Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outboard engine help

Options
  • 01-10-2016 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi all
    Hope im in the right place.
    Ive a yamaha 4hp 4 stroke engine, was running fine then I noticed it was a little Smokey, white smoke, then the last time the engine was used it wouldnt idle off choke.
    The carb has been cleaned but this has had no effect.
    I suspect the head gasket has failed, my reasoning for this is the white smoke and the engines compression is low.
    What do you guys think?
    I was gonna pull the head off and check , where could I get any indormation on stripping these engines.
    Thsnks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It sounds like it's gone alright your compression should be about 170 psi, if the engine has been used in salt water the bolts can get sized up so to save breaking them spray the bolts with WD40 and leave overnight then use a socket and the ratchet on a screw gun starting low and work your way up to work them loose.
    Here is the basic head removal it should be close to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

Thanks Fergal.
    I dont think its ever been in salt water so hopefully the bolts wont siezed.
    I think ill strip it down thos week.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'm always here or on the sailing and boating forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=393 if you have any questions I will try my best to help, Best of luck with it, you should be able to get a replacement gasket from these http://marineparts.ie/ or even on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

Thats brilliant, thanks so much Fergal.

When I get it stripped ill post back with an update .

Advertisement