Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The iPhone 7 & 7 Plus Owners Thread - - - - (No posts about deliveries)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Any recommendations for a decent case? My iPhone 7 was just delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭shmeee

Faker74 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a decent case for the standard iPhone 7?

Want something that will protect from most bumps / scratches but won't add too much bulk.
    Any recommendations for a decent case? My iPhone 7 was just delivered.

I bought 2 cases off amazon, like yourself I don't like anything bulky.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GU935VA/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GIVX1YG/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

Have the Spigen one on at moment and it's very nice and light, fits tight around the phone and it's raised above the screen so added bit of protection there.

The Poetic case is a bit more classy with it's colour. Has the grips on the side and the added protection on the corners.

Happy with both purchases.

A lad in a shop here in town tried to get me to pay €25 for a clear case that didn't feel anyway as nice as the ones I got. About €30 for both delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Its pretty straightforward to do on my mk6 golf of the top of my head on the radio settings phone and should be a option to restore factory. I can't imagine it that much more different. If not look in the manual specific for the radio

Thanks, I'll pop out at lunchtime and take another look - I was fiddling around with it yesterday evening with no success. I turned off the bluetooth altogether but didnt see an option for factory restore so I'll look again wtih that in mind.
    kceire wrote: »
    It's an issue with your cars bluetooth connection management. Not a phone issue.
    I've paired 4 iPhone 7's since launch date without issue, one to a parrot, 2 to BMW and one to VW.

Was the VW a built in bluetooth system? Its weird because I know the bluetooth is working, its picking up devices of people around me when I'm in traffic (I obviously don't try to pair with them!) but it won't find the phone thats a few inches away! :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Was the VW a built in bluetooth system? Its weird because I know the bluetooth is working, its picking up devices of people around me when I'm in traffic (I obviously don't try to pair with them!) but it won't find the phone thats a few inches away! :(

Yeah, built in VW system with large colour screen etc
    Very strange issue you seem to be having. Have you deleted the old pairings on the car?

Yeah, built in VW system with large colour screen etc
    Very strange issue you seem to be having. Have you deleted the old pairings on the car?

Yeah I deleted the old pairing for my phone but I've left the one for my OH's phone (not an iPhone). Should I delete that too so there are no pairings left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Saw a similar issue when I sold my Octavia a few years ago. It uses the same head unit and Bluetooth as VW. The new owner could not get his phone to pair so we had to unplug the connector from the Bluetooth module which basically reset it and it worked fine afterwards. It was easy for us to do this as I had retrofitted BT and the module was under the seat. In most cases its behind the dash. And some head units have the BT module built into it. I dont know what one you have but disconnecting the power from the head unit may work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Check the videos on youtube for: reset Volkswagen Golf bluetooth
    Harcrid wrote: »
    Saw a similar issue when I sold my Octavia a few years ago. It uses the same head unit and Bluetooth as VW. The new owner could not get his phone to pair so we had to unplug the connector from the Bluetooth module which basically reset it and it worked fine afterwards. It was easy for us to do this as I had retrofitted BT and the module was under the seat. In most cases its behind the dash. And some head units have the BT module built into it. I dont know what one you have but disconnecting the power from the head unit may work.

As seen in the videos that show up in the search on YT that I suggested above.

??? My bluetooth is built in (I got the technology pack that they were giving free for 2015 pre orders back at the end of 2014) so the notions of rooting around trying to plug things in and out is a bit terrifying! I don't have a head unit, I just use it through the cars speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Maddie22

I just got my iPhone 7plus and I love it. It's just so snappy. I bought a glass screen protector from eBay for it but it's a bit narrow for the phone and the edges of the screen protector are more angular which imo would look ridiculous. What do you guys think. Screen protector or not?? Maybe a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Can someone recommend a good car mount for the iPhone 7 Plus? One that doesn't move around when driving.

• Advertisement

So.... just off the phone with Volkswagen and apparently the last iOS that is compatible wtih the unit in my car is iOS 9.

Absolute rage.

Some guy who rang me from their UK call center (based on an email that I'd sent to their Irish customer care center) was being very reassuring saying "oh you know, they may not be compatable yet, but I'm sure VW are working on it and they will be eventually, but ring your local service center and they'll talk you through what needs to be done and what timelines we're talking etc.

So I ring my VW service center and a guy comes on saying that they had another cusotmer in a few days ago with a Skoda (containing the same bluetooth unit) and the same issue and apparently theres nothing to be done. His attitude was that VW publish the models of iphone that the bluetooth works with and I've now exceeded that - ie the problem is not with the car, the problem is with my phone. I said that I disagree'd completely, and that its incumbant on VW not to let the technology in their cars become obsolete wtihin less than 2 years. All he could do was tell me to contact VW Ireland again.

I'm now trying to contact the dealership that actually sold me the car (don't live near it anymore) and hopefully they'll be more helpful.

Am I wrong in thinking this is beyond a joke? Do VW seriously expect people to stay on their old phones forever? Whats going to happen when Apple push the iOS 10 upgrade on existing users who haven't updated their phones? They should be making this work.

Thats just their fob you off line. Its working perfectly fine in my car with the iPhone 7 and my car is a 2009. I'm pretty certain a power reset will resolve it. You say you dont have a head unit but you do, its your radio. If it was me I would be pulling the radio out and disconnecting the power and then plugging it back in but I am guessing you would not be comfortable doing that.

Thats just their fob you off line. Its working perfectly fine in my car with the iPhone 7 and my car is a 2009. I'm pretty certain a power reset will resolve it. You say you dont have a head unit but you do, its your radio. If it was me I would be pulling the radio out and disconnecting the power and then plugging it back in but I am guessing you would not be comfortable doing that.

Correct - I do not feel comfortable pulling things out of my dashboard!

Why would the fob me off though? I'm not likely to let this drop, and if they don't help me, you can guarentee I'll tell everyone I know about my expereince. I've also changed my car with them every 3 years (on car 3 now) and they won't be getting my business in future based on this carry on.

If its an easy fix, then I don't see why they won't help me.

Maddie22 wrote: »
    I just got my iPhone 7plus and I love it. It's just so snappy. I bought a glass screen protector from eBay for it but it's a bit narrow for the phone and the edges of the screen protector are more angular which imo would look ridiculous. What do you guys think. Screen protector or not?? Maybe a different one.

No reason not to have one, you should definitely for resale value. You probably got a shi7 one on eBay.

These look decent:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/iPhone-Plus-Screen-Protector-Protective/dp/B01LQKK0Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475674974&sr=8-1&keywords=iphone+7+plus+tempered+glass+orzly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Correct - I do not feel comfortable pulling things out of my dashboard!

Why would the fob me off though? I'm not likely to let this drop, and if they don't help me, you can guarentee I'll tell everyone I know about my expereince. I've also changed my car with them every 3 years (on car 3 now) and they won't be getting my business in future based on this carry on.

If its an easy fix, then I don't see why they won't help me.
    have you rest the bluetooth from the settings yet...

have you rest the bluetooth from the settings yet...

People keep saying this but I've looked at the maual and theres nothing about resetting the bluetooth. I've gone into the settings, unpaired everything and turned the connectivity off and then back on again.

Surely if theres an easy fix, why are VW telling me that its my own fault because iOS 10 isnt supported?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Ordered this case myself:
    https://www.mujjo.com/leather-wallet-case-for-iphone-7-tan

along with a Spigen tempered glass screen protector

Handy to have cards and phone in one imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭shanec1928

its either in one or two place so its either on the touch screen radio or done via the multi function controls for the screen where the speedo is. its a restore to factory what your looking for. ive had no issues pairing my 7+ to a 11 golf

Mr.David wrote: »
    Ordered this case myself:
    https://www.mujjo.com/leather-wallet-case-for-iphone-7-tan

along with a Spigen tempered glass screen protector

Handy to have cards and phone in one imo.

Will you let us know if the Spigen screen protector cracks/chips? I saw a pic in an Amazon review and Im not sure whether to get one or get an Orzly

its either in one or two place so its either on the touch screen radio or done via the multi function controls for the screen where the speedo is. its a restore to factory what your looking for. ive had no issues pairing my 7+ to a 11 golf

Still no response from the dealership...

I'll take some pictures of my dash later and what the screens are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

10.1 public beta 2 is out for those looking to use the portrait mode on their camera

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Still no response from the dealership...

I'll take some pictures of my dash later and what the screens are saying.

Go to a local car audio shop, not the dealer.
    Where are you based?

Go to a local car audio shop, not the dealer.
    Where are you based?

South Dublin - going to call the dealers again today anyhow, not just letting it hang out there. My car is still under warranty so I'd be a bit worried that getting work done elsewhere would jepordise that.

So i managed to find the factory reset button yesterday, and duly pressed it. It wiped everything, ie all my radio stations etc, but didnt fix my problem at all.

Anyway, took a few photos to see if that makes things any clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Have you checked if other devices are picking up your iPhone?

I don't use any other bluetooth devices so I'll have to find something I can check it against.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

I don't use any other bluetooth devices so I'll have to find something I can check it against.

On the iPhone go to settings-general-reset and tap reset network settings. Wifi passwords will be wiped but try again after that and see does the car find it.

So the dealership got back to me. Said that VW nationally have had a few cases so of this so far, but its really only starting to show itself as a problem. They claim that its down to a change in the Apple device specific to the iPhone 7 (as older models using the same iOS 10 arent experiencing the same issue) and theres little they can do about it, that VW may develop a new unit but that would involve exchanging my unit which would no doubt be costly, and they've no timeline for this.

Seriously regretting every getting this stupid phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Masala

So the dealership got back to me. Said that VW nationally have had a few cases so of this so far, but its really only starting to show itself as a problem. They claim that its down to a change in the Apple device specific to the iPhone 7 (as older models using the same iOS 10 arent experiencing the same issue) and theres little they can do about it, that VW may develop a new unit but that would involve exchanging my unit which would no doubt be costly, and they've no timeline for this.

Sure... just get one of these....::

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/mobile-phone-accessories/bluetooth-car-kits/supertooth-buddy-bluetooth-visor-car-kit

As mentioned earlier by another poster, I would visit a local audio expert and get them to remove the head unit and try the reset. I dont believe what VW are telling you, purely because others are having no issues.

• Advertisement

Just because you can't get bluetooth to work in your car?

Just bring the car to a local garage (not a dealership) and tell them you want to reset the bluetooth in your car.

Advertisement