Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Putting new rad on very old system

• 01-10-2016 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭

Looking for some advice! We moved into a house end of last year and the heating system is a very old gas oil boiler with old rads and pipes! Got a quote for new boiler pipes and rads of around 10- 12 k changing to gas, which we will do in around a year or so! However at the moment the rad in our bedroom seems knackered it's freezing at the bottom and barely lukewarm at the top! I've bled it a few times and plenty of air always comes out! When the heating comes on you can hear water filling into the rad! We were thinking of replacing the rad untill we can get the big job done! Is this a good idea or is the system too old to start putting a new rad on?? The house was built in the 60's and I'd say the heating hasn't been upgraded in a long long time! I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Jen44 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice! We moved into a house end of last year and the heating system is a very old gas oil boiler with old rads and pipes! Got a quote for new boiler pipes and rads of around 10- 12 k changing to gas, which we will do in around a year or so! However at the moment the rad in our bedroom seems knackered it's freezing at the bottom and barely lukewarm at the top! I've bled it a few times and plenty of air always comes out! When the heating comes on you can hear water filling into the rad! We were thinking of replacing the rad untill we can get the big job done! Is this a good idea or is the system too old to start putting a new rad on?? The house was built in the 60's and I'd say the heating hasn't been upgraded in a long long time! I

Have you tried bleeding the rad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

Yea I've bled it lots and air does come out but it remains cold at the bottom and Luke warm at the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Yea I've bled it lots and air does come out but it remains cold at the bottom and Luke warm at the top

Your rad is blocked with sludge
    2 options power flush or replace
    It all depends on how long it is till your replacing the lot
    Power flush will cost in the region of €400-€500 depending on system size
    Replacement rad cost would be in the region of €150-€200 again depending on size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Your rad is blocked with sludge
    2 options power flush or replace
    It all depends on how long it is till your replacing the lot
    Power flush will cost in the region of €400-€500 depending on system size
    Replacement rad cost would be in the region of €150-€200 again depending on size

Would the other rads not also be full of sludge and hence abpowe flush would be the most cust effective option as it deals with all the rads.

ted1 wrote: »
    Would the other rads not also be full of sludge and hence abpowe flush would be the most cust effective option as it deals with all the rads.

If one rad is effected more than likely so will the others to some extent
    You said you were getting a new system in so I would think that includes rads at the price you stated
    So depending on how long that will be till you replace heating system if it's soon I'd leave as is if it's going to be a while I would power flush as cost for flush is in the region of €400-€500 depending on size of system

• Advertisement

The guy who quoted me for the new system said no way would he flush it he said the system is full of sludge and corrosion on pipes etc so if he flushed it it would prob cause a lot of leaks that the sludge is actually covering up! That's why I was thinking to just replace that rad as we will be getting the new system in a year or so! But if the system is so old and full of sludge is it best not to put a new rad on?

The guy who quoted me for the new system said no way would he flush it he said the system is full of sludge and corrosion on pipes etc so if he flushed it it would prob coz a lot of leaks that the sludge is actually covering up! That's why I was think to just replace that rad as we will be getting the new system in a year or so! But if the system is so old and full of sludge is it best not to put a new rad on?

If you just put a new rad on there's a possibility it will get effected by the sludge also but it could take months or even years before it causes a dramatic effect on the new rad.
    Unless the pipe work in a the house is gun Barrell there is no reason it can't be power flushed

im not sure what gun barrell is but i know they look like big old metal pipes and i was told they would all have to be replaced

im not sure what gun barrell is but i know they look like big old metal pipes and i was told they would all have to be replaced

That sounds like gun Barrell
    Best to replace pipe work
    Change rad as a temporary measure it will keep you going till replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Can't they just take off the rad and power wash it? I know I've done that before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement