Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Thermostats? or other fixes for poor stat location?

• 30-09-2016 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have what is a typical Irish setup I guess - one stat in hall, one stat in landing. To me this gives pretty useless control of the 3 main rooms that I want to control the temperature of.

To be fair, the house is better than the average rental house - there is a decent programmable controller and 2 zones + hot water. So I don't want to upset the existing setup any more than I have to, especially as I'm only renting. TRVs are out for the same reason.

My idea is that I find some product that puts a base unit with a relay to replace the existing stats, and I then have 2 wireless units that sit in the rooms I want to control. These wireless boxes then tell the relay boxes to activate/deactivate that circuit.

So heating experts.... is this possible/practical?
    Is this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003DVN8HU?psc=1 Honeywell product what I want? Is there a cheaper option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I know you said that they are out but trvs may be the simplest solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I know you said that they are out but trvs may be the simplest solution

Hmmm if I had any sort of security in the place without being subject to a whopping rent increase I probably would.

Now for the scary part..... I'm thinking of cobbling my own system together with a low power Linux box and some wireless bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Now for the scary part..... I'm thinking of cobbling my own system together with a low power Linux box and some wireless bits.

Scratch that.. I think I'll just go for the most simple solution, whatever that may be.

Thermostats are Sunvic TLX 4101. Two wires, COMmon and DEMand, but no neutral as far as I can make out.

Bad locations AND bad stats? What are my options here? Would I (or a qualified professional!) need a neutral to fit a more advanced stat or a base unit for a wireless stat?

Advertisement