Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marrying for visa?

• 30-09-2016 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, this is probably not the most appropriate forum for this question but hoping someone here might know ...

I have been seeing my girlfriend since we were both about 17 when she arrived here in 2012, she is originally from Nigeria and came here to study on a stamp 2 visa with her parents paying for her education but this year their circumstances changed and they were no longer to afford to pay for her meaning she had to drop out of college.

The problem is her stamp 2 expires soon and she is not able to renew it as she would need a letter from her college confirming she is still studying which obviously she isn't.

Just wondering if I decided to marry her now a lot earlier than we planned would this change her situation? Don't mean to sound all soppy but id do anything for her to stay lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Getting married won't automatically entitle her to a visa.

Maybe both you should go to Nigeria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I don't know anything about the process or whether relevant but there is a thread here about de facto visas.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055870436/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i would strongly advise you not to marry this girl until the topic of Visa is 100% off the table.

have heard first hand, some real horror stories about these arrangements and its not advisable for you to become another.

you should both only be wanting to marry when ye are both ready, not when another piece of paper forces ye to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

If you want to marry her and want to live together then it's not really marrying for a visa, you're marrying to stay together.

Do you want to get married?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

BJOS93 wrote: »
    Hi, this is probably not the most appropriate forum for this question but hoping someone here might know ...

I have been seeing my girlfriend since we were both about 17 when she arrived here in 2012, she is originally from Nigeria and came here to study on a stamp 2 visa with her parents paying for her education but this year their circumstances changed and they were no longer to afford to pay for her meaning she had to drop out of college.

The problem is her stamp 2 expires soon and she is not able to renew it as she would need a letter from her college confirming she is still studying which obviously she isn't.

Just wondering if I decided to marry her now a lot earlier than we planned would this change her situation? Don't mean to sound all soppy but id do anything for her to stay lol

Have a look at the INIS website, its got all the info. A couple living together for 2 years or more can apply for a defacto visa, it can take a long time though to process (months).

Marriage does not guarantee a visa in Ireland but ironically it does everywhere else in the EU.

Working holiday visas in other countries are also an option if your both under 30.

Best of luck to ye !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Any visa issues aside op, ask yourself this: Do you want to marry this girl? You are only 21, mind.
    If you get married you will be manacled to this woman for several years even if you decide to divorce. Think about how much divorce will cost you and you will then be a divorcee, which is not going to do you any favours a few years down the road when you're on the dating scene looking for someone that you actually WANT to marry.

Step back and have a good proper think about this. Is your judgement clouded here?

Have you told your family? What do your family say about marrying a Nigerian girl? I can't imagine it going down quite as well as as if you told them you were to marry a local farmers daughter with acreage and road frontage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MsAquamarine

Just wondering can't she find a job and get a work visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BJOS93

Thanks so much for all your replies and concern .. I understand the doubts you might have but I know that our relationship is 100% genuine and yes we both want to get married and start a family but ideally not yet.

Anyway in the last few days since posting this there's been a slight change and she has applied for a stamp 4 visa .. hoping it all goes well, she deserves it so much and would not misuse it like many others.

And to the person who thinks my parents would prefer a local farmers daughter, they really wouldn't ... this is the only girlfriend I've ever had that they actually like lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement