Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New couch paying monthly, advice please

Options
  • 01-10-2016 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

So we bought a new couch from DFS, we've only had it about 2 months, we signed up to pay it over 3 years. We only have it a short time and realise it's really uncomfortable, it was quite firm at the beginning but has really softened and is too sinky, myself and my husband both have sore backs at the moment and I'm convinced it's the couch, the angle of it is so unsupportive and the cushions constantly move and your always readjusting them and your position to get comfortable. We obviously can't prove it's the couch doing this, I've never had back problems in my life and suddenly it's sore everyday and I just know it's that causing it. Is there anything we can do, I really don't want to keep it and keep paying it for something I hate sitting on for 3 years, it wasn't cheap either. Any advice or suggestions very welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Thestones wrote: »
    So we bought a new couch from DFS, we've only had it about 2 months, we signed up to pay it over 3 years. We only have it a short time and realise it's really uncomfortable, it was quite firm at the beginning but has really softened and is too sinky, myself and my husband both have sore backs at the moment and I'm convinced it's the couch, the angle of it is so unsupportive and the cushions constantly move and your always readjusting them and your position to get comfortable. We obviously can't prove it's the couch doing this, I've never had back problems in my life and suddenly it's sore everyday and I just know it's that causing it. Is there anything we can do, I really don't want to keep it and keep paying it for something I hate sitting on for 3 years, it wasn't cheap either. Any advice or suggestions very welcome. Thanks

Unless it is defective, it is a case of caveat emptor. Maybe invest in some nice cushions to support your back when sitting in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If it was firm when you bought it and has gone soft over the course of a few months, then I'd argue that it is not what you bought and that it is defective.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Is there a 'fit for sale' angle for a couch that sinks too much.

A friend of my wifes bought a DFS 3-piece & one side sinks considerably after a couple of minutes sitting.... Very little back padding either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

dudara wrote: »
    If it was firm when you bought it and has gone soft over the course of a few months, then I'd argue that it is not what you bought and that it is defective.

Leather/fabric cushions soften with use. I've often sat in other people's couches and thought I wouldn't like this at all, but I'm sure people have sat on ours and thought the same. Could be a case of buyers remorse and not wanting to pay for another two and a half years.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

davo10 wrote: »
    Leather/fabric cushions soften with use. I've often sat in other people's couches and thought I wouldn't like this at all, but I'm sure people have sat on ours and thought the same. Could be a case of buyers remorse and not wanting to pay for another two and a half years.

Well obviously you regret buying something when the quality turns out to be a bit krap! The whole point of a couch is a comfortable place to sit and relax, it's not supposed to cause you agrravstion. I have no issue paying for something over a 3 yr period but I'm majorly pissed off with the quality, it's a fabric couch and already two areas the threads are fraying which aside from the comfort issue just shows how poorly it's made. We have the fabric care policy so I can get on about that but I that isn't my concern right now.

Thanks for all the comments, I will have a think how to approach it but I think I have to make a complaint and go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Based on several threads in this forum, their customer service is terrible and a lot of people have had problems with defective products they bought from them.

Bear in mind that if you are paying over three years, that probably involves a loan that was taken out with a finance company who paid DFS for the product you purchased so don't think that the threat of withholding your monthly payments will get you anywhere with DFS, they already have your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

The mistake you made was buying from dfs. Its very rare to find people giving them praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Walter2016 wrote: »
    The mistake you made was buying from dfs. Its very rare to find people giving them praise.

Yes so wish I had researched online beforehand, don't know why I didn't, I usually do with these sort of things. We just were very tight on money after renovating a house and the option to pay monthly was very appealing when we needed furniture badly! Anyway we live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Don't know a whole lot about furniture but some cushions do need to be flipped regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

A couch should last more than a couple of months, if you think it should be replaced I think you should have plenty of reason to under the sale of goods legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Walter2016 wrote: »

I avoid purely because if their sales style . Advertising couches at 50% off their post promotions price. They'll never stick them post promotion

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

davo10 wrote: »

Yes, but I wouldn't expect significant softening after just a few months. I think the OP has a valid cause for concern here.

Advertisement