Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldplay Tour 2017 - Croke Park - **NO TICKET SALES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 marcmc77

anyone tell me if the pitch 1,2 and 3 areas were strictly adhered to,just wondering with U2 in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

marcmc77 wrote: »
    anyone tell me if the pitch 1,2 and 3 areas were strictly adhered to,just wondering with U2 in mind.

Yep, rigidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

An amazing night, but the support acts left a very sour taste before Coldplay came on. They were actually a disgrace. Absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    An amazing night, but the support acts left a very sour taste before Coldplay came on. They were actually a disgrace. Absolutely terrible.

Didn't go to this so shouldn't be commenting but did think AlunaGeorge was an odd choice for support for Coldplay. They peaked four years ago guesting on a Disclosure track.

Someone like The Horrors, Nothing But Thieves or Blaenavon would have been better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Didn't go to this so shouldn't be commenting but did think AlunaGeorge was an odd choice for support for Coldplay. They peaked four years ago guesting on a Disclosure track.

Someone like The Horrors, Nothing But Thieves or Blaenavon would have been better.

She was actually terrible. Came out wearing barely any clothes with two dancers who could've been passed off as if they were on drugs. Bouncy bouncy music with her screaming into the mic. She was lip syncing one or two of em aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

We only arrived when they had a 4 or 5 songs left.

I thought it brutal alright. I did wonder if the 2 dancers had been plucked from a local dance school.

There's a lot to be said for something like what Robbie Williams did with having Erasure as support.
    The Aviva was all set to go after they had finished. Erasure were outstanding that fine sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

To be fair, a lot of the support acts on A Head Full of Dreams tour have been pretty meh, it seems like no one really got awesome support acts. So it wasn't just Dublin. They seemed to go for more Pop acts rather then indie acts this time around.

Compared to Viva La Vida tour, you had Mercury Rev, Elbow, La Roux, Jay Z, White Lies, Flaming Lips, Bat For Lashes, Snow Patrol.

Yep, and given the choice between spending the few quid on a decent support act or
    Coldplay with thy Xylobands, confetti and fireworks, I'll take the latter option.

I'm still buzzing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

lambayire wrote: »
    Yep, and given the choice between spending the few quid on a decent support act or
    Coldplay with thy Xylobands, confetti and fireworks, I'll take the latter option.

I'm still buzzing!

Fair point!

I remember reading an interview with CM and he said that we were practically touring at a loss on the first tour they introduced them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

lambayire wrote: »

I'm still buzzing!

That's very true actually. We got in around half seven I think, sure the minute we got on the pitch it was just incredible, so I didn't really care who was on first. God I'm still on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭TheIrishPC

Coldplay were by far on top of my list of artists I needed to see, who I hadn't seen yet. Unbelievable gig. Had pitch 1 standing and got there at 5.30 thinking the queue would be massive. Turns out they already let everyone in, and I walked in no bother, positioning myself to see the main stage, and be able to rotate to see the B stage. Pretty mush beside the barrier, great view of Chris running. Sensational concert, one the the best I've been too. Just about managed to keep my phone alive, with it on 7% when everything finished.

Well worth the money, can understand why people were paying well above face value to go. Can't quite say it was my best experience ever; that has to be being in Lille to see Robbie Brady score against Italy in Euro 2016. Now that was a stadium that was bouncing. Nevertheless, would easily go again.

In terms of security, I wasn't even patted down, and just pointed out that my 'bag' was a fold up jacket, which they confirmed and walked straight through. Support was nothing memorable, and at 7pm, standing was barely half full. But once Coldplay were on, oh those were some memorable 2 hours!

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    What an amazing concert, I was in pitch 3 just before Aluna George and the atmosphere was amazing. I noticed the sound alittle bad at the start of aluna with alot of echo bounching of the back of the stadium but perhaps they increased the sound on the back speakers to fix it. What ever they done 5 mins in to aluna,it fixed it.

I remember reading a review about Beyonce in croker last year, They said in the croke park overview "Fantastic stadium for GAA games, But terrible for concerts, When 'Queen b' can't blow the roof of the place no one can"...Well This concert will have her looking to delete that...Great spot for the concert,Sound was perfect everyone had nothing but positive energy and things to say about it.(We won't mention the bottle throwing idiot).

Hopefully the lads don't leave it as long next time to come back and might even try the 5 nights in a row :p

My parents got premium tickets off Ticketmaster on Friday. My dad was reluctant to go because of the sound quality. He still stands by his opinion that Croke Park is not made for concerts, and the sound just came and went. Granted he's a physicist, and does a lot of work analysing sound frequencies, and music therapy. He said from a visual perspective it was spectacular, but not for sound. I had standing so both were incredible for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

TheIrishPC wrote: »

Support was nothing memorable, and at 7pm, standing was barely half full. But once Coldplay were on, oh those were some memorable 2 hours!

Half full ,lol,it was barely 1/8th full .
    If I said there were 500 people in Pitch Standing 1 at 7.30 I would be exaggerating.
    I've never seen a pit area so slow to fill up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Zardoz wrote: »
    Half full ,lol,it was barely 1/8th full .
    If I said there were 500 people in Pitch Standing 1 at 7.30 I would be exaggerating.
    I've never seen a pit area so slow to fill up.

I remember being at U2 in Croke 2009 and we weren't allowed bring drinks into the auditorium area. Was it a similar setup Saturday?

I remember being at U2 in Croke 2009 and we weren't allowed bring drinks into the auditorium area. Was it a similar setup Saturday?

No ,you could bring drink onto the pitch .They were actually selling it on the side of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

No ,you could bring drink onto the pitch .They were actually selling it on the side of the pitch.

I don't think you could bring it on the pitch. It was a weird set-up that you had to drink in the designated bar area and if you wanted to drink on the pitch you had to buy it on the pitch. I'm sure some managed to but the rule was that you couldn't bring one to the other. Odd one.

I don't think you could bring it on the pitch. It was a weird set-up that you had to drink in the designated bar area and if you wanted to drink on the pitch you had to buy it on the pitch. I'm sure some managed to but the rule was that you couldn't bring one to the other. Odd one.

Probably to prevent the over collection of rubbish. The floor was just a mass of green bottles when it was finished, imagine what it would've been like if any drink could've been brought on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Californeeway

Drinks were fine to bring in. The reason it was so slow to fill up was that there was just a big queue to get from the clonliffe road to into pitch 1 standing between 8 and 9. I was in it for 45 mins anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

You couldn't bring drinks from outside into the pitch. Had to buy them there, handy getting them there actually, never any queue and only a few yards away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Rfrip wrote: »
    You couldn't bring drinks from outside into the pitch.

Yeah there were signs everywhere saying this.

They were only selling Carlsberg on the pitch so I was going out getting cans of Captain Morgans, sticking them in my pockets and strolling into the pitch with them, security never batted an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DCD162

I've seen Coldplay a few times and must say this was by far the best gig I've been to! I'm still buzzing from it 3 days later!

Comparing the set list to the Mylo Xyloto tour, I honestly didnt expect it to be as good but good grief they blew me away! I was towards the back of pitch 3 and it was absolutely perfect, plenty of space, surrounded by great people enjoying themselves, great views of everything!

Hopefully they'll come back again soon! CM is incredible, he could sing the phone book and have any stadium bouncing!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Hopefully anyone who was there might like this version of Sky Full of Stars. Think it captures the atmosphere, band, crowd & stadium well.

Cheers

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Hopefully anyone who was there might like this version of Sky Full of Stars. Think it captures the atmosphere, band, crowd & stadium well.

Superb work bonoman66 ,take a bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Superb work bonoman66 ,take a bow.

I'm humbled by your comment Zardoz. Thank you very much. It was great that so many other fans had good footage from various angles as this was such a nice moment in the night & I actually like looking at it myself too as its a reminder to other artists what crowds & venues in Ireland can be like when everything is just right on the night. Croke Park looks incredible in this (the xylobands played their part too :-)

Cheers

Superb YouTube clip. Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

That is brilliant Bonoman66-I watched it on the train to work this morning (when usually I try and snooze for 20mins) but I was left buzzing after watching it. What a night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I have a really crap old phone that barely works but here's a couple of pics from pitch 3!

I loved the bit when they zoomed in on people in the crowd -Davin area I think, some great moments captured

• Registered Users Posts: 15 coldplayer90

I will upload a few sh*tty/shaky later on, my phone broke in the middle of the gig, but sure, I saw it all that's the most important thing to make fab memories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

bonoman66 wrote: »

Cheers

WOW!!! If you haven't watched this yet, do so!!

Cheers Bonoman. Way to capture the atmosphere of the night.

Advertisement