Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear trailing arm bushing replacement 06 Ford Focus 1.4

• 30-09-2016 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi,

Need to change the Rear trailing arm bushings on my Ford Focus 1.4 2006.

Are the Rear trailing arm the same as the wishbone? I want to buy parts and all I can see are wishbone bushings..

Also, is there anywhere that would rent a bushing puller tool or even buy one handy enough? I would rather rent one as I prop won't use it again..

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Nothing to do with wishbones. The rear trailing arm bush is where the rear hub assy is attached to the chassis. A specific tool is required for this job, not cheap either. To be honest unless you have access to a ramp & correct tools I'd leave that one to a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SapHead

Ah, OK. I was wondering why Ford where charging €450 to replace these and the wishbone bush replacement looks pretty simple.

Cheers. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

€450 is crazy for this job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Get a quote from an independent garage. You might make a reasonable saving compared to main dealer prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Ford for the parts I had to do the rear springs of an 04 Focus and the only way to do it is to cut out the bushing with an angle grinder, the bushings are built into the tailing arm so you have to replace the tailing arm.

If you read the Hanyes manual its an easy job and you can tap out the bolts but they are a good tight fit unprotected from the elements and rust solidly into the bushings. Plenty of info on line saying they have to be cut out.

Again from memory you need to get nuts, bolts and washers (there's a funny adjustable one) and tailing arm from Ford springs I used came from Micks Garage. You can find whole kits on eBay.

A sod of a job if you are doing it on the floor, but not too bad once you have the old arms cut out. A few other things to disconnect while you are at it and the rubbers on the ends of the stabiliser bar may also want replacing (its a kit of parts).

Parts iirc came to something over €200 for springs tailing arms with bushes and the bolts (both sides).

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote:
    ... the bushings are built into the tailing arm so you have to replace the tailing arm.

Nope. And it's a trailing arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My bad I was talking about the lower suspension arm but didn't know any of the bushes were replaceable as a single unit apart from the ones on the roll bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

my3cents wrote: »
    My bad I was talking about the lower suspension arm but didn't know any of the bushes were replaceable as a single unit apart from the ones on the roll bar.

They are and you don't need a special tool either, although it might make things a bit easier.

JohnBoy26 wrote:
    They are and you don't need a special tool either, although it might make things a bit easier.

ALOT easier😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just take care removing the bushes as you can easily bend the trailing arm with a little force.

• Advertisement
Advertisement