Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldplay Tour 2017 - Croke Park - **NO TICKET SALES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I can't get my head around this. Why are Coldplay so popular all of a sudden?? My friend queued all night outside ticketmaster in Galway, she doesn't even like Coldplay. Last time they played here they barely sold out Marley Park and they've only gotten worse since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

MadYaker wrote: »
    I can't get my head around this. Why are Coldplay so popular all of a sudden?? My friend queued all night outside ticketmaster in Galway, she doesn't even like Coldplay. Last time they played here they barely sold out Marley Park and they've only gotten worse since.

Mad ain't it?!

Makes zero sense to me

It's the U2 syndrome. Same idiots who say "I hate U2" and "Bono is a prick" are the same morons who whinge that it's a disgrace they didn't get a ticket for their gig in Croke Park or somewhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Well I guess its down to a number of factors .
    Firstly they are supposed to be taking a break after this tour ,however I think Chris Martin has backtracked on this.

Secondly their shows are an excellent spectacle , lots of laser lights and pyrotechnics, 2 b stages ,etc.

Word of mouth has spread of the tours good reviews.
    The tour grossed $137.2 million in the first half of 2016 from 29 shows. ( The Dublin gig should gross ~10m dollars ,by far the highest on the tour )

Thirdly the gig is on a Saturday night .

Fourthly ,the band wagoners and Croke Park event junkies .

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Just had a look on booking.com for those dates and some hotels have been booked over 200 times today :eek:.
    Weakness of Sterling would add to the number of overseas people going to it.

Had a look at hotels in Swansea aswell,their 1/3 of of the price as Cardiff.Might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

How many companies can facilitate 70,000 ticket sales? Coldplay are not in the business of managing ticket sales.

Ticket limits of less than 8 people will affect genuine groups that want to stay together.

I do think pressure should be put on ticketmaster not to facilitate touting, but it would take more than just coldplay to force this, if they even know about it.

I've only noticed it this time around, is it common?

Yes but it also facilitates bulk buying and possible touting.

At the very least standing tickets should be limited to 4 per transaction in the first few hours of a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 coldplayer90

I managed to get early entry pitch 3 ticket. Never been to Croke before, if it says ''row G4 seat xxx'' do I have to go to assigned row or can I just stand at the best available spot? ;D
    Thks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

I managed to get early entry pitch 3 ticket. Never been to Croke before, if it says ''row G4 seat xxx'' do I have to go to assigned row or can I just stand at the best available spot? ;D
    Thks :)

Best spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 coldplayer90

Thanks!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Zardoz wrote: »

Well I guess its down to a number of factors .
    Firstly they are supposed to be taking a break after this tour ,however I think Chris Martin has backtracked on this.

Secondly their shows are an excellent spectacle , lots of laser lights and pyrotechnics, 2 b stages ,etc.

Word of mouth has spread of the tours good reviews.
    The tour grossed $137.2 million in the first half of 2016 from 29 shows. ( The Dublin gig should gross ~10m dollars ,by far the highest on the tour )

Thirdly the gig is on a Saturday night .

Fourthly ,the band wagoners and Croke Park event junkies .
    Also add the fact their last 2 or 3 records have been massive commercial success's

Also add the fact their last 2 or 3 records have been massive commercial success's

Did you get tickets?

• Advertisement

Did you get tickets?

Nope :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

They could easily set a limit of 4 per person, this would at least slow down the touts gobbling up tickets. I have also seen limits of 2 quite a few times. Then the next stage is ticketless event which a few bands have started doing. Eg Iron Maiden in 3arena. You go with ID and credit card to gain entry on the day.
    Net result is only one country with their gigs is being resold on Seatwave:
    http://www.seatwave.ie/iron-maiden-tickets/season
    It must be down to the band, otherwise all MCD events in 3arena would be ticketless the same as Iron Maiden.

Nope :(:(

Shocked so few on here got tickets. I thought another date would be announced this morning. :( Maybe that person on here was right, another artist has booked the venue so they can't add another.

MCD did say there is currently no plans but if they can't do another date, I wish they would just say it's not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

Shocked so few on here got tickets. I thought another date would be announced this morning. :( Maybe that person on here was right, another artist has booked the venue so they can't add another.

MCD did say there is currently no plans but if they can't do another date, I wish they would just say it's not happening.

First time I got screwed by the Ticketmaster digital queue, the page refreshed at 8:59 for me automatically. Kinda strange that it did this ahead of time. Thankfully had another friend at a TM outlet pick up an extra so I lucked out.

I still wouldnt rule out a second show just yet. Are there any artists that are likely to be touring next year that could sell 2 nights in Croker? Maybe im just being hopeful but i still think the 2nd date will be announced between now and x-mas

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

I still wouldnt rule out a second show just yet. Are there any artists that are likely to be touring next year that could sell 2 nights in Croker? Maybe im just being hopeful but i still think the 2nd date will be announced between now and x-mas

Yes.. There 1 one particular artist who is Touring and rumoured to make a return. He wears a cowboy hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Well the guy in the cowboy hat sold out 5 nights last time and he is rumored to want to return .
    U2 could easily sell it out 2 nights if they choose to tour outdoors as opposed to indoors.

It seems easier than ever to sell out Croke Park nowadays ,even the Script were able to sell it out .

Yes.. There 1 one particular artist who is Touring and rumoured to make a return. He wears a cowboy hat.

Would he come for just 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id say U2 are definitely pencilled in for at least one night next summer. New album on the way and a tour starting in early 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

Would he come for just 2?

From what I have hear (source within the music industry) there are plans for 2/3 nights in Croke Park and shows planned in Cork, Limerick and Kilkenny.

I think the mayor of Cork mentioned something a while back.

• Advertisement

From what I have hear (source within the music industry) there are plans for 2/3 nights in Croke Park and shows planned in Cork, Limerick and Kilkenny.

I think the mayor of Cork mentioned something a while back.

Hope they are wrong. :P Bump him to the Aviva. :pac:

Aikenpromotions said they have no clue what the mayor of Cork was saying about Garth and Adele playing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,411 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Guns n roses look set to be touring Europe next summer. Robbie Williams is touring next year too

Rumours that Fleetwood Mac, The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi and Daft Punk among others will be in Europe in 2017 too

One of those list may headline Slane id say

2017 is going to be a great year for live music

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Guns n roses look set to be touring Europe next summer. Robbie Williams is touring next year too

Rumours that Fleetwood Mac, The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi and Daft Punk among others will be in Europe in 2017 too

The only band that would sell out Croker would be Guns N Roses followed by Rolling Stones. The rest would have not hope imo. Id say Bon Jovi will play the RDS or Aviva , Daft Punk in Marley , Fleetwood Mac maybe Aviva or 2 or 3 nights in the 3Arena , Robbie in the Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 38,411 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The only band that would sell out Croker would be Guns N Roses followed by Rolling Stones. The rest would have not hope imo. Id say Bon Jovi will play the RDS or Aviva , Daft Punk in Marley , Fleetwood Mac maybe Aviva or 2 or 3 nights in the 3Arena , Robbie in the Aviva

Will the rds be ready to host events next summer as I though they were redeveloping the place

Mite set up a 2017 Irish concert thread

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

I would be the happiest person ever if Robbie played Slane again but looking at the other bands in that list, I'd be shocked if it was him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭desdman

After watching a bit of this video, I'm not surprised that the Coldplay tickets allocation ended in controversy :rolleyes: .Especially the sentence @ 20.15
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWlnL8drSdw

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Tried to get 4 tickets this morning but ended up getting 4 for the Cardiff gig on the 12th of July for 288 sterling.
    Hotels are pricey but i'm happy i bit the bullet cos it now looks like there's not gonna be a 2nd Dublin gig.

I was at a match in Cardiff last year and stayed in Bristol, cheap flights and reasonably priced hotel beside the main train station, train to Cardiff was about an hour or so (If I re-call correctly), might be worth looking into and may save you a few quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Did you manage to keep a straight face while typing that?

3rd Paris show added. I'm so mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Did you manage to keep a straight face while typing that?

In fairness to the former fat dancer from take that, he's probably able to put on a decent show.

Advertisement