Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup Semi-Finals: Sunday 2nd October, 13:45 & 15:55

• 01-10-2016 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭

FAI Cup Semi-Finals on back-to-back tomorrow afternoon. Dundalk host Derry and St Pat's are at home to Cork City.

Dundalk obviously favourites against a Derry side they've beaten comfortably in the last two league matches. Derry did get a draw earlier in the season and threatened to take something off them at the beginning of their match last week, but otherwise, they haven't really been able to face up to Dundalk. Dundalk have had just a small rest from their massive Europa League win. Last time they had a big win in Europe, they lost two league matches on the bounce. I'd imagine they've learnt this time, though, as they've been unbeaten in all competitions the last few weeks, including the Europa League. Derry might up their game for this, but Dundalk will probably shade it by the odd goal.

In the other one, Cork City will be fancied to beat Pats given the big win for City in the last round and Pats only scraping by at home to Ramblers. Whilst we're favourites, if we're to win, it won't be by more than a goal. We never make it easy for ourselves when we're supposed to be in pole position. We only beat Bray by a goal last season, who would've been in a similar position to what Pats are in now. This one could go to a replay, which would be a bit of a disaster for us schedule-wise. And I'd hate to have to miss the first FAI Cup semi-final at the Cross in 11 years.

Both matches live on RTÉ 2, but obviously no better way to go than watching it live at the ground.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I've a feeling Derry ris play and Pats win. Two good games guaranteed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

All that matters (from a Rovers perspective) is Pats going out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Super from Alan Keane there and then the goal scorer is the opposing manager's son. Gas carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Possible dislocation? Nasty. I blame that fecking astro.

Any streams please?

• Advertisement

Nice to see a standing ovation from the Dundalk bench for Shiels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

dfx- wrote: »
    All that matters (from a Rovers perspective) is Pats going out...

Does that get the horse out of the stable?

Sava won't be happy with that. Game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Was just going to post that Derry have been quite disappointing in their 2 games against Dundalk lately but that goal should make it a better game now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Get in !!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good draw for Derry from 2-0 down, nice for Dundalk to have another game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I don't understand replays. Just play on if it's tied after 90.

That GAA final going to a replay the other week was bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Stonewall penalty there, poor call

Oat23 wrote: »
    I don't understand replays. Just play on if it's tied after 90.

That GAA final going to a replay the other week was bizarre.

Just play on? Till when? :pac:

Should have been et at least though I think. Dundalk would certainly have preferred it. But Derry deserved a home game.

Mushy wrote: »
    Stonewall penalty there, poor call

Ref had a great position, bottled it. First contact was clearly inside the box.

Get in!!!!! Bennooooooo

Poor goal to concede. Should have been cut out and no marking in the middle. Not a bad game.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Just play on? Till when? :pac:

Should have been et at least though I think. Dundalk would certainly have preferred it. But Derry deserved a home game.

Play on for 30 mins + pens is what I meant. :)

Down in Inchicore at this game seated quite close to the noisy Pats end. They're chanting F*ck Delaney and the FAI. Is that coming across on TV? Also let off a load of flares before kick off. Fines incoming I'd say.

Match is good to watch from a neutral POV. 1-1 probably fair so far.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Down in Inchicore at this game seated quite close to the noisy Pats end. They're chanting F*ck Delaney and the FAI. Is that coming across on TV? Also let off a load of flares before kick off. Fines incoming I'd say.

Match is good to watch from a neutral POV. 1-1 probably fair so far.

Head that alright. Delaney will get onto the ref at ht, city get dodgy pen and pats will be out while he chuckles away to himself.

• Advertisement

Bullet of a header. Benteke esque !!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

WE'RE GOING TO THE AVVVIIIVVVAAA

Well deserved win. Bring on the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Final and Dawk have another fixture added to the schedule. Been a good day.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Cork looked fantastic there. Well deserved win and they are in a good run of form.

Thought the draw was a fair result in our game. We faded badly in the second half and Derry looked quite strong. Replay is bad for us but had it gone to extra time I think Derry would have won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Get in!!! Delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Play on for 30 mins + pens is what I meant. :)

Need to play the game at a neutral venue then

Need to play the game at a neutral venue then

Why? :confused:

Why? :confused:

to keep it as fair as possible

• Advertisement

to keep it as fair as possible

I don't know why a neutral venue is necessary to make a cup game fair in the event it was to go to extra time? It's the luck of the draw who gets to play at home. If teams were worried about fairness they would demand 2 leg cup games.

They don't do replays in most countries because they know how stupid it is. I guess it is just one of the things we have followed the Brits at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good result for us today, to get a draw against dundalk after being 2 behind.

The young lads played well and kept going, fair play to them and to Kenny Shiels, he deserves to get someone out of this season. We were talking of relegation battle at the start of the season, now it looks like we are guaranteed European football next season, assuming we don't have a league collapse.

Looking forward to Tuesday night. Should be a good atmosphere and game. I'm sure the last thing dundalk wanted, or needed, was another game, so hopefully this will work in our favour.

But they are still by far the best team in the country, so it's a big ask for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Poor second half from us, let Cork take over completely which was a shame after a decent first half from us.

I don't know why a neutral venue is necessary to make a cup game fair in the event it was to go to extra time? It's the luck of the draw who gets to play at home. If teams were worried about fairness they would demand 2 leg cup games.

They don't do replays in most countries because they know how stupid it is. I guess it is just one of the things we have followed the Brits at.

Brits as you say don't do replays at the semi final stage either anymore, they have the semi finals in a neutral venue and play to a finish

Replays are surely fairer. If they don't do it, it is presumably because they have decided the interests of scheduling and tv trump those of the fairness of seeing a whole other game played out. Ultimately, a peno shoot out is an unfair way to decide a game that has other attributes apart from putting a ball past a keeper from a few yards, it may be the ultimate tiebreaker but try a replay first.

Replays are surely fairer. If they don't do it, it is presumably because they have decided the interests of scheduling and tv trump those of the fairness of seeing a whole other game played out. Ultimately, a peno shoot out is an unfair way to decide a game that has other attributes apart from putting a ball past a keeper from a few yards, it may be the ultimate tiebreaker but try a replay first.

Pens are apart of the game and I don't have a problem with a game being decided via a shootout. I think it makes much more sense for scheduling reasons to get it done in 1 game.

Midweek games are a nightmare for travelling fans. There is also the chance here in Ireland that some players have day jobs and would have to get time off on short notice to travel across the country on a Tuesday to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dundalk's game vs Sligo was moved to Saturday. No idea why the replay is not on Wednesday. I would make Derry favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

When is the replay?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

gimmick wrote: »
    When is the replay?

Tuesday night.

Great comeback for Derry and well deserved. Felt we were the better side throughout and Dundalk were rattled until they got their goal. Then they had the usual time wasting craic of kicking the ball out of play and feigning injuries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

irish_goat wrote: »
    Tuesday night.

Great comeback for Derry and well deserved. Felt we were the better side throughout and Dundalk were rattled until they got their goal. Then they had the usual time wasting craic of kicking the ball out of play and feigning injuries.

Is that you Kenny Shiels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

irish_goat wrote: »
    Tuesday night.

That is the type of whinging usually only heard from Cork fans.

I thought a draw was a fair result. We really should have been out of sight by the hour mark. Great comeback by Derry.

It was terrific to see both teams going for it in injury time, no one was settling for a replay.

On to Tuesday night, looking forward to it. The lads who played against Tel Aviv should be well rested and back in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

That is the type of whinging usually only heard from Cork fans.

You love mentioning Cork at every opportunity don't you? One would think a fan in your position would be riding on the bubble that Dundalk are on at the moment rather than worrying about fans of a team who'v been runners up to them two years in a row. Strange.

Yesterday was a fantastic day out, absolutely battered from it in work today. Sun shining, packed terrace, great atmosphere and a cup semi away win, couldn't ask for more. The only down side is it probably means McGuire is now almost certainly on the radar of numerous English clubs so I expect him to be gone season end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

We didn't follow the Brits. We followed the rest of the world, because most had replays before penalties were introduced. We just didn't follow them again by getting rid of them, except for finals.

The only problem I have with these replays is that they come two days after the original. They should be played Friday/Saturday and then have replays on Monday/Tuesday. Obviously Dundalk's was unavoidable with them playing in Europe, but no reason at all to be playing City v Pats on the Sunday. It prevented either side from refixing a postponed match this midweek, as well.

1-0 Derry

Christ Dundalk can't string two passes together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

justshane wrote: »
    Christ Dundalk can't string two passes together.

Are you at the ground or watching it at home?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Are you at the ground or watching it at home?

Streaming it in NZ, 1-1 now

Hope we get Dawk. Better to face the tired team that we've beaten 3 times this season. A fresher Derry could be trickier.

I think if Derry get to the final they'll win it.

I think it depends which Cork City shows up on the day. The one that has been banging in goals for fun and we'll win. The team thats struggled against Sligo and Bohs recently and we're ****ed.

2-1 Dundalk

• Advertisement
Advertisement