Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOD on Windows 10, 6 times in 10 minutes!

Options
  • 30-09-2016 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I might have to be quick to write this, but I've had BSOD about 6 times in ten minutes, mixing between stop codes of:

KMODE Exception not handled
    and
    Attemped switch from DPC

It's happened before too, but never so frequently, it's a new enough install on the laptop. I was having BSOD issues before which was diagnosed to be due to a problem with my hard drive, so replaced HDD with SSD and upgraded from W7 to W10 when installing new SSD and now I'm having problems again ;(

Is there any quick and easy way to diagnose what it might be on W10?

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

cormie wrote: »
    I might have to be quick to write this, but I've had BSOD about 6 times in ten minutes, mixing between stop codes of:

KMODE Exception not handled
    and
    Attemped switch from DPC

It's happened before too, but never so frequently, it's a new enough install on the laptop. I was having BSOD issues before which was diagnosed to be due to a problem with my hard drive, so replaced HDD with SSD and upgraded from W7 to W10 when installing new SSD and now I'm having problems again ;(

Is there any quick and easy way to diagnose what it might be on W10?

Any help would be appreciated!
    This is often caused by device drivers, particularly if you've just installed new hardware or upgraded Windows.

The usual fix for new hardware is to boot into Windows Safe Mode and then upgrade drivers for the problematic hardware - but you need to know what it is. Does the BSOD message give any clues? Take a photo of it and post it here.

The other option is go back to Windows 8 - which is what I'd do if there was no new hardware added, just the Windows 10 upgrade. In fact, that's exactly what I did a few months back when I had BSODs after going to Windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot :)

I'm pretty sure this started happening after a w10 upgrade, I can't be sure though, but I don't think I installed any new hardware anyway. It seemed to be working fine since I installed W10 and then just started happening all of a sudden (maybe after an update?).

I never had w8 installed, just w7 and when I have used w8, I didn't like it at all. W10 seems a lot more like w7 than w8 did when I used it briefly. WXP is probably still my favourite for its simplicity and just doing what you need without all the fancy stuff, with the windows classic theme even :)

I'd like to stick to 10 if possible so if it's just a case of weeding out something that might need driver updates that would be great.

From getting the BSOD and not restoring a FF session, it seems to have cleared all my login cookies too.

I've attached photos I took, this screen only lasted a few seconds each time but it doesn't give much info.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

F*******ck sake, it seems to have reset my Thunderbird layout and customisation too. I don't know what else it's probably reset, but I think this happened last time too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hmm, ok well if you don't want to rollback the OS it gets more tricky. You need to figure out which hardware it is that's causing the trouble, and that'll be some research and detective work on your PC and online. Start by looking at Event Viewer. There's some info on that and next steps here: http://www.howtogeek.com/222730/how-to-find-out-why-your-windows-pc-crashed-or-froze/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

if want to go rabbit down the hole route go to windows/minidump download BlueScreenView and open minidump files it will give somewhat view of which drivers cause kernel to panic,but to be fair your likely do get 10+ drivers without highlighted ones alone that will point in many directions.

ones to note any antivirus software clashing with windows 10,thus win defender,even stuff like malware bytes and some antivirus can cause BSOD's which learned recently myself.

Since its fresh install get hold of spare drive and backup your stuff and do clean installation,better get sorted in few hours then trying to study dump files.

since there are forums where you can post dumps and people will tell you which drivers cause issue.If wanting to do yourself you need to either disable all drivers and start from turning each individually,which is a whole lot more times then it would take to get fresh install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

windows had a large update recently
    this might have caused the problem,
    The latest update caused alot of webcams to stop working .http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/706280/windows-10-anniversary-update-microsoft-fixes-freezing-bug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Windows is not perfect. However, it's not - as you describe it - crap. And you're most definitely not stuck with it. You do have a choice. Exercise it!
    windows is crap, but untill people see sense, we're stuck with it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod note: Helpful responses only please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

liamo wrote: »
    Windows is not perfect. However, it's not - as you describe it - crap. And you're most definitely not stuck with it. You do have a choice. Exercise it!

Windows always has been full of bugs and problems with endless regular large patches and updates. The sooner people start acknowledging reality, the sooner things might improve. As it's the dominant OS in for businesses and offices, then yes people are stuck with it, until most people see sense.

• Advertisement

Windows always has been full of bugs and problems with endless regular large patches and updates. The sooner people start acknowledging reality, the sooner things might improve. As it's the dominant OS in for businesses and offices, then yes people are stuck with it, until most people see sense.

I use all platforms. I've had *nix updates fail on me, I've seen OSX/iOS updates that have failed. And don't get me started on Android updates (I have Android phone + tablet). Apple have also released updates recently which soft bricked their hardware, same goes for other companies. It happens..
    At the end of the day you posted an unhelpful response which is of no use to OP.
    I am happy for debate where it is warranted, and I am no fan of Microsofts new "auto update" feature that can't be disabled. Outright calling something 'crap' is not a proper response at any time,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

windows 10 are good actually on par with 7 few quirks aside.But that said never seen windows upgrade go well and believe me done loads of them,since you have old system files

-registry,drivers.And when doing upgrade like win 10 when install being done system picks up your hardware say video drivers,audio,controllers etc.And at this stage its basically programmed to install upgraded drivers,so you might be running nvidia gpu drivers but on side windows will install their own for your chip generic drivers for each device it finds <and this in return causes kernel errors,in many cases you might google them and think your ram,hdd is at fault when reality is you got two drivers or more doing same task,and if one writes into memory,and another sees its activity you get BSOD.

Thus never seen successful upgrade that wouldn't cause bsods overtime to one of the above issues.

Not sure why your stuck on not doing rollback or clean install,but rather attach your hdd to working pc and as i mentioned transfering old files.Since dont imagine theres a lot of stuff youd need to reinstall software/driver related on laptop-rather then trying to fix issues,while also having old OS which does affect performance compared to clean install.

yoyo wrote: »
    I use all platforms. I've had *nix updates fail on me, I've seen OSX/iOS updates that have failed. And don't get me started on Android updates (I have Android phone + tablet). Apple have also released updates recently which soft bricked their hardware, same goes for other companies. It happens..
    At the end of the day you posted an unhelpful response which is of no use to OP.
    I am happy for debate where it is warranted, and I am no fan of Microsofts new "auto update" feature that can't be disabled. Outright calling something 'crap' is not a proper response at any time,

Nick

after years of problems, endless development, and billions paid for it in licence fees, for what it is, windows is still crap though

after years of problems, endless development, and billions paid for it in licence fees, for what it is, windows is still crap though

You are entitled to your opinion, please don't post in this thread again.

Looks like I'm not I entitled my opinion then. Can we have a list of what opinions are permitted in this forum ?

Looks like I'm not I entitled my opinion then. Can we have a list of what opinions are permitted in this forum ?

I already asked you not to refer to Windows (or any OS/product) as 'crap', as this is a lazy uninformed answer. You may refer to the forums charter to see what is and what isn't acceptable, e.g: "Not answering the question asked". Even after my initial warning you decided to do so again.
    You are entitled to your own opinions, but keep them to yourself, or for another forum. Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You can have your opinion, but this is trying to solve a Pc issue. Not a place for you to bash windows when I assume you're an iOS clown.

Nothing worse than driver issues. Into safe mode and update one by one until you find the issue, or post your bsod file here for us to deceiver.

If i ever reached the point where safe mode does not load i,d assume i have a virus or theres a driver conflict ,
    The mbr windows boot files may be damaged ,hence safe mode does not load .
    if safe mode does not work i would back up my data to a usb drive.
    And do a system restore to an earlier date or do a full reinstall .
    theres a windows live cd here .
    It allows you to boot up a pc using a live cd cdr disk. http://ntfs.com/
    its free
    http://ntfs.com/active-livecd.htm
    this allows you to acess files on the pc,my documents ,music ,etc
    The bootup files can be fixed see the following link ,.if its the windows 10
    mbr boot files .http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows
    try fixing the mbr boot files first ,it takes about 5 minutes .
    Turn on pc, press f8 to see the recovery menu .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I might be wrong here, but since Windows 8, does the F8 at startup only work with computers that are using MBR?

Something in my mind about it not working with GPT on newer systems or where the controller is set to AHCI.

Think this is mostly the case with SSD drives, but I have an "el cheapo" Acer laptop that I picked up in a bargain alert on boards last spring, and it has a regular hard drive that seems to be set this way.

Anyway my point is that it makes it much more awkward to get into safe mode than it used to be, especially if you can't get the PC to boot as far as Windows login.

IF mbr does not work, you can still use a live cd to backup your data to a usb drive
    And reinstall windows 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Did you even read the thread? You seem to have solved an issue the op wasn't having.

He can boot into windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Google for interpreting windows crash dump files

I've had to do this on Server2012 and Window7 on a few occasions and found it very useful in identifying the application/driver that caused the BSOD. I assume that Windows 10 will also generate Crash Dump files.

If your PC is crashing so frequently, it's unlikely that you're going to be able to install the utilities for reading the crash dump files but you can install the utils on another PC and read the crash dump file there.

Advertisement