Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to pay to play someone's piano. Can anyone help me out?

Options
  • 01-10-2016 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Ok so this might seem like an unusual request but let me explain the situation.
    I began piano a number of years ago but sadly had to give it up when we moved house recently.
    The acoustic piano that I have in my house is neither very good and is next to the party wall of the semi detached house I live in; as you know acoustic pianos are quite loud and thus my situation is not ideal.
    I could buy a digital piano but it is not the best way to learn(I am still a beginner of sorts) and I cannot move the acoustic piano I have (even if I could it still has a horrible sound as I said)

I live in the Knocknacarra, on the west side of Galway city. What I would like to do is pay to play someone else's piano, in a quiet house, or perhaps during a section of the day when you are working (I know this sounds dodgy but it is difficult to play around people and the sounds of practice are often not pleasant, my family tell me)
    I would pay both to rent the piano and for any work that needs done to it (e.g. tuning, repairs etc.) throughout the time I am using it.

I am a university student in NUIG and I am from Galway living with my family in Knocknacarra. As I said earlier on I had to give up playing in the last number of years and I really do miss it a lot quite a lot. Really all I am looking for is a quiet space to practice on a piano I wouldn't ordinarily have access to for an hour or two a day.
    It does sound like a strange arrangement but if you are interested I would of course make sure you were entirely comfortable with me before moving forward. I would provide identification and you could get to know me before any sort of arrangement was made.
    If this sounds like it might even slightly interest you or you have any questions send me a message and I will be sure to answer you.
    Anyway thanks for reading this far. You would be really helping me out as I have tried to find some sort of a solution for quite a while and at the moment it looks hopeless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

There are two or three pianos in Aras na MacLeinn in NUIG (beside the college bar) which you can use. Just ask at the SocsBox reception when there would be a free slot and you can book yourself in for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Isn't it sad that Galway NUIG does not have a school of music. Students gifted in this way have to trek to Dublin or elsewhere to follow their career. Given Galway's arty hinterland this is particularly disappointing. Do I sometimes see people playing the piano in the Galway Clinic and how relaxing that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Buy a digital piano with weighted keys....i would suggest you take a look at Kawais or the Roland RD series...and a decent set of headphones!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 iron!giant

Ficheall wrote: »
    There are two or three pianos in Aras na MacLeinn in NUIG (beside the college bar) which you can use. Just ask at the SocsBox reception when there would be a free slot and you can book yourself in for free.

I do know about these but in a college with thousands of students and a hundred societies its impossible to get regular practice. Also they are all digital and one of them is broken at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

With the amount you would spend on regular practice on someone elses piano, as another poster said buy a good digital piano.

You can get a medium priced one for around 400 and there is probably a decent second hand market for them to get them cheaper.
    I have a casio cdp 130 and its ok.
    https://www.thomann.de/ie/casio_cdp_130_bk.htm

Alternatively you could find a piano teacher and request that you just need access to the piano and can teach yourself. They can possibly schedule you at a time when they dont normally have pupils.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

iron!giant wrote: »
    I do know about these but in a college with thousands of students and a hundred societies its impossible to get regular practice. Also they are all digital and one of them is broken at the moment

Are you sure?

They definitely had a few good acoustic upright pianos and you could book a weekly slot.

More info;
    http://www.socs.nuigalway.ie/news_reviews/view/631/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe there is something here you can purchase
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_piano/county-Galway/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

There's one in the chapel in NUIG that people tend to pop in and play whenever they want.

Advertisement