Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BodPod Body Fat Percentage

• 01-10-2016 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭

Had my body fat percentage measured in a BodPod.

Weight.........70.4kg
    Sex.............Male
    Height.........177cm
    BMI.............22.5
    Body Fat.......12.2%
    Fat Mass........8.57kg
    Fat Free Mass..61.83kg

However I still have a fair bit of fat around the belly and fat around the hips etc.

Assuming I didn't gain any muscle (and thereby increase the fat free mass), assuming the figures were correct in order to get to 10% body fat I would weigh 68.7kg. Which is less than 2kg to lose.

I find it hard to believe that's all I need to lose to get to single digits.

Lets say it reported under by about three percent and my actual Fat Free Mass is actually 60kg then I would need to get to 66kg (a 4.5kg loss, assuming no muscle gain, which seems more believable).

However that weight is quite low, so I am hoping to add muscle mass.

Although doing this whilst also cutting may be difficult, however I am a beginner.

Do many of you measure you body fat or just go by how you feel in clothes and look in the mirror?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Those pods aren't exactly accurate. Look into getting a Dexa scan if you want more accurate numbers. End of the day it's only a number and it doesn't matter if you're 10 or 12 as long as you're happy with what you see in the mirror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

I could be interested in getting a dexa scan.

I would have to be referred by a doctor though?

I have broken bones in the past however; so maybe that would be a valid reason to check the bone density in that area too.

I suppose I am being a bit of a data nerd with this.

Its about how you feel at the end of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Lucashood2016

No, you can book one but its costs around 100 euro

Where can you book one Lucashood2016?

What's your waist measurement around your belly button in a relaxed state

• Advertisement

I don't know about the waist measurement. Ill buy a tape as I was thinking of measuring that.

My jeans are falling off me anyway.

Any hospital or clinic should have one, tell them you want it for bodyfat analysis and not bone density

Your definitely under weight for your height so I think you should eat at maintenance and focus on the compounds 2300 calories and of that 130g of protein should be plenty for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Any hospital or clinic should have one, tell them you want it for bodyfat analysis and not bone density

I'd say very very few hospitals would have dexa machines. There's one in dcu but I don't know if it's open to the public. There's one in athlone, not sure where. There's one in Waterford but they don't use it for bodyfat analysis

I read research that states one should have more protein than usual if you are training to decrease body fat. Up to 2.9gram per kg of Fat Free mass (say 60 FFM x 2.9 = 174g)

But yes I am trying to increase the compound lifts and am doing so slowly recently.

I see there is one in Drogheda. Some in the hospitals and private clinics in Dublin but referral required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You're over-thinking it.

If your diet is on track then get training and working hard. You don't need to worry about bodyfat percentages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why do you think the numbers are off? Nobody can really say without knowing what you look like. Is imagine somebody could be 10% BF but not look it it due to low muscle mass.
    Afaik, bod pod is based on some assumptions about density, which leads to a bit of variance

Regardless, whether the 12% is accurate makes no difference to how you actually look.

Didn't think I would still have so much fat left at this weight.

Just got to keep going and increase strength, and all will be well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Where did you get your Bodpod test done? How much was it?

Advertisement