Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup Semi-Finals: Sunday 2nd October, 13:45 & 15:55

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Repeat of last years final, looked like a tight game. Derry fans don't sound too happy at the final whistle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Hope we get Dawk. Better to face the tired team that we've beaten 3 times this season. A fresher Derry could be trickier.

Bring it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'm away for the final. Almost glad as seeing them completebanother double at our expense will be sickening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Two best teams in the country at the moment, should be a super final.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Two best teams in the country at the moment, should be a super final.

Very true. I just hope caulfield goes for it and doesn't be too defensive like he often does. City are a better team now than the final last year and have proven in the league that we are certainly capable of beating them. Tiredness might catch up with Dundalk or they might raise their game as it's a final. Lots to look forward to either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Not ideal for Dundalk to be playing in Russia three days before the cup final but this side have shown time and time again that they are capable of rising to the task at hand. Should be a hell of a game. The double double is on. The greatest season in league of Ireland history could be capped off with a cup final win in the Aviva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Just got a text that one Dundalk bus had all it's windows put in and another burnt out

Nice lads up in Derry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Dundalk poor again tonight and we were the far better side going forward but just unable to come up with decent goal scoring chances. Lucky penalty for their first goal but we only have ourselves to blame for the second by gifting Finn an unmarked header. I said it on Sunday and it was the same again tonight, Dundalk trying every trick in the book to waste time once they took the lead. Ball deliberately kicked away a few times and fake injuries appearing once they took the lead. I've a lot of respect for Kenny but this is something I know he teaches as he did it when he was at Derry too. Ref gave us very little as well. Can't remember the last time I've left the Brandywell feeling this gutted although I never thought we'd have come this far at the start of the season either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

irish_goat wrote: »
    Can't remember the last time I've left the Brandywell feeling this gutted although I never thought we'd have come this far at the start of the season either.

Not as gutted at the Dundalk bus that was destroyed by fire. The other nus had its windows smashed.

The FAI have to look into this. It will be too late after someone is killed.

• Advertisement

Dundalk poor again tonight and we were the far better side going forward but just unable to come up with decent goal scoring chances. Lucky penalty for their first goal but we only have ourselves to blame for the second by gifting Finn an unmarked header. I said it on Sunday and it was the same again tonight, Dundalk trying every trick in the book to waste time once they took the lead. Ball deliberately kicked away a few times and fake injuries appearing once they took the lead. I've a lot of respect for Kenny but this is something I know he teaches as he did it when he was at Derry too. Ref gave us very little as well. Can't remember the last time I've left the Brandywell feeling this gutted although I never thought we'd have come this far at the start of the season either.

You're right, we're just a lucky team. :rolleyes:

gimmick wrote: »
    I'm away for the final. Almost glad as seeing them completebanother double at our expense will be sickening.

Whatever about the league, Cork have to be favourites for the cup.

Two wins over us in the league and Dundalk not arriving back in Ireland until Friday morning from a game in Russia.

Whatever about the league, Cork have to be favourites for the cup.

Two wins over us in the league and Dundalk not arriving back in Ireland until Friday morning from a game in Russia.

I wonder is there any way to push the cup final back a week. Would suit both team's fixture congestion

doncarlos wrote: »
    I wonder is there any way to push the cup final back a week. Would suit both team's fixture congestion

Ireland/Canada egg chasing game on the 12th and another one on the 19th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lest-the-fathers-eat-sour-grapes-By-Lekan-Sote.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Delighted its City v Dundalk again in the final, think City will be well up for this and we are a far better team than last year, has the makings of a great Cup Final.

Of course Id give it all up to win the league but I trhink we missed that opportunity when Dundalk lost those two games so this will have to do.

• Advertisement

There is nothing between Cork and Dundalk this year.

Cork have improved greatly by making some very good signings and being brave enough to realise that they had to change the way they played. Its quite rare that a team pulls that off in such a short period of time.

Dundalk started the season slowly as the void left by Richie Towell took some time to fix. However, they are now back to the same level as last year, or maybe have exceeded it.

Cork will have the advantage of being properly rested coming into the game, Dundalk will have minimal recovery time following their return from Russia on Friday morning.

However, unlike other fixture congestion this season, this one is unavoidable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is nothing between Cork and Dundalk this year.

Cork have improved greatly by making some very good signings and being brave enough to realise that they had to change the way they played. Its quite rare that a team pulls that off in such a short period of time.

Dundalk started the season slowly as the void left by Richie Towell took some time to fix. However, they are now back to the same level as last year, or maybe have exceeded it.

Cork will have the advantage of being properly rested coming into the game, Dundalk will have minimal recovery time following their return from Russia on Friday morning.

However, unlike other fixture congestion this season, this one is unavoidable.

having watched both teams live this year, I can say that Dundalk are on a different level to Cork.

OK so you'll say the stats, results and table position don't lie, but for me Cork are an efficient, hard working and strong football team, whereas Dundalk are one of the slickest and most skillful outfits I've ever watched play football in the LoI.

Of course football is about different styles, but I like to see skillful teams win everytime. I'll be cheering on Dundalk in the final, although we put it up to them last night with a very young team, with some playing out of position too. Again it was a real advert for LoI football, with both teams playing excellent football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

NIMAN wrote: »
    having watched both teams live this year, I can say that Dundalk are on a different level to Cork.

OK so you'll say the stats, results and table position don't lie, but for me Cork are an efficient, hard working and strong football team, whereas Dundalk are one of the slickest and most skillful outfits I've ever watched play football in the LoI.

Of course football is about different styles, but I like to see skillful teams win everytime. I'll be cheering on Dundalk in the final, although we put it up to them last night with a very young team, with some playing out of position too. Again it was a real advert for LoI football, with both teams playing excellent football.

Dundalk are a step above but I would garner you haven't watched much of City this year if you think it's just down to efficient and hard working. If I judged Dundalk on just the games they have played in Cork this season, it wouldn't be as good an impression as they actually in reality are. City have played some great football at times this season, especially at home.

Thats likely fair enough, I can only go on games I seen them play over the last few years at the Brandywell, plus the odd game televised live, and in all those games I seen an efficient, hard working team rather than a skillful and slick outfit.

But hey, thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Dundalk V Cork City is a dream final, two best Teams in Ireland this year by far. This final should be marketed heavily by the FAI but I wont hold my breath, the crowd of over 25,000 at last years final should be exceeded.
    FAI could learn from how the Munster V Leinster game is being promoted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Dundalk V Cork City is a dream final, two best Teams in Ireland this year by far. This final should be marketed heavily by the FAI but I wont hold my breath, the crowd of over 25,000 at last years final should be exceeded.

Problem is, if Dundalk win the league, which they will, a lot of the casual CCFC fans wont be bothered trvaling to Dublin again as the assumption will be they will just beat us again. We had a relatively poor showing last year. Cannot see that being exceeded unless we win the league.

Also, unless CCFC draw Dundalk in the cup at some stage next season, the final will be the same again. The 2 are streets ahead of everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Problem is, if Dundalk win the league, which they will, a lot of the casual CCFC fans wont be bothered trvaling to Dublin again as the assumption will be they will just beat us again. We had a relatively poor showing last year. Cannot see that being exceeded unless we win the league.

Also, unless CCFC draw Dundalk in the cup at some stage next season, the final will be the same again. The 2 are streets ahead of everyone else.
    That's a big prediction, you don't even know what players anyone will have. Derry have improved a lot on last season, same again next year and they'll be well up there. If Cork lose Maguire they'll need to find a goalscorer or they won't be anywhere near.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Disagree. I think the casual ccfc fans will travel as it is a cup final and will see city as a better team now than last year - which we are.
    I think city will have more fans there this year than last year - irrespective of league standings at the end of the year.

Also the idea that we will both be there next year unless drawn against each other is rather condescending to the other teams I think.

Yeah, you are kinda like Real Madrid and Barca in La Liga.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Should be a good final, most likely missing it for the first time in 12 (iirc) years!

Lets hope its a great final and a great advert for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

NIMAN wrote: »
    Lets hope its a great final and a great advert for the league.
    And more importantly, let's hope Dundalk win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Last night leaving the Aviva, the stadium announcer said see you all in March for the next home game. Not even a mention of there being a game there next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

howiya wrote: »
    Last night leaving the Aviva, the stadium announcer said see you all in March for the next home game. Not even a mention of there being a game there next month

Which will undoubtedly be a far better game at just a tenner compared to the sh*te on display last night that cost €50+.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Which will undoubtedly be a far better game at just a tenner compared to the sh*te on display last night that cost €50+.

Very true. City would have given irl a game last night. The way Dundalk are playing they might have beaten them. Nearly fell asleep watching that turgid performance.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    And more importantly, let's hope Dundalk win.

May the best team win.;)

Advertisement