Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just out on maternity leave. Company ceasing

Options
  • 29-09-2016 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi there, I have just started maternity leave and have been advised I am at risk of redundancy. Am I protected until the end of my 26 weeks maternity leave. Ie do they have to wait until the end of the 26 weeks before they formally give me notice? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

You should contact workplacerelations.ie and ask them. They are very helpful.

Places I have worked that had redundancies waited unto mat leave was finished (this was a case where a whole facility closed). I am not sure if that is just good practice, but employers have to be very careful that they are not discriminating.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the company is ceasing up its operation here, or being wound up, then it may not have the luxury of not making you redundant for six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

You are fully protected by law while on maternity leave

This same thing happened to my wife years ago, we hadn't even had the baby and she got a phonecall about the redundancy.

What happened in her case was she had to go back to work for one day to be technically made redundant but she was only there a few minutes and got her letter etc.

Advertisement