Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brakes failure in Leaf

• 30-09-2016 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

HI,

Just want to share what happened this morning.

Looks like brakes failed on my Nissan leaf 142.

Was driving through estate and trying to brake on a turn but pedal was stiff and not working, like stuck. Feel like smthing was under the pedal not allowing it to work.

Somehow manage to brake with handbrake and get into the turn with back of the car slid over the corner and eventually stopping it with the same handbrake.

Eventually stop it with hand brake and P "Parking mode". Try to get into D mode without luck, while pressing brake pedal it was falling to the end with knocking sound at front of the car, like hydraulic failing.

GOt number from Nissan website for recovery but it was wrong for the leaf, received instead 1800 30 34 27.

Called to nearest Nissan dealer which was Hutton and Meade in Dublin 15, they refuse to take car saying that they are too busy and nearest appointment is for 25th of October.
    Called to Nissan Liffey Walley and they accept to take it in.

Car now with Nissan Liffey Valley awaiting diagnostic. They were not able to give a replacement until diagnostic will find the fault. One of the guys at the reception ask where i bought the car and after telling it was Import they said no car replacement for cars not bought in Ireland.

Thats all, will update as soon as have some news.

Very good that it was only me in the car and it finished without crash. But still shaking :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Brakes also failed on a friend's Leaf. Turns out it needed a new 12v battery, so was a very cheap fix. But not a great way to find out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

A guy in the UK had the same issue today after it had also occurred and was fixed a few months ago.... his warranty repair the first time cost £1300!!!

https://speakev.com/threads/leaf-brake-failure.16132/page-2#post-294882

Some others report similar issues:
    https://speakev.com/threads/brakes-stopped-working-almost-crashed.5389/

They also had an issue if very cold weather(which is hardly your root cause)...
    insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-brake-issue/

So you are not the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pavelpro

KCross thanx for links, looks very similar to my issue.

Here is the video of noises from Brakes/Servo etc.

https://youtu.be/7yG5HP_PdIM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

pavelpro wrote: »
    no car replacement for cars not bought in Ireland.

Very good that it was only me in the car and it finished without crash. But still shaking :(

You should query that with Nissan. You could have been killed or killed someone.
    If it's a known fault as Kcross suggests they should be thanking their lucky stars(and you).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

One of the guys at the reception ask where i bought the car and after telling it was Import they said no car replacement for cars not bought in Ireland.
    That doesn't sound right to me - sounds like sour grapes. I wouldn't accept that. You have a warranty. Chase up with Nissan UK and Nissan IRL. Your warranty stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

That doesn't sound right to me - sounds like sour grapes. I wouldn't accept that. You have a warranty. Chase up with Nissan UK and Nissan IRL. Your warranty stands.

Car replacement is a function of the dealer not Nissan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Seems common when you google it .. How do they get away without a recall, brakes are important .

Seems there was a recall.
    Seems you have same problem, getting cold now and boom your brakes fail.

I would think you would still have brakes, you just need to force them very hard,

Seems common when you google it .. How do they get away without a recall, brakes are important .

Because we don't live in the U.S where they don't get away with these things.....

Can't say I've heard of this issue and I've not read it on Mynissan leaf ?

• Advertisement

Seems there was a recall.
    Seems you have same problem, getting cold now and boom your brakes fail.

The issue you mentioned I beleive was around very low temperatures, which do not occur here in general

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pavelpro

Got call from Nissan Liffey Valley: The issue still investigated, so far they have no idea what went wrong. Replacement car refused by Nissan Ireland and Dealer cant supply as this is not bough in Ireland. At least secretary voice few phrases like "safety issue" etc.
    But all doesnt help me much :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Got call from Nissan Liffey Valley: The issue still investigated, so far they have no idea what went wrong. Replacement car refused by Nissan Ireland and Dealer cant supply as this is not bough in Ireland. At least secretary voice few phrases like "safety issue" etc.
    But all doesnt help me much :(

Call Nissan UK and get them to secure a replacement car. They should organise one , what would happen a tourist from the UK travelling here on holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

ted1 wrote: »
    Call Nissan UK and get them to secure a replacement car. They should organise one , what would happen a tourist from the UK travelling here on holidays
    Its no harm to do this just to see what their natural reaction would be.

Its no harm to do this just to see what their natural reaction would be.

knowing Nissan ( Im on my fourth nissan car ) howls of laughter I suspect

Advertisement