Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Electricity Cost?

Options
  • 30-09-2016 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Renting the last 11months, renting a 4 bed house in a residential area. My electricity bill is €165 a month, I never really thought much of it as I lived at the parents until last year and a friend told me recently that Im paying crazy high electricity €165 monthly or €330 every 2months, this is a level pay I have set up.

So here's some background info, I rent a 4 bed house, with my partner and child, we use our dish washer once a day, all shower once a day, dont drink too much tae lol, and m partner uses her hair drier for like 20 mins 2 days a week, no electric heaters or anything that drinks electricity. Emersion is never on to heat water as the heating heats the water for baths.

Thanks in advance, any also if anyone can recommend any low cost Electric providers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Check the settings on your fridge/freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Who is your electricity with - they are notorious for increasing the cost after a while (athough usually after 12 months) so there's a real incentive to change

This is a great site to check costs: http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/

Also, do you submit your meter readings regularly to keep the bill accurate?

Within the house, does it have many spot lights? They can present a sizeable electrical load if left on...and they're the old school halogen/dichroic type

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Renting the last 11months, renting a 4 bed house in a residential area. My electricity bill is €165 a month, I never really thought much of it as I lived at the parents until last year and a friend told me recently that Im paying crazy high electricity €165 monthly or €330 every 2months, this is a level pay I have set up.

"this is the level pay I have set up "
    Is this a direct debit / standing order amount that you have set up? Or are you actually using this amount of electricity?
    If it is an amount that you are paying per month but not using then you'll be refunded the balance
    What is the meter saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    "this is the level pay I have set up "
    Is this a direct debit / standing order amount that you have set up? Or are you actually using this amount of electricity?
    If it is an amount that you are paying per month but not using then you'll be refunded the balance
    What is the meter saying?

I'd rather not ring them in cause it is normal, From this post I'm just trying to suss out if this seems like alot to be pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Read the meter today and again in a weeks time and come back to us.
    Your actual recorded consumption over the period will give a good idea of what your bill should be.
    You'd have to be using 30 units a day or something to have a bill that high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What the light bulbs do you have? Some thing is using way to much electricity , do you constantly hear the pump in the fridge /freezer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

air wrote:
    Read the meter today and again in a weeks time and come back to us. Your actual recorded consumption over the period will give a good idea of what your bill should be. You'd have to be using 30 units a day or something to have a bill that high.

+1 I'd do this first too.

Advertisement