Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo/Indoor trainer

Options
  • 02-10-2016 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭

With a limited budget, €180 tops what is the best value one I can get? It seems the smart ones are well out of reach for me.
    Is there much difference between a €60 and, €200 one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Unfortunately you're buying at the peak season for turbo trainers.

If I were you I'd pick up a cheap dumb/normal turbo second hand and then look into smart trainers etc next spring/summer when they're heavily discounted.

To answer your question the difference in the price range you've suggested would be along the lines of
    • Sound
      cheaper turbos tend to be a lot noisier. I have no experience with them but apparently the fluid is very quiet
    • Resistance level
      Some turbos will have an adjustable resistance level handlebar mounted and other will adjust resistance based on inertia.
    • resistance type (fluid/magnetic)
      As above fluid tend to be quieter but do not have manually adjustable resistance afaik. Cheaper magnetic turbos would have less resistance but generally more then enough for the average cyclist.
    • build quality
      some are easier to fold and store away and give a more secure feel when the bike is clamped in

Also if you're buying in the off season your budget range could be the difference between a dumb trainer and a budget smart trainer such as the tacx satori/flow smart. I know from personal experience the flow could be gotten for €159 during the summer

To summarize unless your're spending €1000+ the difference is negligible and you'd have to consider how much use it will get. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The Tacx Satori Smart can be got for 199 from Halford now which I could stretch too as it has some sort of smart capability.

Ideal a top end direct drive is what I'd like but not realistic. The Jet Black Whisper one looks one to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I decided to buy a turbo trainer 2 weeks ago, I did a search on the local buy and sells on Facebook and one came up on first buy and sell search I tried.

Was on sale in Feb of this year , a few tags but nothing els . so I sent a message and low and behold it was still for sale.

Bought for 50 which included front mount .

I've done two training sessions on it and find it good .

Anyway maybe do as I did and search buy and sells .

dahat wrote: »
    The Tacx Satori Smart can be got for 199 from Halford now which I could stretch too as it has some sort of smart capability.

Ideal a top end direct drive is what I'd like but not realistic. The Jet Black Whisper one looks one to consider.

Just watch which jet black you buy as some are only compatible with their software.

I think the general opinion is the neo is the one to go for and during the off times it can be got for around €1k

The satori would be a good compromise and if you know someone with an axa card you'll get another 10% off

Tacx Flow T2240 Smart Turbo

Any user reviews on this? Nearly set on the Satori till I saw this in Halfords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What else would you need for these turbo trainers to get the most out of them?

I have one I got from Halfords last year - an Elite Voltaire one for a discounted price of about €50.
    I have never used it too much but thinking of making more of an effort for the winter.

I have bought a Garmin cadence and speed sensor as I think this will give me a bit more data about the sessions. I can connect it to my Forerunner 230 which I presume should link fine.

I have a fairly worn back tyre on my bike which I could continue to use until the spring when I could put on a new tyre.
    I suppose one could buy a spare wheel and put a turbo tyre on it.

Is there anything else needed?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

get an ANT+ usb bridge and try out trainer road, it is $12 pm however.

diarmaidol wrote: »
    get an ANT+ usb bridge and try out trainer road, it is $12 pm however.

This work with the Satori?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

I assume it would, it's nice to get power (I assume based on resistance curve and speed) straight from the trainer, Trainer road does the same but you are obviously paying the sub.

I'm currently on my third in as many months :rolleyes:

1st - The plastic moulding broke causing something to work loose and rub

2nd - Electromagnet fault and would no longer connect via ant+ or bluetooth

3rd - Still in the box so technically working perfectly :D

In all seriousness when working they're a good trainer I use mine with Zwift and it does help with the boredom a lot.

Pick up a USB extension lead and an ant+ receiver on amazon for about €15 and away you go.

• Advertisement

Is there anything else needed?

Thanks

A fan is a nice touch if you're planning long sessions.

Also bluetooth headphones if you want to dual screen and watch a movie or similar.

I see a few people mention Zwift. What does it offer that Garmin Connect wouldn't?

I am thinking I might need to get a spare rear wheel with a turbo tyre after reading a bit online.

To be honest I am not sure how much I will use it. I'd hope to do a few duathlons in the new year so I guess it could be handy for hard 30 min sessions or maybe loosening out the legs the day after a hard run.

What set up do other people use?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    A fan is a nice touch if you're planning long sessions.

Also bluetooth headphones if you want to dual screen and watch a movie or similar.

Cheers. Don't think I will need a fan as I will set it up in an outdoor garage area. It should be plenty cool.

I have aero bars and must stick them on.

I think if I can track the sessions it would give me a bit more motivation especially if I have a target race ahead.

I'm currently on my third in as many months :rolleyes:

1st - The plastic moulding broke causing something to work loose and rub

2nd - Electromagnet fault and would no longer connect via ant+ or bluetooth

3rd - Still in the box so technically working perfectly :D

In all seriousness when working they're a good trainer I use mine with Zwift and it does help with the boredom a lot.

Pick up a USB extension lead and an ant+ receiver on amazon for about €15 and away you go.

This model seems to give a better feel than the Satori by all accounts, yeah?
    Worth the extra over the Satori model?

This model seems to give a better feel than the Satori by all accounts, yeah?
    Worth the extra over the Satori model?

No experience of the satori and to be honest I'm not sure how much road feel you could expect on a precariously mounted bike indoors :)

No experience of the satori and to be honest I'm not sure how much road feel you could expect on a precariously mounted bike indoors :)

This is true, it's two/three sessions tops a week so best not over complicate the purchase and stay as near to budget as possible really. I can get the 10% discount to bring it to €180 from Halfords plus get a decent feed from Eddie Rockets nearby while I'm there!

I see a few people mention Zwift. What does it offer that Garmin Connect wouldn't?

I am thinking I might need to get a spare rear wheel with a turbo tyre after reading a bit online.

To be honest I am not sure how much I will use it. I'd hope to do a few duathlons in the new year so I guess it could be handy for hard 30 min sessions or maybe loosening out the legs the day after a hard run.

What set up do other people use?

Zwift is great if you have a smart trainer. It will basically replicate the gradient on the route you're cycling aswell as replicating aero benefits when wheel sucking. It certainly isn't 100% perfect but a great way of relieving the boredom on a turbo. They also have group rides and races arranged with riders all over the globe along with some pros.

Basically a computer game for the grown ups. I'm not sure it would be as enjoyable on a non smart trainer

Garmin connect is and different thing it basically records your sensor data and you have to follow/build your own drills. Loads of clips on youtube.

Trainer road is another very good tool but a bit more advanced than I'd need so Ive no real experience with it

This is true, it's two/three sessions tops a week so best not over complicate the purchase and stay as near to budget as possible really. I can get the 10% discount to bring it to €180 from Halfords plus get a decent feed from Eddie Rockets nearby while I'm there!

It might be worth investing in a turbo tyre with the few quid saved (I'd be all over Eddies btw) I used to use old tyres but since getting a turbo specific one I find the resistance is more constant I'm putting it down to a normal tyre expanding and becoming sticky with the heat,

It might be worth investing in a turbo tyre with the few quid saved (I'd be all over Eddies btw) I used to use old tyres but since getting a turbo specific one I find the resistance is more constant I'm putting it down to a normal tyre expanding and becoming sticky with the heat,

Very helpful tip, seeing as I have a wheel specifically for the turbo I may as well match a tyre to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

If u are looking for one on a budget I would see if there is any of the Aldi Fluid Turbo Trainers left. It is 90. I got one and have used it twice and it is grand, not too much sound comes out of it (the wife is in the sitting room watching tv and I am in the kitchen with a light door in-between and it does not annoy her), I got this to see if I would use it and as other people said I will keep my eye out for a smart one in the summer.

https://www.aldi.ie/p/72257/0

• Advertisement

I have done a couple of 30 min sessions on the turbo.

I have a garmin 230 watch. I put on the garmin speed and cadence sensors and the watch is giving me these readings and also distance.

Couple of questions
    Does the speed sensor not need to be calibrated for the wheel size?

Also I was hoping the watch would record the bike turbo session in km but it won't allow me to change just the bike activity to km. It seems you have to change all activities to either km or miles.
    Is it only the triathlon watches that give this option?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Have had one for the last number of years, possibly slightly earlier model, connected to a PC and screen for VR training. Over that period of time, the brake has burnt out and been replaced once, similarly one of the tabs for locking the wheel in place. That's for 45-60 min sessions 3-4 times a week over the winter, so not bad but not great. I find the virtual reality training racing against virtual opponents to be quite fun and would probably struggle to stay motivated without it.

smacl wrote: »
    Have had one for the last number of years, possibly slightly earlier model, connected to a PC and screen for VR training. Over that period of time, the brake has burnt out and been replaced once, similarly one of the tabs for locking the wheel in place. That's for 45-60 min sessions 3-4 times a week over the winter, so not bad but not great. I find the virtual reality training racing against virtual opponents to be quite fun and would probably struggle to stay motivated without it.

Proably going the trainer road route rather than Zwift, racing lads in screen seems odd. The coaching aspect of trainer road appeals to me as I'm looking for structure atm.

Hopefully the unit holds up as I had to do a lot of convincing with the Mrs to get it after two new bikes this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Proably going the trainer road route rather than Zwift, racing lads in screen seems odd. The coaching aspect of trainer road appeals to me as I'm looking for structure atm.

Hopefully the unit holds up as I had to do a lot of convincing with the Mrs to get it after two new bikes this year.

Best of luck with it. If you've the space and kit, I find leaving it permanently set-up makes sense, as it makes short sessions more viable. Having a bucket with mop nearby also makes sense as the sweat you generate is unreal. I wouldn't get too worried about breaks as Tacx spares are easy enough to pick up on ebay.

smacl wrote: »
    Best of luck with it. If you've the space and kit, I find leaving it permanently set-up makes sense, as it makes short sessions more viable. Having a bucket with mop nearby also makes sense as the sweat you generate is unreal. I wouldn't get too worried about breaks as Tacx spares are easy enough to pick up on ebay.

Bar using a shed outside I can't leave it set up permanently which is a pity really. As I will be using a different wheel for it setting it up will be a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Just watch which jet black you buy as some are only compatible with their software.

I think the general opinion is the neo is the one to go for and during the off times it can be got for around €1k

The satori would be a good compromise and if you know someone with an axa card you'll get another 10% off

Over the years I've had fluid trainers, a computrainer, a Kickr and a neo.

Neo the best by far.
    Then the computrainer.
    Didn't rate the Kickr at all. Kickr2 is meant to be worse

Advertisement