Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable stylish buggy??

Options
  • 01-10-2016 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Looking for an affordable but stylish 3in1 travel system. I really like the silvercross wayfarer buggy but for the whole lot it costs around €800 which is a bit pricey? Anyone know of anything similar or other good stylish buggys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

I saw this Chicco one on the eurobaby website on sale. https://eurobaby.com/chicco-urban-plus-travel-system-package-anthracite/ Also there in other colours. Seems to have decent reviews online. I thought it looked like a good price considering it includes the car seat too. I dont have any experience of it myself though as only on my first pregnancy and yet to buy a pram!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have a look on kiddicare.com and Amazon ,you may find prices alot lower .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

A tip more then anything.
    Mamas and papas do new parent evenings with big discounts. For instance you get €200 off a €1000 spend. A lot of their buggies are around the €1000 price range. €500 gets you €75 off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Sign up for all the baby store newsletters too-Mamas&Papas, Mothercare, Boots, Eurobaby, Tony Kealys-and others you can, will end up being a god send for all things baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

You could always look into the baby elegance package which includes a buggy, might be a very economical way to get everything...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

You could also keep an eye out for second hand ones on adverts, done deal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 marylennon86

greenttc wrote: »
    You could always look into the baby elegance package which includes a buggy, might be a very economical way to get everything...

I read that they wheels are meant to be terrible quality and the buggy is meant to be very uncomfortable and small 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

greenttc wrote: »

We got this for our first! Best thing we ever did got a lovely cotbed and everything with the package! Im so glad we didnt spend a fortune on a travel system ours is the baby elegance beep twist. The expensive travel systems are not worth the money! You will end up going and buying a light umbrella fold up buggy for when the baby is close to one! The two separate parts on the travel system buggy's are a pain when you want to run into the shop etc. Most of the car seats that come as part of those packages are new born only too so you need to go and buy a second one when the baby is around the ten months! I did love the pram part!! If i had my time over knowing what i know now i would have just bought a pram, a fold up lightweight buggy and a car seat the lasts from birth up to four.

Jen44 wrote: »
    We got this for our first! Best thing we ever did got a lovely cotbed and everything with the package! Im so glad we didnt spend a fortune on a travel system ours is the baby elegance beep twist. The expensive travel systems are not worth the money! You will end up going and buying a light umbrella fold up buggy for when the baby is close to one! The two separate parts on the travel system buggy's are a pain when you want to run into the shop etc. Most of the car seats that come as part of those packages are new born only too so you need to go and buy a second one when the baby is around the ten months! I did love the pram part!! If i had my time over knowing what i know now i would have just bought a pram, a fold up lightweight buggy and a car seat the lasts from birth up to four.

I bought an expensive travel system and think it was worth every penny! Having 2 parts is a minor inconvenience but it's very comfortable and will do us for years. He's in it for at least an hour every day for walks etc so I wanted it to be comfortable. I know it's each to their own and everyone gets what suits them but I feel so sorry when I see babies / toddlers being rattled along in buggys with hard plastic wheels. I have friends who bought fold up strollers thinking they'd be handy but they went back to their proper buggy after a short while. Having the car seat that can attach to the buggy is handy when the baby is small so you don't have to wake them to move them to the pram / buggy when running into the shop etc.

I did a load of research before getting ours and it does seem to be a topic with 2 sides, 1 who thinks travel systems are the best thing ever and the other who think they're awful. You really need to talk to people (I'll admit to stopping people in the street asking them about their buggys!!!) and try as many as you can in shops. Also try whatever one you're considering in the boot of your car as I've a friend who had to change her choice because of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It depends what you need really - if you use public transport a lot then a simpler buggy that folds easily is essential (Baby Jogger City Mini, Bugaboo Bee, umbrella strollers etc). Likewise if you're in an apartment and don't have a lot of space for buggy storage. Travel systems are fine if you drive everywhere and have the boot space for them etc.

I'm in London and need to be able to take my kid on the tube (with stairs in most stations to get down to the platforms) on my own reasonably regularly, I have a Baby Jogger City Mini for day to day use, a BOB Ironman for running and a Manduca for when I can't be arsed with the buggy - that pretty much includes any trip into zone 1! Travel systems are not for us at all, the car seat never leaves the car (our 6 month old hates it anyway) and hauling two pieces up the stairs to a first floor apartment is not pleasant.

• Advertisement

I don't use public transport at all but also don't drive, I walk everywhere I go so I need something with good strong wheels. But also need a car seat for my partners mothers car. I don't mind spending good money on a good travel system, but of course would like to see if there is any cheaper options before handing out €800+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

I'm with cakerbaker on this, though everything rainbow said above makes perfect sense-it does depend on circumstance.

We got the Uppababy Vista with Maxi Cosi Car set+base all in for 1200. It is huge money but has been a god send. It is so sturdy and can be brought everywhere(but it does have wide back wheels so can be a pain at times). The main selling point was that it was very easily converted into a double-which thank **** we considered as I'm now 4 months pregnant with an 8 month old! You can also clip on the buggy boards when they are bigger.
    Huge shopping basket underneath so no need for trolley in supermarket-always good.
    When bubs was tiny being able to just clip on the car seat was a dream.
    We researched the life out of it before we bought it and looked at basically all others on the market and thought this the best.
    RE the Beep, Twist-I was very tempted by the price but if you research it, reviews are bad.

I have a cheap stroller too and it shakes the crap out of him, I'd only use it if going into town when guaranteed it won't rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I just bought s second hand buggy, it's in great condition and it was less than half the price of new

I don't use public transport at all but also don't drive, I walk everywhere I go so I need something with good strong wheels. But also need a car seat for my partners mothers car. I don't mind spending good money on a good travel system, but of course would like to see if there is any cheaper options before handing out €800+

Have you looked at the Out and About Nipper. Now I personally don't think it's the prettiest buggy out there but I've pushed my friends kids in theirs and it's very comfortable and easy to manoeuvre. Would definitely be one to consider for lots of walking.

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I just bought s second hand buggy, it's in great condition and it was less than half the price of new

That's what I'm thinking about doing, buying a second hand silver cross wayfarer

Has anyone bought the Silver Cross Wayfarer or Pioneer and have any reviews? I think they're gorgeous and seriously considering buying one

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I did a lot of research on both of these and went for the pioneer in the end, havent used it yet but had multiple demonstrations in the shop. the wayfarer has actually gotten so many bad reviews about different problems and the wheels are not great particularly if you are on anything rougher than a completely smooth footpath. It seems that it is also not great for going up and down curbs. when I compared the two in the shop it was very obvious to me that the pioneer was the better of the two (it is more expensive too so i suppose that makes sense). Realloy you will have to go to the shop and see them both side by side and have a go using each of them, when I did that I was able to make my mind up fairly quickly. I had also considered the uppababy vista but the reasons I went for the pioneer over it were that the uppababy vista was heavier, wider base, has a foam handle which would be covered in makeup and get picked off with my nails and lastly it did not have a bar at the back connecting the two back wheels this meant that when going up curbs I would not be able to put my foot on a bar to leverage the buggy up over a curb if that makes sense. I am not sure if the wayfarer has this but the pioneer definitley does.

everyone is totally different though so while you can read all these reviews and consider each point you read about you will be your own best judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

That's what I'm thinking about doing, buying a second hand silver cross wayfarer

Check all the websites (adverts done deal buy and sell etc). Mine was only advertised on one, and it was spelled wrong so it didn't come up in a Search! But it's like new and I am thrilled

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Every new parents seems to buy a massive 1k travel system. Second buggy they buy is one for 40 euro that is light and can be popped up/down with one hand. Those 3-1 systems are imo next to useless. Far better off, and a million times cheaper, getting a good seat and a light and easy to use buggy.

Wouldn't buy a car seat second hand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

We bought the Baby Elegance beep twist and found it grand. The wheels weren't the greatest so probably not good for you if you'll be walking everywhere.
    We both drive and also use a baby sling alot so splashing out on an expensive system didn't make sense to us.

When baby was 9 months old we got a maclaren stroller for holidays and have been using that ever since.
    And now we are expecting again in March/April so we have to get a double system.
    At the end of the day, I'm really glad we didn't fork out a huge amount on the initial travel system.
    If you are planning on having 2 babies close together definitely worth considering something that can convert into a double.
    Definitely look on donedeal/adverts too, good deals to be had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 pricklefingers

I'm the same as Sullivk, had beep twist travel system and loved it. Also had a maclaren for out and about.
    Baby 2 due in less than 4 weeks so have bought a second hand (but practically new) city jogger twin, and invested in new colour pack for beep twist.
    Can nearly open my own buggy shop at this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Picking up our buggy later today - Venicci All in One seat and carrycot. It was 644 on sale with the car seat adapters. We liked it because it was easy to manoeuvre with suspension on the wheels and felt lighter than other travel systems for putting away etc...Will be in better position to give feedback once we're using it I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Have a look on kiddicare.com and Amazon ,you may find prices alot lower .

This ^^^^

I recently bought a buggy from a third party seller on Amazon for almost €200 cheaper than what I could get it here in Ireland. This included delivery. I had a good look at it in a shop here and took my friends one for a good test drive before ordering.

The sterling conversion is good at the moment! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I'm the same as Sullivk, had beep twist travel system and loved it. Also had a maclaren for out and about.
    Baby 2 due in less than 4 weeks so have bought a second hand (but practically new) city jogger twin, and invested in new colour pack for beep twist.
    Can nearly open my own buggy shop at this rate!

how did you get on with the new colour pack? Is it easy enough to put it all on, thinking of freshening up my beep twist

Has anyone heard of or bought the mini uno stride pram package in smyths? Saw it yesterday and it's gorgeous, €429

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pricklefingers

Jen44 wrote: »
    how did you get on with the new colour pack? Is it easy enough to put it all on, thinking of freshening up my beep twist

Was handy enough to do and looks like a brand new pram now!
    Previously had the denim but changed for the new grey colour.. Absolutely love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Every new parents seems to buy a massive 1k travel system. Second buggy they buy is one for 40 euro that is light and can be popped up/down with one hand. Those 3-1 systems are imo next to useless. Far better off, and a million times cheaper, getting a good seat and a light and easy to use buggy.

Wouldn't buy a car seat second hand though.
    I cursed my expensive travel system plenty of times taking it out of the car boot and navigating around shops. Then the tyre was flat once on it and I took a stroller for the walk around the woods. I barely made it home I was so tired after walking 4km. Better bigger travel system was miles better on more rugged terrain for daily walks and stroller was handy in town. That being said neither of the kids spent much time in them after they were two, maybe two and a half and because there is three years between them I didn't need anything else.

I would probably not go with the same travel system again but I would still get one. And I would also buy a stroller. It depends where you live and where you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    You could also keep an eye out for second hand ones on adverts, done deal etc.

I second this! For my first I was dead set against second hand and wanted everything new! So silly in hindsight when I've seen bugaboo travel systems in perfect condition with the maxi cosi seats and isofix all included for €600 etc on adverts. The oyster system I have is in great condition and will be fine to use again but if I could do it over I wouldn't have turned my nose up at second hand sets. Do remember it may be best to buy your car seat (if needed) new as you never know if they've been dropped or taken a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Out and About Nipper. Now I personally don't think it's the prettiest buggy out there but I've pushed my friends kids in theirs and it's very comfortable and easy to manoeuvre. Would definitely be one to consider for lots of walking.

We bought a Bugaboo initially. I bought a nipper a year later to run with.... it is now the main buggy that we use.. it is comfortable, light and easy to wheel and folds into one piece.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

mloc123 wrote: »
    We bought a Bugaboo initially. I bought a nipper a year later to run with.... it is now the main buggy that we use.. it is comfortable, light and easy to wheel and folds into one piece.

Nipper for us, bought 6 years ago, been through 2 kids and it's good as new. Honestly, I think it's the best on the market. It's the only buggy we ever needed, I bought one for my mum, and had the double for a while when my kids were close in age.

The newer model allows a maxicosi to clip on top.

Light, foldable, fits in a small car. Goes from flat for newborn to ....? (my almost 6 year old still hops in if we're on a long walk and she's zonked)

Good for running, big inflatable wheels for walks on the beach or in the woods. Loads of room of putting shopping bags in, lots of pockets. Can completely turn around on itself in a small space. Very handy for city / public transport / airports etc.

The only quibble I'd have with it, is that the rain cover tears easily and is not easy to repair. But that seems to be across the board with rain covers. I may have to design my own. :)

Advertisement