Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox 1 v pc upgrage

Options
  • 30-09-2016 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

my pc is just below the minimum specs for BF1, plays BF4 perfectly....but was looking forward to bf1 coming out

the kids are pestering me for the xbox 1.....the 360 is old and has already been repaired once so far, so next time it stops working, its gone.....

which should I upgrade next.....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Personally I'd get a PC. Unless you really like Halo everything on Xbox 1 will be coming to PC. However there's the price concern, a PC will set you back a bit more than a Xbox 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

yes, if it wasn't for the kids id be going pc route......i'll end up doing both just trying to figure out sequencing and whether I'm better waiting for a few months for some price drops on latest graphic card and chips......or will there be something shiny always just around the corner there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

But the 360 WORKS....also it's still a viable console for the next few years. Also if it breaks...you can easily get another one for cheap.
    Think to yourself...what are the KILLER Xbox One Exclusive games that you'd buy....is it worth it ?

A PC will stand to you better, for the whole family, surfing the net, videos, games, editing, photos, etc etc etc

and the pc works perfectly for the everything except BF1.....so its a question of cost of xbox 1 where I can play bf1 or pump another €900 for a graphics card and cpu for the pc.....

I'm going to do both, just considering sequence and timing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

No need to bump €900 surely, it's an i5 and 470 isn't it? That's about €650 for a whole PC built around that.

What's your current spec

• Advertisement

I have an i5 and a gtx 570, when I went to one of those can my rig play it sites, it said I failed on both these......

i was probably exaggerating the €900 but at the same time would get as good as possible (without being stupid) when upgrading.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What i5?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's a good i5 a new GPU will be all you'd need as long as you've a decent power supply.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, a new gfx card should do it, the 9xx series are going cheap cause lots of folk have upgraded to the 10xx series nVidia carsds. I've got an i5 2500 with a GTX 970 and I played the BF1 Demo without any blips or hitches. Trying to play Battlefield with a controller will drive you insane when you're used to playing with with a proper input method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

As for the kids, maybe just give them some new sports gear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

jrby wrote: »
    I have an i5 and a gtx 570, when I went to one of those can my rig play it sites, it said I failed on both these......

That will run the game. Even if it's a 1st gen i5 from the i5-750/760/etc series, it will run OK.

The minimum requirements for BF1 were pulled from a bingo drum at random, they make no sense whatsoever.

If you have a 2nd gen i5 or above, sell the GTX570 for €60-70, buy a GTX470 4GB for €200 and you're all set for 1080p high settings zero problem.

If you have a 1st gen i5, as long as it's a i5-7x0 CPU and not one of the i5-6x0 models, the game will run fine with the GTX570 at middling settings.

And you can think about a system overhaul later.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If it's i5 with 570, then most likely it's 2400 or 2500k, which is more then enough for BF1. I am pretty sure 570 will still be able to pull BF1 at 1080p with few settings lowered. At very worst getting 470, 480 or 1060 will not cost much to bring more life to that machine.

The issue is, how are kids feeling about it? Do they play on pc? Kids are kids and you will still end up sooner or later buying that xbox one for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As a confirmed non-PC gamer, I would have to change the habit of a lifetime and say that upgrading the PC is the way to go.
    The initial cost of the upgrade may be around the price of a new XB1 or a little more, but the savings over the lifetime of the typical console will more than make up for it.
    On release PC games are cheaper, wait a little while and they are cheaper still, plus there's the constant Steam sales that put the likes of XBL Gold and PS+ to shame, and a much broader array of games to play, and games that typically get better.
    Buy Dark Souls 2 on your PC a couple of years ago and wish it had better visuals on your new machine? Just download the patch, while a console owner has to buy a whole new edition of the game.
    Plus, there's the legacy of 25 years of gaming available, fancy some Tie Fighter, or a spot of Quake, a few Euro later and you're playing them.
    Honestly, I have an XB1 but, if I could turn that clock back I wouldn't have bothered, there's nothing bar Halo 5 on that for me, and that was a brief week of single player campaigning before I never played it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Buy yourself a nice graphics card, give the kids a stick and a ball. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Im pissed at myself for upgrading to PS4. I should of gone PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Why would you want to play an FPS on a controller is all I have to add....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Why would you want to play an FPS on a controller is all I have to add....

ALWAYS this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Shiminay wrote: »
    ALWAYS this! :D

I'd a mate who had both console and pc and did a bit of gaming on both BUT used a controller for everything. During The Division we finally got him to use a K+M and in the darkzone with open mics he was running in circles like a child shouting about how he couldn't believe the difference. It was like watching a dog jumping into a ball pit.... I was like. Dude.... you're embarrassing me.... :P

Anyway, he's never looked back since.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Personally I'd get a PC. Unless you really like Halo everything on Xbox 1 will be coming to PC. However there's the price concern, a PC will set you back a bit more than a Xbox 1.

or destiny....

pc does bridge the gap between ps and xbox though, what PS exclusives often on pc, same for xbox, won't be on ps but will be on PC (forza horizon 3 for an example)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

mossym wrote: »
    or destiny....

pc does bridge the gap between ps and xbox though, what PS exclusives often on pc, same for xbox, won't be on ps but will be on PC (forza horizon 3 for an example)

Destiny 2 is coming to the PC.

OP why not pick up a PS4? You say you will be upgrading your PC anyways so that covers you for 99% of Xbox exclusives (which will play a hell of a lot better on PC) and you then get to access all the PS4 only games as well.

My advice is don't play Destiny :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Venom wrote: »
    Destiny 2 is coming to the PC.

OP why not pick up a PS4? You say you will be upgrading your PC anyways so that covers you for 99% of Xbox exclusives (which will play a hell of a lot better on PC) and you then get to access all the PS4 only games as well.

yeah, but destiny 2 is a year away, and presumably the op is looking at now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My advice is don't play Destiny :P

as a person who bought destiny on day 1 i fully agree :D:D:D

Advertisement