Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading alarm system to something controllable from phone?

Options
  • 01-10-2016 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

Our alarm system in the house is about 14 years old, standard tamper sensors on the doors & windows, couple of panic buttons & a couple of PIRS & two keypads (one upstairs, one down).

There's been a raising number of break-ins around the area (Dublin) and I was considering upgrading it. I'm going to be installing cameras soon which will be independent of it & am also planning on upgrading the smoke/CO2 alarms down the line also.

Could we get something added to the control box to make the alarm system controllable from iPhones (arm/disarm), so that we can reset it remotely if it goes off or are we looking at a whole new system? Basically a monitored system with us doing the monitoring.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi
    GSD or Siemens/Vanderbilt would be the 2 I would recommend and we use most.
    They both have free apps that will do everything you want.Their apps are also free to use with no annual or monthly subscription charges.
    The GSD system also has nice integration with HIKVision Cameras & CCTV systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

[Another option is the HKC 10/70 panel is has huge plus over the seimens/vanderbilt in that the app works over GSM and not wifi and the plus in that is if your broadband is out or the thief is clever enough to knock off the power your WiFi only alarm system and your CCTV system is also unless with out power . The HKC GSM unit is battery backed up and also is your phone is out of 3g coverage the HKC GSM text you aswell so even if you are abroad you can still command and control over text aswell as app. It's a hybrid panel so takes wired and wireless sensors. Just another option for you to consider. And there 100% Irish owned

quote="OU812;101220710"]Our alarm system in the house is about 14 years old, standard tamper sensors on the doors & windows, couple of panic buttons & a couple of PIRS & two keypads (one upstairs, one down).

There's been a raising number of break-ins around the area (Dublin) and I was considering upgrading it. I'm going to be installing cameras soon which will be independent of it & am also planning on upgrading the smoke/CO2 alarms down the line also.

Could we get something added to the control box to make the alarm system controllable from iPhones (arm/disarm), so that we can reset it remotely if it goes off or are we looking at a whole new system? Basically a monitored system with us doing the monitoring.[/quote]

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

This is the sort of thing you hear when an installer wants you to install what they want. This has all been hammered out before.
    Any systems can back up the app over GSM and other paths without the need to charge for the app or without tying you to monthly or annual subscriptions.
    All systems would have these units backed up by the panel battery also.
    Siemens also has the advantage that the panel can be accessed via any web browser should you not have a data connection on your phone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Any idea on price guys?

We don't go into pricing here.My advice would be to shop around and get a few quotes from at least 3 installers.

• Advertisement

So as my point was that when the eletricty goes in the house or if a thief turned off the eletricty the WiFi enabled alarm panel is unable to communicate to ANYONE is still a very valid point and yes it is something you pay for but people like choice and sometimes the paid option is the BEST option . And I personally like a system that has more than one communication path like the Siemens.

KoolKid wrote: »
    This is the sort of thing you hear when an installer wants you to install what they want. This has all been hammered out before.
    Any systems can back up the app over GSM and other paths without the need to charge for the app or without tying you to monthly or annual subscriptions.
    All systems would have these units backed up by the panel battery also.
    Siemens also has the advantage that the panel can be accessed via any web browser should you not have a data connection on your phone etc.

We really have been over all this before. Perhaps you could have a read over the sticky and we can go over it again there if you want to.
    Siemens is capable of more multiple paths than any other panel. Every panel is capable of multiple paths without the need for subscriptions etc.
    There can be multiple IP ATS and ATP configured with polling notifications as low as 20 seconds.
    You can back this up with GSM as well.
    You can also back up via landline as well.
    If the HKC features as so much better then why don't they offer the basic app over IP for free like every other system. Why do they charge €7.99 for every app when others are free?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

I am actually in the process of shopping around for an upgrade of my alarm too. One thing I prefer not to have is recurring costs which I only realized after getting 2 quotes.

One is the annual app costs and the other is the wireless window detectors. Also the sim card apparently cannot be taken out of the system without a call out if you forget to top up unless you have some special sim card??
    The wireless window detector batteries need to be changes every 5-6 years, again the guys has to be called out as you can't do it yourself.
    Was going to order today but I think I'll do a bit of research on this forum first. I do like the idea of using a key fob which I was offered. Both quotes was for HKC I think, not sure if they're good or not.

I would recommend that you shop around a bit more. If it's for a fully wireless system you could also look at GSD. No app charges or subscription charges there either.
    I'd recommend that you use a self maintained sim card. If you register this online you can top up online without the need for you to remove the sim card.
    If you wish to change your own batteries, that's OK. It's your system after all. Just beware that you are not claiming the system conforms to En50131 to your insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

I would like a self-maintained system and I think most would, though I havent taken insurance companies into account didn't think of that.
    I was told both taking the sim card out and changing batteries cannot be done by myself and they have to come to you (and charge you) to do it.

I already have my own wired system in but no window detectors and still shocked at the price. Hopefully I know what to ask on the phone before they call out as I am about 30km outside of Cork city and there's only 2 local companies in town which I already have quotes from.

Both quotes used a HKC hybrid system but I'll specifically ask what systems they have before the call out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

KoolKid wrote:
    We don't go into pricing here.My advice would be to shop around and get a few quotes from at least 3 installers.

KoolKid wrote:
    . If the HKC features as so much better then why don't they offer the basic app over IP for free like every other system. Why do they charge €7.99 for every app when others are free?

Its in the sticky post lads. So let's leave it there I agree with that advice offered here

Might add in there about upcoming cost increases or potential future costs.

You can change all the sensors batterys your self and also the main panel battery . And the GSM Q can be run with a ready to go sim card which can be topped up by €5 every 150 days . I was trying to have a bit of balance to the debate but as someone here hates a certain product you don't get a balanced view and that's a FACT . I have no issues with any other panel just a overall view point is that a wifi only panel is very 1 dimensional and vulnerable in a power failure.

Block (8 wrote: »
    I would like a self-maintained system and I think most would, though I havent taken insurance companies into account didn't think of that.
    I was told both taking the sim card out and changing batteries cannot be done by myself and they have to come to you (and charge you) to do it.

I already have my own wired system in but no window detectors and still shocked at the price. Hopefully I know what to ask on the phone before they call out as I am about 30km outside of Cork city and there's only 2 local companies in town which I already have quotes from.

Both quotes used a HKC hybrid system but I'll specifically ask what systems they have before the call out.

stuartkee wrote: »
    You can change all the sensors batterys your self and also the main panel battery . And the GSM Q can be run with a ready to go sim card which can be topped up by €5 every 150 days . I was trying to have a bit of balance to the debate but as someone here hates a certain product you don't get a balanced view and that's a FACT . I have no issues with any other panel just a overall view point is that a wifi only panel is very 1 dimensional and vulnerable in a power failure.

It interesting that you say say you have no problem with other panels. Neither do I , but I show people what their options are as opposed to what I want them to be. As an example , we are installing a system for a customer this week who has an Astec system installed. They had 2 lads out before me who told her the only option was to remove everything & replace it with HKC. even adding in GSM & some unnecessary wireless to sweeten the deal.
    I am unsure what you are trying to get across with regard to HKC GSM & power cuts.????
    All systems GSM back ups will still continue to operate in the event of a power cut by using the panels back up battery.

Just an example why people should shop around.
    For the record when requested I have installed HKC,Ricso,UTC, Visonic, Galaxy and many other systems when requested or recommended to the customers needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

I would urge all concerned to remember the fact that anything connected to the internet is hackable . CCTV systems worldwide are constantly being hacked into , same would therefore go for the siemens alarm systems constantly being plugged here by a couple of posters , with your phone number anybody with any coding experience can tap your wifi from a van outside your home pretty quickly .

Some things are best kept off wifi & alarms are certainly one of those in my opinion . Go with the GSM or even the old fashioned but ever reliable radio link .

Also for the love of jaysus stay away from visonic ! A yale alarm from dealz would be better ! Some companies seem to race eachother to the gutter as regards pricing but cheaper is never better . Be prepared to spend a few bob at first and have it looked at every 2 years - by following this your alarm system should last years !

We are getting into the ridiculous now..
    Use GSM because an IP system can be hacked.??
    Do some research. GSM jammers would be cheaper and easier option to disrupt comms.
    We are talking about protecting your home against burglars not the NSA or the likes.

We are getting into the ridiculous now..
    Use GSM because an IP system can be hacked.??
    Do some research. GSM jammers would be cheaper and easier option to disrupt comms.
    We are talking about protecting your home against burglars not the NSA or the likes.

Saw how easy it is at a seminar in Hamburg last year - within 2 minutes the lad had gotten into a nvr and had the pics on his laptop , we were told the same applys for ip alarms and pretty much anything online . All he needed was a landline number .

Sadly it seems you are completly unaware of the pitfalls of your beloved siemens systems , however unlikely it is to happen it can be and as such much be a consideration . Obviously i would imagine its a commercial more than a domestic probability .

GSM blockers are a live issue i will give you that , phonelines can be cut thus nullifying the direct dialler , not many 100% guaranteed ways of monitoring

And if IP is so vulnerable how is it only on Siemens panels?
    Surley all IP panels have the same low risk.?
    Most of the cctv systems accessible are using default passwords and ports. Not really comparing like with like here. Just scare mongering.

And if IP is so vulnerable how is it only on Siemens panels?
    Surley all IP panels have the same low risk.?
    Most of the cctv systems accessible are using default passwords and ports. Not really comparing like with like here. Just scare mongering.

Sure it is all ip panels , scare mongering sure but i wouldnt like to get the call from a customer saying my alarm didnt go off . I'll give you its unlikely but not impossible .

Sure it is all ip panels ,
    Then why this comment?
    it seems you are completly unaware of the pitfalls of your beloved siemens systems

Would you not agree GSM /GPRS is more vulnerable with cheap and easy access to jammers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok guys let's give it a rest please.

Aside from the one-upmanship we have some pretty obvious shilling going on too so please stop .

If people want to pay for an app let them. It's not a hidden cost.

Thank you.

Advertisement