Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Samsung TV went bang

• 30-09-2016 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭

Last night I went to bed and turned on my 32 inch Samsung TV, it was fine for about minute, then it sounded like an explosion inside the TV, and it went dead.
    So I googled the problem as you, seems Samsungs have a history of dodgy power units, and it was probably the capacitors that exploded.

So then I look and I see I had the TV for 2 years and 7 months and is out of warranty.
    It was a nice TV, very good picture but after this I don't think I will ever buy Samsung again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Any item sold in Ireland is required by law to continue to work fault-free for a reasonable amount of time. For a TV, that period would be five, if not ten years.

http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/buying-goods-and-services/

The retailer is beholden onto you for up to six years to remedy the issue. In the case of an older TV, a repair is appropriate, or a refund which takes into account the age of the device and current value of an equivalent model.

Go back to the retailer you bought it from. They are obliged to deal with the issue. Any retailer with half a brain would offer you a significant discount on a new TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Hi All. Reviving this thread because the same thing happened to my TV last night, albeit a Philips model. I think the warranty is about 2 years and the TV is about 3/4 years old so I don't think I'll have much luck going down the route of chasing up seller or manufacturer on it, but there are some messages online about how it can be fixed. Is it worth trying or should I not bother wasting my time and get a new one? Not an ideal time of year for this to happen :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Hi All. Reviving this thread because the same thing happened to my TV last night, albeit a Philips model. I think the warranty is about 2 years and the TV is about 3/4 years old so I don't think I'll have much luck going down the route of chasing up seller or manufacturer on it, but there are some messages online about how it can be fixed. Is it worth trying or should I not bother wasting my time and get a new one? Not an ideal time of year for this to happen :mad:
    Swapping power board is simple enough in most cases, however:
    Even if power is turned OFF, high voltage capacitors might still retain charge and can cause harm/lethal. Such repair should be carried only by trained technician.
    Not recommend if you don't have at least basic understanding.
    By doing this you put your own and others health/life at risk.
    Evaluate if DIY repair worth risk vs workshop vs new TV

Take all precautions once willing to open up TV case
    Research, read/view step-by-step instructions (preferably for exact model) how to dismantle box and replace part necessary. Hidden screw/clip here or there and you might damage other components in repair attempt process. Take pictures before dismantle process to have reference how to assemble TV after
    Ensure you are getting compatible replacement part

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Swapping power board is simple enough in most cases, however:
    Even if power is turned OFF, high voltage capacitors might still retain charge and can cause harm/lethal. Such repair should be carried only by trained technician.
    Not recommend if you don't have at least basic understanding.
    By doing this you put your own and others health/life at risk.
    Evaluate if DIY repair worth risk vs workshop vs new TV

Take all precautions once willing to open up TV case
    Research, read/view step-by-step instructions (preferably for exact model) how to dismantle box and replace part necessary. Hidden screw/clip here or there and you might damage other components in repair attempt process. Take pictures before dismantle process to have reference how to assemble TV after
    Ensure you are getting compatible replacement part

Thanks for the above, luckily someone in the house has an idea what they're doing (hint: it's not me :D). We've removed the back and had a look, specifically at the capacitators because that was coming up on tinterweb as a possible issue. They look perfectly healthy so we reckon it could be a fuse- I have it on good authority that they no longer show signs of having blown even when they have, how convenient! I'll report back when we've replaced them to let you know if it's functioning. Otherwise, it'll be an unaccounted for early Christmas present for our house :/.

Advertisement