Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New dog....

• 30-09-2016 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We recently adopted a young dog (<1 y/o) from <snip>
    Shes a collie/bulldog mix, we think. Very little history on her so hard to tell.
    Shes very friendly and playful, but we have a 14 year old dog who really sturggles with his mobility, and she is driving him mad. She keeps biting under his neck, goading him to play, barking at him incessantly. She also seems to have figured out he has trouble with his back legs andnips at those and jumps on him in that area.
    I really, really love the old fella, hes my girlffriends dog of over 14 years and I've known him since we met a year and a half ago. I dont know what it is but I just have a bond with him. Hes a strange character for a dog in that he isnt overly interested in other dogs at all.
    I think this behaviour from our new dog is really distressing him, hes a bit bigger and heavier than her and is able to fend her off for the most part, but if she runs around him, he just cant turn to keep up.
    I cannot get her to stop, and my worry is that while we are at work, she is tormenting him with this for the full 8-9 hours. He would normally sleep all day before we got her.
    I'd love some ideas on how to get her to stop tormenting him, as I hate watching it. Maybe Im being a bit sensitive given how much I love him, but I really dont think he i enjoying having her round.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Keep them separate unless you are with them and can interrupt her behaviour, say by distracting with a toy or game. Make sure the young dog has loads of exercise and things to keep her occupied so that the older dog doesn't get the brunt of the pups exuberance, which is totally normal for her age plus with her breeding she will be very high energy, you just need to channel it away from the old dog as you say it's not fair on the oldie especially if he can't get away from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭EmmaMurray2016

We have a new pup also this is normal for a puppy. We have ours 2 months now and we honestly thought he would never calm down he has started to calm down. He is teething. Keep giving him teething rings and keep distracting him when he runs for your other dog. Separate them maybe at night or at some stages of the day. Even if you put a fence across so they can see ea other but at the same time get use to them. We bought loads of baby teething rings.

They are like little babies lol

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I would separate them when you are in the house. Id imagine 14 and a 1 year old have VERY different ways of playing. A good idea would be a baby gate. So the dogs can stay separate but still see eachother if they want to.

Bring the young dog out for walks on his own so the 14 year old gets some alone time to relax. When the 1 year old starts annoying with the 14 year old, its up to you and your girlfriend to re-direct his energy. Get a toy for him, do some training or some other activities (like hide and seek, a put together agility course in your garden). Anything to distract him from the older dog. If you are busy in the house and don't have time to distract him, get a kong. It will keep him occupied for half an hour at least.

The 1 year old may calm down but I have a collie and know how much energy they can have. My collie is nearly 8 and people still think she's a pup the way she goes on.

Best of luck!

Advertisement