Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT fail on Steering Linkage 43

• 29-09-2016 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

07 Santa Fe failed NCT earlier with steering linkage 43, description is Rack & Pinion and reason is worn nearside and offside. I'm trying to figure out if that means replacing the steering rack, or something less costly? Appreciate any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

almost certainly the tie rods. jack up the car at the front wheel. hold the wheel in the 3 and 9 o clock position and wiggle it. Try to see where the play is. As it could be the inner or outer tie rods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

If it was inner or outer tie rod it'd say tie rod.

Post a screen shot of the fail sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jeremiah Jobling

Stoolbend wrote: »

Hi, can't figure out how to add a screenshot. The sheet doesn't reference tie rods though. Item is steering linkage. Description is Rack & pinion. Reason is worn. The same row is repeated, one is for offside and another for nearside front.

I went back into test centre the next day and was told this item means they can see play but don't know exact cause, and it is up to a mechanic to figure where the problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Stoolbend wrote: »

It doesn't actually. I've had 2 cars recently that i put through the nct, that needed just one or more tie rods.. It always just says rack and pinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

The more commonly used name in Ireland are track rod ends. There are 4 in total, 2 inner which are usually inside the the bellows of the steering rack which rarely fail. You then have a short length of threaded rod with an outer track rod end on it (one for each side) because these live out in the open they are much more likely to have failed. With the car jacked up it will be easy to spot which side is slack/worn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

jca wrote: »
    The more commonly used name in Ireland are track rod ends.

Help me with my Irish translation, I take it nearside refers to drivers side and offside refers to passenger side? If so, from the description it sounds like outer track rods but as others have mentioned you ll need to get the front wheels off the ground and look for the slack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Nearside is nearest to the kerb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

sundodger5 wrote: »
    Nearside is nearest to the kerb

That's correct, but it's stupid jargon that annoys me. Why couldn't they just say left or right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Because left or right is depending on how you are facing.
    Nearside and offside are accepted motoring terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jeremiah Jobling

Thanks to all who replied to this post. Replaced tie rods and track rod ends and it passed the NCT earlier this evening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement