Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMOK Osub 40W - Im new to mods can someone help?

• 30-09-2016 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey Guys,

Im new enough to Mod's , I was running on an eGo AIO and found it to be a great little device, but wanted to get something with a little more power, so I purchased this mod by SMOK yesterday.

Can someone explain to me how to use temperature control and what effect this has on battery life and usage of e-liquid?

Also, can someone please explain to me the significance of the different ohm coils and what difference this makes in vaping?

Thank you in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I would stay away from temp control if you are a n00by. I've been vaping for years and I still haven't used it. Just use regular wattage mode for now. Start low, like 10w, then make your way up until it feels good. Do this carefully as you might burn the coil.

I'm not an electrician so I can't go into a lot of detail, but different ohm coils offer different levels of resistance. A high resistance coil would be around 1.5 or 1.8 ohms. This would produce a good amount of vapour depending on the wattage level, but you won't be blasting mad clouds. The closer you get to 1 ohm the bigger the clouds. Then there's sub ohm - less than 1 ohm. You might have seen 0.5ohm or 0.2 ohm coils around. This is massive cloud territory and I wouldn't bother with that (cloudblasters don't cry, this is just my opinion). It kills your battery and you go through litres of juice. Stay above 1 ohm for now. You'll save money on juice and your battery will last longer. I personally vape at 1.5 ohms, hovering around 13 watts. (Eleaf GS Tank and Nautilus X)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DanielVarian

Thanks for your reply :) so the coil im using at the moment is a 0.4 ohm coil and im running it at 20W at the moment which i find okay, im using a high VG liquid maybe 70% vg and 30% pg, (it has 3mg nicotine, which is the lowest I have ever gone) im getting fairly big amounts of vapour :) its just confusing with all the resistance stuff out there in terms of what coils I can or cant use in this device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Hey Guys,

Im new enough to Mod's , I was running on an eGo AIO and found it to be a great little device, but wanted to get something with a little more power, so I purchased this mod by SMOK yesterday.

Can someone explain to me how to use temperature control and what effect this has on battery life and usage of e-liquid?

Also, can someone please explain to me the significance of the different ohm coils and what difference this makes in vaping?

Thank you in advance :D

Like JackieChang suggests, don't worry too much on TC for now. I'm vaping 4 yrs and rarely ever use TC modes. It's nice to know it's there, but anytime I tried it, I felt "meh" and went right back to normal power/wattage mode. Also be very aware that TC modes can only be used for Nickel, Titanium and stainless steel coils. Do not use normal kanthal coils in that mode, if you're not sure, then stick to power mode either way.

I'm not saying Temp control is a bad thing, just don't worry about it until you do more research into it and get well used to wattage vaping first.

A 0.4 ohm coil will really deliver best in around 40 - 50w, so you're a bit on the low side on that one. if it's a satisfying vape for you, that's grand, and all that matters, but maybe try turning it up a tad. See how you find it. I like to keep an eye on the volts, if your mod displays that too? Between 4v - 4.2v is where I find my most comfortable vape, and adjust the wattage accordingly.

The lower the resistance of the coil, the higher in wattage you want to push. Lower resistance coils [below 0.5ohm] are more power hungry, but they will deliver a warmer, cloudier vape. that does not mean the flavour will be any better. That's comes more down to the airflow, and the actual build of the coils.

Do what i did, and continue to do, watch ****e tonnes of youttube vids :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

Yeah 20w seems pretty low. Do you notice that it takes probably 5 seconds to initially heat up? Not sure what it'd be like on the power consumption by using 20w with that low resistance, maybe the same as a higher resistance coil I don't know.

If it works for you don't worry about it. You'll probably find you'll naturally start upping the watts anyway

I've had temperature control on mods for ages, never used it once. Heard it can help with battery life, but you can always just use lower watts. It sounds like a bit of a gimmick but again I never used it

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DanielVarian

What i really notice iis the lack of throat hit at 20w with 3mg nicotine, does the ohm's on a coil affect battery life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

If I had to guess I would say no. I think wattage is the main factor. The lower the ohms, the more watts you need to get it up to temperature. By that logic you'll need to use low wattage longer, but I think that's much better on the battery than high wattage for short periods. A single battery on high watts seems to kill my batteries anyway

If your mod has voltage try and go by that. I generally vape at 4.7, but to test I dropped it to 4.2 and it's a much cooler vape with less throat hit. I think if you start going much above 4.7 your cotton will probably get burnt to hell. Probably depends a lot on the coil build though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

4.2v is usually my sweet spot for most coils, I'll push claptons a lot more [kick them up around 10w more than other coils for better ramp up], but 4.2v is a good guideline. Adjust up or down to your own taste

Advertisement