Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a house

Options
  • 30-09-2016 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

My family are selling the family home. There seems to be a big difference in the charges from different estate agents. What percentage should we be paying? Are there major differences between the different estate agents and what they offer?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Safehands wrote: »
    My family are selling the family home. There seems to be a big difference in the charges from different estate agents. What percentage should we be paying? Are there major differences between the different estate agents and what they offer?

There is no set rate.
    Go with who you want to and feel provides the best value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

kceire wrote: »
    There is no set rate.
    Go with who you want to and feel provides the best value for money.

How do I know that before we go ahead? They all promise the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ask them what their commission is, where they advertise and who pays, how do they operate when it comes to viewing etc, do they have a no sale/no fee setup etc.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ask them what their commission is, where they advertise and who pays, how do they operate when it comes to viewing etc, do they have a no sale/no fee setup etc.

I have been told that they all advertise on the same sites essentially. The fees differ. One crowd say 1.5% others say 1%. One crowd say they will get a better price, hence the higher fee. How do I know? Any markers to look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Go with someone you like, has a good reputation and visibility in the area.
    If they sell a lot in the area they will probably have a list of buyers in mind already.

The bigger brands will charge more as they will be able to offer more but at the end of the day I think go with someone you like and feel will do a good job of keeping you in the loop and will negotiate well!

• Advertisement

Go with someone you like, has a good reputation and visibility in the area.
    If they sell a lot in the area they will probably have a list of buyers in mind already.

The bigger brands will charge more as they will be able to offer more but at the end of the day I htink you nee to go with someone you like and feel with do a good job of keeping you in the loop and will negotiate well!

How do I find out who is good and who is not?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

I have been told that they all advertise on the same sites essentially. The fees differ. One crowd say 1.5% others say 1%. One crowd say they will get a better price, hence the higher fee. How do I know? Any markers to look out for?

You could ask them to provide you with a list of properties they have sold this year, the asking price and the sale price achieved. You could probably piece all this information together yourself from their website and the property price register. Also if you know anybody who has bought recently in the area, ask them about their experience with the local estate agents who showed them properties. I know from being shown properties there are a couple of estate agents who I would never engage to sell on my behalf!!

HelgaWard wrote: »
    You could ask them to provide you with a list of properties they have sold this year, the asking price and the sale price achieved. You could probably piece all this information together yourself from their website and the property price register. Also if you know anybody who has bought recently in the area, ask them about their experience with the local estate agents who showed them properties. I know from being shown properties there are a couple of estate agents who I would never engage to sell on my behalf!!

Yes, I suppose the only way to really find out is to ask the people who have boards up, what they think of the estate agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Look on daft.ie , my home ie,
    what agents are people using,In your area . i,d go with an agent who knows the area well.maybe one of the larger companys ,They all charge 1-1.5 per cent.
    eg If i was selling in dn 15 i would not get an agent from dublin 2.The agent has to arrange all the viewings , show the house ,maybe to 1 or 2 person at a time.
    0.5 per cent is only 500 euro from a 100k house price.
    say house is sold you pay 1500 plus vat for a 100k sale price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How do I find out who is good and who is not?

Check who has sold recently in your area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

We checked out who was selling in the area, and then I organised for 3 different agents to do a free valuation and gauged it from there.
    You'll get a good idea on meeting the different agents whether you want them selling your house or not.

Ours is charging 1.25% plus VAT at 23% i think, but anything from 1-1.5% seems to be standard.

Advertisement