Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD Annual Leave

• 01-10-2016 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hello, I've just finished my undergrad and will be starting my PhD soon. Just wondering how many days are you entitled to? The standard 20? Thank you. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Aim for 20 days if you can, but it tends to depend on your supervisor. My supevisors insisted I take a two week block at least once a year and didn't mind me taking time off once it didn't seem unreasonable. Most supervisors are ok with reasonable time off (any supervisor who isn't is unreasonable) but there's not usually a documented annual leave system.
    Keep track of your own leave, and do insist on taking time off. Most supervisors won't insist you take time off either, i know ppl who would have taken much much less than 20days/year :-/

Best of luck with the PhD.

Advertisement