Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery problems

Options
  • 30-09-2016 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭

My partner is at home with babies while I'm v busy farming. Anyway night line And DPD keep dropping parcels to a shop 6 miles away, we pay for the products and delivery is included. Delivery guys are trying every trick in the book, and don't even talk to my partner anymore. Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Is the delivery address your house? Who's signing for the delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Contact the delivery company (or local depot) as there should be a complaints procedure (or supervisor or franchise owner) who can deal with the issue.
    I'm guessing the shop is the easy delivery option and the driver cant be bother driving the 6 miles off the main road, completely unacceptable and just pure laziness. If the driver thinks he/she is not being paid enough to go those 6 miles, then that's their problem, not yours.

Collect parcel from the shop, who I presumed signed for it. Go home, call DPD or whoever and tell them the package didn't arrive. When they present a signature as proof inform them it's not your signature and request compensation for the 'lost' item.
    They should get their act together quick enough after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Collect parcel from the shop, who I presumed signed for it. Go home, call DPD or whoever and tell them the package didn't arrive. When they present a signature as proof inform them it's not your signature and request compensation for the 'lost' item.
    They should get their act together quick enough after that.

So that would be fraud then?

Couriers unfamiliar with an area and everyone in it can find it difficult to locate rural addresses, that was supposed to be the benefit of post codes, they were to aid GPS location, did you give your post code?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tell the shop to stop signing for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,990 ✭✭✭✭GBX

davo10 wrote: »
    Couriers unfamiliar with an area and everyone in it can find it difficult to locate rural addresses, that was supposed to be the benefit of post codes, they were to aid GPS location, did you give your post code?

Surely if the shop is kind enough to let the courier drop the items off there - the driver can ask the question as to where the OP actually lives and drive there. As kevthegaff has paid for the service, the courier should stop being lazy and find out how to get to the address and deliver as per the terms of service.

Well if we're getting into the technicalities of it, the fraud occurred when the shop signed for something that wasn't addressed to them.
    The driver is delivering to the wrong address & the shop is signing for items that are not theirs.
    I despise people like the driver on this story. No pride in their job or their ability to complete a task properly. Either way a good rollicking from his boss is in order. Report the items as missing and it will be sorted sharpish.

Well if we're getting into the technicalities of it, the fraud occurred when the shop signed for something that wasn't addressed to them.
    The driver is delivering to the wrong address & the shop is signing for items that are not theirs.
    I despise people like the driver on this story. No pride in their job or their ability to complete a task properly. Either way a good rollicking from his boss is in order. Report the items as missing and it will be sorted sharpish.

Making a frudulent claim is not a "technicality", it's fraud.

The signatory is not fraudulently signing for it, they are not claiming to be the owner, they are just accepting delivary on behalf of the owner. Big difference.

Many people despise people who steal and make fraudulent claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MENSA members dont become delivery drivers. If you observe how they park you learn all you need to know about them.

The fact is for the company delivering to somebody out in the sticks is probably a loss. There's no USO for couriers so I wouldnt be surprised if eircodes become used as a way to reject orders for remote addresses in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Is the delivery address your house? Who's signing for the delivery?

Yes, someone I don't even know!

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Yes, someone I don't even know!

Did you put your post code on the order?

Guy from nightline came yesterday, girlfriend got ten boxes. She opened door and said hello but he ignored her and left the ten boxes outside the door, she continued to talk and he ignored her. While my nightline delivery is still waiting in the shop.. I know their stressed but we're paying for delivery and shouldn't be discriminated due to our address

ED E wrote: »
    The fact is for the company delivering to somebody out in the sticks is probably a loss. There's no USO for couriers so I wouldnt be surprised if eircodes become used as a way to reject orders for remote addresses in the future.
    Or just charge more, like how many couriers will charge more to send from mainland UK to NI, while royal mail charge the same. Parcel motel made a business on the back of royal mails subsidised service. Might be easier to just say no though, would be handy if DHL did it as it could be a way to possibly get yourself blacklisted.

davo10 wrote:
    The signatory is not fraudulently signing for it, they are not claiming to be the owner, they are just accepting delivary on behalf of the owner. Big difference.

They are. The item is not addressed to them.

I see DPD have a pickup service from shops now, wonder if the OPs shop is registered with them, and so making it even handier for them to offload it.

http://dpd.newsweaver.ie/flyer/1ndnywa2tkp?a=6&p=50864095&t=28631340
    obriens.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They are. The item is not addressed to them.

The items are also not post. DPDs terms apply to them which presumably allow them to leave it with a suitable "neighbour".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Senna wrote: »
    Contact the delivery company (or local depot) as there should be a complaints procedure (or supervisor or franchise owner) who can deal with the issue.
    I'm guessing the shop is the easy delivery option and the driver cant be bother driving the 6 miles off the main road, completely unacceptable and just pure laziness. If the driver thinks he/she is not being paid enough to go those 6 miles, then that's their problem, not yours.

The delivery company has no contract with the OP. If you want to complain it's the sender that you need to contact.

Thing is that the owner and manager knows that they aren't paying their drivers enough, they may be getting €2 or €3 for the drop, to make it viable to deliver to rural locations so will tell you want you want to hear if you complain and then do nothing.

If Eircode ever gets taken up properly then the price of deliveries to rural locations will rise hugely,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

rubadub wrote: »
    Tell the shop to stop signing for them.
    The driver is most likely telling the shop that the OP asked them to drop the parcels in there.
    ED E wrote: »
    MENSA members dont become delivery drivers. If you observe how they park you learn all you need to know about them.

I might agree with the remote address if we were talking about the Outer Hebrides or even Inis Oírr where the driver has to take ferries or use air transport but for country lanes up the side of a hill then they should deliver to the address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The driver is most likely telling the shop that the OP asked them to drop the parcels in there.

I might agree with the remote address if we were talking about the Outer Hebrides or even Inis Oírr where the driver has to take ferries or use air transport but for country lanes up the side of a hill then they should deliver to the address.

You tell the shop and they will clearly know that you don't want the parcels left there. I know shops who are sick of this practice but think they will offend customers by refusing. So telling the shop sorts it for both parties.

The driver can say anything he likes if the shop knows otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

We've an illiterate or dyslexic postman and regularly get post for other people or large bundles of our post after a week of nothing. I feel for you.

Delivery address might help if you amend it to something akin to
    Kevthegaff
    13 Up Theboreen, Sticksville
    **deliver to house only**
    **do not leave elsewhere**
    Co Culchie
    X## X###

And drop a laminated postcard into the shop "Kevthegaff has instructed us not to sign for his items" as well as a few A6 (¼ of A4) maps to show where you live. Then there's no excuse.

• Advertisement

Had the exact same issue with FedEx about 10 years ago in Kerry. They refused to deliver to the home address and instead delivered the parcel to the local Vodafone store. I'd say it happens all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Dubl07 wrote: »
    We've an illiterate or dyslexic postman and regularly get post for other people or large bundles of our post after a week of nothing. I feel for you.

Delivery address might help if you amend it to something akin to
    Kevthegaff
    13 Up Theboreen, Sticksville
    **deliver to house only**
    **do not leave elsewhere**
    Co Culchie
    X## X###

And drop a laminated postcard into the shop "Kevthegaff has instructed us not to sign for his items" as well as a few A6 (¼ of A4) maps to show where you live. Then there's no excuse.
    Or just email the delivery company's head office and make a complaint about their service. I had ongoing problems with Fastway before and the local office were not really bothered, so I got onto the head office and it was sorted out later the same day.

Thanks everyone, wasn't sure of my rights. But by god their trying every trick in the book. Had a missed call from a private number yesterday morning, so couldn't ring back. Didn't receive parcel, same crack, different method. We buy alot online as have baby twins, so it's eating at my time contacting them too, dpd drivers are sound but nightline have taken over boots delivery :-( , fast way are even worse!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Use parcel motel instead ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Skatedude wrote: »
    Use parcel motel instead ?

This seems to be the stock answer. It's no use to rural customers miles from a parcel motel depot and who paid for home delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

This seems to be the stock answer. It's no use to rural customers miles from a parcel motel depot and who paid for home delivery.

Boots charge €5 for delivery and free if over €50, at that rate the driver is barely getting €1 for the delivery for that they have to pay for the van, commercial insurance, diesel and motor tax before they make a wage. Why do you think that they don't go driving into rural locations?

To make it worthwhile for a driver to do rural deliveries they'd need to be charging €20 or more then at least the driver might get close to minimum wage, before paying for the items listed earlier, after everyone else has taken their cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Terrible job, drivers always put under pressure with a work load which cant be done in a day but expected to do so, i know not ops problem but corners will always be cut to try to clear the load.

Del2005 wrote:
    If Eircode ever gets taken up properly then the price of deliveries to rural locations will rise hugely,

Eircode seems to work on Google maps now.

Advertisement