Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartments that are well built /solid

Options
  • 29-09-2016 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Ok this might be a weird question as some people might not have had the lovely experience of hearing your neighbours snore. ;)

At the moment I am watching property to buy. My search is houses only. It will be my first purchase hopefully in the new year. I have been keeping an eye on houses on Daft etc but there's a part of me that thinks I should start looking at apartments around the city centre.

My reason is because I'll be buying on my own so the price. Plus I'm single so I would like to be able to go out with friends and not worry about the distance and taxi home.

Now my big concern is noise. I know all apartments have a certain degree of noise. But I don't want to buy an apartment where I can hear my neighbours talk and I can hear them snore sometimes. These apartments were fired up at the end of the Celtic tiger so no doubt any apartments in the past 10 years or even 15 are probably not as solid as some others. Hopefully not all.

Anyone living in an apartment where you know it's fairly solid in the city centre area would u mind sticking name up ? Please don't put up the ones that aren't as people no doubt have paid huge money for certain areas so I don't want anyone slagging an apartment block.

Thanks a mil :) I think the fear of buying has got to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

Custom Hall apartments in Dublin 1, built in about 1992. The area isn't for everyone but we've been happy here for several years. I've never heard my neighbours snore. I have heard the previous neighbour singing in the shower at times , but he was singing at top of his voice and we both had our windows open.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭EmmaMurray2016

mydarkstar wrote: »
    Custom Hall apartments in Dublin 1, built in about 1992. The area isn't for everyone but we've been happy here for several years. I've never heard my neighbours snore. I have heard the previous neighbour singing in the shower at times , but he was singing at top of his voice and we both had our windows open.

Do you know what I use to go around with a girl who lived there a few years ago. Lovely apartments. Thanks I'll keep eye out on daft for these :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Recent apartment development in Smithfield, reinforced concrete frame. That's what I'd be looking for if looking for an apartment again.

kceire wrote: »
    Recent apartment development in Smithfield, reinforced concrete frame. That's what I'd be looking for if looking for an apartment again.
    Recent ? Brill. Do you have a name? Or are most of them in Smithfiels concrete? I'd love to live around there. These are timber frame where I live I heard ?! Or metal bars holding it up or God knows. Paper mache as someone else said. Just waiting for the wind to blow us down here. lol

Recent ? Brill. Do you have a name? Or are most of them in Smithfiels concrete? I'd love to live around there. These are timber frame where I live I heard ?! Or metal bars holding it up or God knows. Paper mache as someone else said. Just waiting for the wind to blow us down here. lol

Don't know the name sorry.
    Built right along the Kia's line beside the brown bag company cafe.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Don't know the name sorry.
    Built right along the Kia's line beside the brown bag company cafe.

I googled it there. Look fab but all sold.

I googled it there. Look fab but all sold.

Well built too in my opinion. I was on the site periodically throughout their construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

A few years ago I worked over in clonskeagh on the "trimblestown" apartment complex. I have to say that they were built well. Was no panic on the work as long as it was done well. Each apartment was separated with concrete walls. Internal walls were metal stud, insulation and plasterboard along with metal frame suspended ceilings. I was there for a couple of months and the tradesmen were all older men who took their time with everything they did.

mfceiling wrote: »
    A few years ago I worked over in clonskeagh on the "trimblestown" apartment complex. I have to say that they were built well. Was no panic on the work as long as it was done well. Each apartment was separated with concrete walls. Internal walls were metal stud, insulation and plasterboard along with metal frame suspended ceilings. I was there for a couple of months and the tradesmen were all older men who took their time with everything they did.

Ok cool I think I'll make a list of what people say here. Thanks mfceiling. Pitty them same people didn't build them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

I know what the ratings mean but would I be right in saying that anything A,B would be fairly new built ? Because anything I see D,E are old houses. So would that be a good indicator on knowing if solid concrete :/ ?

Are you asking if a higher BER correlates to poorer sound-proofing? I'm curious as to what the relationship between the two is myself. I live in an apartment block that dates back to the 1800s. I'm sure it has a poor BER (expensive to heat due to the preservation of original features) but it's the quietest place I've ever lived in my life. That says a lot considering I grew up on a huge farm in Kildare and now live 20mins away from Stephen's Green. Pm me if you want details.

• Advertisement

I know what the ratings mean but would I be right in saying that anything A,B would be fairly new built ? Because anything I see D,E are old houses. So would that be a good indicator on knowing if solid concrete :/ ?

A3 is the minimum standard and has been since Technical Guidance Document Part L was updated in 2011. So anything B rated would be older than that.

The common areas of apartment buildings do not have to meet the same standard.

New block being built in poppintree currently. Concrete frame, metal studs, insulated as per the above development in clonskeagh. This is really the current standard nowadays on new build apartments.

The Mespil Estate near Leeson Street and the canal are old style and solidly built. Some blocks are better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The Elysian apartments are solid with a premium finish

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Don't touch anything that doesn't have the external walls between your properties and others as concrete. Also other than that road or street noise can be horrific ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Haven't lived in there myself but phoenix park racecourse has a very good reputation for build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dumb Juan

Hi,

Seapark, Mount Prospect Ave, Clontarf... All apartments are mass concrete built in the 1990 no problem with noise.

Brill thanks a million everyone. Loads of places there. You are putting my faith back into them 💕

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Great post Emma, gives people a heads-up before they buy ...... Now we need a thread to give heads up on Apartments that are NOT well built /solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Does boards permit this? I can name and Shame a development in dundrum that made my life hell! a snip currently a 1700-1800 for a 2 bed joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Great post Emma, gives people a heads-up before they buy ...... Now we need a thread to give heads up on Apartments that are NOT well built /solid.

Mod note

Such a thread would be strictly against boards rules as it would leave the site exposed to potential legal action.

• Advertisement
Advertisement