Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Support jobs in Canada

Options
  • 02-10-2016 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I am going to Canada in November on Working Holiday visa. Is it hard to find a job for IT Support in Canada ? It could be anywhere in Canada, no preference for location.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Hi, Have you arrived? There seems to be a shortage of IT staff all over the world, so I'm of the opinion that you should choose where you'd like to live, then likely you'll be able to get a job there.
    Obviously in Canada, the vast majority of the population is in Toronto and thus the most number of available jobs will be there. Likely followed by Vancouver / Montreal, then maybe Ottawa / Edmonton / Calgary / Halifax. I heard this morning about how there will be a renewed push to encourage IT workers in the USA who may not be happy with Trump to return or move to Canada. A shortage of 10,000 IT staff in Ottawa between now and 2020 was mentioned as an example.

Some issues that I encountered in my job search were:

Lack of knowledge on the work-permit / visa status. Be ready to address any concern they have. I believe that the WHV is now two years so I think that many employers will be happy with that. Tell them that you will be able to extend / renew / or you'll get PR, basically don't let any doubt over your current or future eligibility to work in Canada be an issue. If you are expecting to get help from them with regard to getting future work permits / LMO, then you will need to be worth the effort to them, especially if it's a smaller company or one that has not much experience of the process.

Lack of North American work-experience or education may also be an issue. Many employers will feel more comfortable / confident in seeing NA exp. and / or edu. Be ready to talk up your exp. and edu. and alleviate any concerns they may have. Having worked with foreign / major clients might help with this.

A recommendation will be the biggest possible help that you can get. If someone that the interviewer knows and trusts has recommended you, then the job is yours to lose! It's obviously difficult for a new-comer to have much or any such contacts, so networking will be needed, and will be a constant throughout your career if you continue to change jobs or just want to have the option. One way to network is to look for IT Meetup groups in your area. These events are also good to keep up-to-date with the lastest trends and get free training.

I would recommend checking out this website - http://www.techvibes.com/toronto

I just applied to start up companies (which there are plenty of in Toronto anyway)

It took me a couple of interviews to get used to the scenario here, I also hadn't had to interview for 4 years so was rusty.

Then I got offered two jobs. I work for a really cool company with loads of benefits, great culture, great professional and personal development.

I dont think I will ever not work in a startup again! (I say that now)

Good luck!

Advertisement