Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OpenDNS reporting boards.ie as a phishing site

Options
  • 01-10-2016 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just as a heads up, for some reason OpenDNS servers are blocking access to boards.ie this morning on the basis of it being a phishing site, so may need action on boards.ie's side to resolve that if there have in fact been reports submitted. Had to switch my router to use Google DNS ahead of OpenDNS to get access here this morning, so you could see a traffic impact if this continues.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

I had the same thing happen to me as well, I whitelisted the site to regain access and signed up to www.phishtank.com/ to flag it as a false positive.
    Hopefully if enough people flag it as a false positive the phish tag will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep have the same issue here. Using m.boards.ie to post this as it is unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I had the same thing happen to me as well, I whitelisted the site to regain access and signed up to www.phishtank.com/ to flag it as a false positive.
    Hopefully if enough people flag it as a false positive the phish tag will be removed.

I did the same - phishtank is reporting 57% of votes for not a phish - which suggests there's been a number of votes for phish - I suspect someone has been gaming with phishtank.

Paddy

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'll mark this thread for the attention of the guys in the office, but it'll be Monday before any of them are around I'm afraid.

A little more digging and it appears that the flag was raised on the electric Ireland forum http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1349 I have marked it as a false positive, so hopefully it will be sorted.
    As Paddy said there are a lot of votes for phish, but that number is now down to 38%

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Is this the same issue I've been having accessing boards from the vodafone mobile data network? Keep getting redirected to some IP address starting with 10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Is this the same issue I've been having accessing boards from the vodafone mobile data network? Keep getting redirected to some IP address starting with 10.

Vodafone used to have it flagged as an adult site. You need to get onto them to make sure there's no filters applied to your account.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Fcuk that tbh, I just won't bother looking at boards while on mobile data. Haven't the patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,074 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I might be able to fix this, just send me your passwords, banking account no's, PINs...

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks for all the help and info folks; a number of people were unable to access the site on Saturday but this seems to be resolved since Saturday night/Sunday morning. This may be in part to votes on phishtank as above so if so, thank you :) I've passed Ronan a link to this thread to take a look at in case it helps with his investigations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

Thanks for all the help and info folks; a number of people were unable to access the site on Saturday but this seems to be resolved since Saturday night/Sunday morning. This may be in part to votes on phishtank as above so if so, thank you :) I've passed Ronan a link to this thread to take a look at in case it helps with his investigations.
    It's not fixed
    Voda phone redirect most boards threads to 10.163.16.125:9501/XMPBlocked/always.html
    I've checked with them and it's not a mature filter

^^^Same. I haven't been able to access anything from the VF network other than the front page or I get the above XMPBlocked thing.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

That appears to be a Vodafone issue, but we're looking into it now.

I've emailed one of our contacts in Vodafone now so hopefully they can pass it on to the relevant person to rectify. We will keep you posted.

Hi guys,
    Sheena in Vodafone will look into this for you individually if you can PM her with details of the issue you are experiencing. If it turns out not to be Vodafone specific, please let me know and we'll look into it further.

You can PM Sheena here.

I just checked the phishtank site and www.boards.ie has been removed from the listings, so at least openDNS (& any other services that use phishtank) should be OK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Hi guys,
    Sheena in Vodafone will look into this for you individually if you can PM her with details of the issue you are experiencing. If it turns out not to be Vodafone specific, please let me know and we'll look into it further.

You can PM Sheena here.

It's not just happening with Vodafone.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/101252370

guil wrote: »
    It's not just happening with Vodafone.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/101252370

This was happening for a short time at the weekend as Open DNS had incorrectly listed us as a phishing site. As far as we can tell the majority of people are able to access the site now and the few people who have reported not being able to are all on Vodafone. If this is a coincidence and not a Vodafone issue, we'll look into it further ourselves. Sheena from Vodafone is looking into it with anyone has contacted her.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Weird I've had no issue accessing from three unless it's a legacy O2 user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Still at it here on Vodafone.

uLBvw5.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

Still at it here on Vodafone.

uLBvw5.png

It's a trick to mak us use the touch site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

On Sunday, I was blocked on my laptop but not my mobile. I changed my DNS setting as per some bright spark in a forum and have had no further issues.

Vodafone are still looking into this for us. For Reals if you can remember what settings you changed, that might be helpful for some other users - thanks!

Boards.ie Employee

Morning all,

Some Vodafone users are reporting that they're not having issues any more. Just wanted to check with a broader base to see if things are OK on your end?

Morning all,

Some Vodafone users are reporting that they're not having issues any more. Just wanted to check with a broader base to see if things are OK on your end?

Vodafone is now grand for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Morning all,

Touch site is fine as always but if I tap full site at the bottom of this thread I get 10.163.19.253:9501/XMPBlocked/always.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I use the full site on my phone, can get to the front page but if I click a link to a thread, I am still getting "10.163.19.253:9501/XMPBlocked/always.html". (Just tried the touch site and it seems to be okay, the random thread I clicked got me through to a thread.)

Vexorg wrote: »
    I use the full site on my phone, can get to the front page but if I click a link to a thread, I am still getting "10.163.19.253:9501/XMPBlocked/always.html". (Just tried the touch site and it seems to be okay, the random thread I clicked got me through to a thread.)
    Samesies.

Boards.ie Employee

Vodafone is still working away on this issue.

• Advertisement

Guys I'm sorry, but I made an error earlier in the day.

I have 2 phones, one for business(on Vodafone) and one for personal (3) and I popped my 3 sim into my work phone at the weekend, and forgot to change it back until 4pm today. So it was actually the 3 network that was allowing me to gain access to boards.

Sad to have to report back that the issues not sorted at all for Vodafone.

Advertisement