Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So stressed in work - advice??

Options
  • 02-10-2016 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Bullying in work by an admin staff colleague which my boss witnessed and allowed to continue. Going through informal process now - Union gave advice and stated it was absolutely bullying. However bullying is still going on. I'm 50 with two teenagers - so feel I can't quit, but can't sleep, my blood pressure is up, and my thyroid is going underachieve again despite being stable on the same thyroid medication for the last 5 years. I also can't sleep, and feel anxious all the time. I can't give up without another job, but at 50 that is difficult. My Endocrinologist and GP are saying they will write letters to my employer asking for me to go part-time for health reasons. This would mean a drop in income, but I do have another qualification which would get me some part-time work - though wouldn't be a full-time income. Would welcome some advice - should I keep trying to go through the informal process, then the formal process, or should I go part-time and at least I wouldn't be facing the stress five days a week - would be three days - I find two days at the weekend is not enough time to recover from five very stressful days at work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Follow medical advice.

Keep going through the process, even if you go part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Why isn't your boss helping? Have you made them aware of how you feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the bullying is ongoing and has been witnessed I'd be skipping the informal process, which obviously isn't working, and start formal to get it stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

If the bullying is ongoing and the bully is aware of your concerns and has not responded immediately to the initiation of informal approach, then it is time to initiate the formal process. In the situation where bullying in unintentional or simply a poor habit it usually stops when the person is called on it. If they don't cease immediately then more direct and formal action is required

Take care of your health, it is the most important thing in this situation.

If your health is being directly and negatively impacted by the bullying, then you should consider taking some time to recover and gain your strength back, would your clinical support sign you off on the grounds of ill health due to stress? Could you afford to be out of work, does your work-place offer sick-pay in such a situation.

That would also focus your employers on the issue as the stakes would have been raised. They knew about the bullying, did nothing and your health declined, therefore they contributed to the issue rather than acting to resolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Record.

Everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

In addition to taking on the bullying try and make some time for sports or exercise to balance out your chemistry.

I've been much happier (if a little more tired at work) since I started getting up at 5.30 am to cycle or run before work.

Find something you enjoy that you can look forward to regularly.

Things like rock climbing, running or cycling have at various times in my life given me a sense of freedom (without tying you to a rigid schedule that might clash with kids etc) which helped me through when I was feeling trapped by the need to pay bills etc.

Not an alternative to sorting out work problems by any means but certainly a way to counter that horrible feeling of being without options and letting part of my life go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

endacl wrote: »
    Record.

Everything.

QUOTED FOR F*CKING TRUTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Your employer has a vicarious duty of care to you in relation to bullying. In other words, they will be held liable if bullying occurs in the workplace and they are made aware of it.

Your boss has been a witness to a bullying event.

Contact NERA - The National Employment Rights Association. http://national-employment-rights-authority.carlow.tel/ They will be able to give you the most up to date advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,482 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If a boss witnesses bullying or it is brought to their attention, alarm bells should go off in their head. They then have a legal responsibility.
    Not sure what part of that message they do not understand.
    I would suggest, if possible, take some time out with a GP's letter.
    You're not the person who should be forced to look for alt employment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    As we have a strong suspicion who the OP is and they have been given plenty of advice on this previously we're locking this thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement