refurb - is it all necessary if the place is relatively new? I did something similar to my place but thats because it was 15 years old and had been rented out, so was scruffy.

My place is about 100m2. I didnt do the bathrooms or radiators (although I probably will eventually) but I spent the following

-€7.5k new kitchen inc new appliances
    -€3k on flooring throughout, mixture of carpet and laminate
    -€2k on painting throughout, including materials

I also spend about another 2k on other improvements that hadn't even occurred to me prior to moving in, like fitting a pump for improved water pressure and fitting a Stira for access to the attic and other jobs.

Then theres all the furniture!

Hope you're planning to stay there a few years to benefit from all the improvements!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Noelle85

Thank you Cuddlesworth,

I´m thinking more in terms of labor cost if there is a general average for this type of work to help me have a rough budget.

Thats really helpful Sarahmollie, thanks so much!

Im moving with my son and will be staying there for many years it seems so I want to make sure it is comfortable for us and give the flat more value as well. Do you remember how long the whole refurb took?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Ive been pricing out something similar but for a house and Ill be leaving the bathrooms as is.

But how I have been pricing it (ball park) has been to go look at flooring and get a rough cost per sq metre, then the guy in the shop gave me a ball park for fitting.

Same with tiles for kitchen. Then i went to a kitchens place and got a ball park on a fitted kitchen on the size I have etc..

Phoned a painter for a ball park quote also - he gave an estimate on paint too.

Im not changing radiators or having any plumbing work done but Im sure a plumber could give you a ball park on that.

Now Im hunting for someone who could do it all rather than try to coordinate 4 different people!

• Advertisement

Also to point out, I did absolutely nothing myself other than chose things. I'm just not DIY inclined. I know some people do their own painting etc, but I've cornicing in some rooms and stuff and I wanted the finish to look professional.

So my figures are about 18months old and based on me not lifting a finger.

Mine took about 2-3 weeks, biggest hassle was coordinating the various trades people... ie waiting for the painting to be finished so the flooring guy could come in.

Also to point out, I did absolutely nothing myself other than chose things. I'm just not DIY inclined. I know some people do their own painting etc, but I've cornicing in some rooms and stuff and I wanted the finish to look professional.

So my figures are about 18months old and based on me not lifting a finger.

Wouldnt lift a finger myself either!

Your quotes are very similar to mine also. Good rough averages for OP.

Thats really helpful Sarahmollie, thanks so much!

Im moving with my son and will be staying there for many years it seems so I want to make sure it is comfortable for us and give the flat more value as well. Do you remember how long the whole refurb took?

Thanks

One thing I'd say is that I'm not sure how much value I've added. Some, certainly, but would I definitely get my money back if I sold in the morning? Unsure. I do think the painting and new carpet were worth it because the walls and flooring were pretty scuzzy and scuffed, but the kitchen I took out was probably fine, so I probably could have spent less.

But like you said yourself, I'm did it so I could enjoy my house more myself as I live there for the next few years!

Thank you all for the replies, I really appreciate as it gives me a starting point :)

This property has been rented for 10 years so it could use a refreshment for sure! I will try and get quotes from separate traders as well as from building companies that provide all the different works. Might be more expensive but at least Ill only deal with one company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

If you're asking about labour costs you might get more specific replies in the Home and Garden section here under DIY or Construction and Planning. As for anything else the sky is the limit. It really depends on what finish you want and your budget. Do you want laminate flooring or solid hardwood? For tiles do you want to buy from Right Price Tiles or from TileStyle etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If you have no experience with such work you would be better to do nothing for 1 year. You will get to know some neighbours and you will invariably meet someone who knows about various jobs done in the apartments and how they worked.
    All wiring and plumbing should be done before anything else as these activities involved drilling holes and making ways for pipes and wires. Doing it after putting down floors or decorating may mean undoing what has been done.
    You will also get recommendations for builders who have operated in your block before. You will find out who is reliable, reasonable and competent and in some cases who is not.
    If you are inexperienced you may be duped by builders and also make bad decisions which will be costly to rectify later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Do all plumbing work first, Going around ikea or other shops is good .
    To get idea,s and pricing.ikea have full size kitchens you can walk around in.
    look for sales , in tiles,carpets,appliances etc
    see bargain alerts forum.
    Theres builders and theres companys that specialize in installing kitchens .

Thanks for the advice!

riclad wrote: »
    Do all plumbing work first, Going around ikea or other shops is good .
    To get idea,s and pricing.ikea have full size kitchens you can walk around in.
    look for sales , in tiles,carpets,appliances etc
    see bargain alerts forum.
    Theres builders and theres companys that specialize in installing kitchens .
    Thanks 4Ensic15 but I dont really want to move in with my little boy with the place not being comfy for us. I think as suggested before i should be able to find suitable builders for the different work and get it all done professionally. I think once I move it and furnish it will be more complicated to undertake upgrading work and Id rather get it done and then move in nicely. The replies here have been really helpful so Im confident it can be achieved :)

The places I priced flooring and tiles had lists of tradespeople they recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

See if you can somehow time your works with the twice-annual (biannual?) 50%-off sale in Tilestyle!

And don't forget the Home Renovations scheme currently due to run til end of 2016 (may be extended in the budget), where you can get a tax credit for works done.

And don't forget the Home Renovations scheme currently due to run til end of 2016 (may be extended in the budget), where you can get a tax credit for works done.
    Thanks a lot Intheclouds, I thought this was only for houses but just looked it up and I would qualify, this is a nice incentive!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Why change the radiators? Are they bad looking? If its over 10years then if changing rads, look into changing to a more efficient gas boiler. You may also get money back from Seai once the person doing works is registered.

mad m wrote: »
    Why change the radiators? Are they bad looking? If its over 10years then if changing rads, look into changing to a more efficient gas boiler. You may also get money back from Seai once the person doing works is registered.
    They are worn out old ugly storage heaters, I would like to try and improve insulation a bit and then update the storage heaters. I dont think I can have a gas boiler as I am in an apartment and the management company probably won´t allow it.

• Advertisement

They are worn out old ugly storage heaters, I would like to try and improve insulation a bit and then update the storage heaters. I dont think I can have a gas boiler as I am in an apartment and the management company probably won´t allow it.

Actually I'm in the same position as you with this, my development is also gas only.

I'd love to replace them but am unsure what to go for in their place. I've looked at some more modern heaters from Dimplex which are still storage but are *apparently* more efficient and easier to control. My current ones are a law unto themselves. They're also slimmer and look much nicer. In terms of resales, I'd think this would be a job worth doing.

I'd have to get my downstairs painted again if I were to do this, so this job is probably a year or two off for that reason alone.

Actually I'm in the same position as you with this, my development is also gas only.

I'd love to replace them but am unsure what to go for in their place. I've looked at some more modern heaters from Dimplex which are still storage but are *apparently* more efficient and easier to control. My current ones are a law unto themselves. They're also slimmer and look much nicer. In terms of resales, I'd think this would be a job worth doing.

I'd have to get my downstairs painted again if I were to do this, so this job is probably a year or two off for that reason alone.
    Exactly, that is why I rather tackle the heaters now before moving in and before painting etc Also with winter coming I would rather have new heaters, better looking and maybe a little cheaper to run or more efficient. I think its one of those things if you dont do it at the start, you just put it off.

Exactly, that is why I rather tackle the heaters now before moving in and before painting etc Also with winter coming I would rather have new heaters, better looking and maybe a little cheaper to run or more efficient. I think its one of those things if you dont do it at the start, you just put it off.

I know, I probably should have done it but I just felt I had so much on my plate and my brain couldnt handle researching another thing!

If you'rs are anything like mine, they're worth replacing just for the look of them, mine are just hideous big lumps. From looking online, the new ones can be about half the size.

I'm not sure how great the efficiency savings would be, I've read some posters on this topic who are skeptical about claims made by manufacturers etc, but its definitely on my to do list.

Thankfully I only have 4 in total, and 2 of them are hidden behind sofas mostly so they're not too bad.

Advertisement