Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemical Miscarriage?

Options
  • 30-09-2016 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I didnt know such a thing existed but myself and my husband had been trying recently and I took a test 6 days early and it was negative. However, my period arrived a day late (which is nothing unusual for me) and I had the worst cramps I've ever had. So bad I was lying on the floor and couldnt get up and could barely talk. It was quite heavy but has disappeared just two days later. I did some googling and was wondering was it perhaps a chemical miscarriage and perhaps I was pregnant if just for a few days? Feel quite odd since, still quite nauseous and not myself. Might be competely overthinking this but the pain was the worst I've ever experienced.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Chemical miscarriage is incorrect terminology. It's called a chemical pregnancy.

A chemical pregnancy is one where you test positive but it's negative a few days later, indicating that while the egg might have initially fertilised, it didn't implant or failed and/or failed to develop past day 3 or 5 blastocyst stage. Since you never tested positive, it's more likely that you simply didn't get pregnant this month.

When you come off hormonal contraception methods, your 'real' period cycle returns, and with it, come the real symptoms that we've forgotten - stronger cramps, clots, flow, physical symptoms all are different on a natural cycle, so if you've come off contraception recently it will feel different. You might find that those vary with each cycle too - every 4th or 5th period for me is somehow one that's heavier, longer, more painful, and I've heard other women report the same. It's possible that this is what happened to you this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

Thanks but never been on birth control as it never agreed with me. I just wondered had I maybe tested too early and got the negative and then the week in between perhaps if I'd tested again it would have been positive. I dunno maybe clutching at straws.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

What test did you use? Did you use first morning urine?

No tested 6 days before with a boots test but it was in the evening.

Ah ok.

Well at this stage you'll never know, unless you are the kind of person who feels pregnant right away, so subsequent pregnancies might give you an indication. I had a very subtle pregnancy 'tell' on all my pregnancies but it took until my 3rd before I recognised it for what it was, it was that subtle. So for my 4th and Chemical I clocked it and kind of knew that I'd test positive those months.

If you like to test early and often then I'd suggest maybe you get the cheaper dip-stick tests on either ebay or I get mine from Access Diagnostics. They cost literally cents each.

• Advertisement

cool thanks. I think maybe I'll wait in any future attempts, peraps best not to be so eager to test early!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

It happened to me in 2012 and it sounds exactly as you describe. I was also very emotional for a few days after it.

I found it very frustrating as I wasn't sure whether or not I had actually been pregnant but there doesn't seem to be any way to diagnose it afterwards.

Tis a horrible experience. Mind yourself.

Thanks, yeah I do feel a bit sad about the whole thing. Funny not knowing.

It's totally understandable to want to test early -we've all done it but it does mess with your head a bit, and you run the risk of TTC getting very stressful and not at all pleasurable if you over think it and then experience the crash of disappointment each cycle for a few months in a row. Especially if you begin to think that this was a chemical, then in your subconscious you start to worry about things like sub-fertility or recurrent miscarriage or whatever and it makes the process more stressful for you than it already is.

Advertisement