Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Extender ???

• 30-09-2016 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

hey all

at the moment i am residing in a hostel where there is UPC internet upstairs for everyone , when i am in my room my laptop barely picks up the signal from the router upstairs , sometimes i get it sometimes i dont ,

what wifi extenders, plugins do i need for this ??? it is only one floor up !!

Comments

something like one of these.
    it needs to be able to be plugged in somewhere in the in-between point between where you cannot get the signal and where you can to extend it.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?pp=20&s=Price%3A+Low+-+High&storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&q=WIFI+EXTENDER&authToken=

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Klasse

found a couple on harvey norman not sure which one to get to pick up the signal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

If you are going for a wifi extender you will need to plug it in roughly half way between where the signal is coming from and where you want it to end up. Best option would be a powerline adapter but not sure if A. It would be secure, as in the sender wouldn't get nicked, and B. the rooms are on separate power boxes

Klasse wrote: »
    found a couple on harvey norman not sure which one to get to pick up the signal

first thing to check is if there is a suitable plug in the halfway place in where you're staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can you ask the manager to extend the wifi and make it his issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Klasse

ted1 wrote: »
    Can you ask the manager to extend the wifi and make it his issue

Not really !!! Basically need a usb stick that has a extra strength aerials to pick up the signal from upstairs !!

Advertisement