Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treadmill advise

Options
  • 02-10-2016 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a treadmill.

Want something that feels like a proper gym one and have some bit of bounce.

Need for it to go up to 20k/hr
    Does not need to be foldable.
    Have USB power and some way to put a tablet on it would be great also but not essential.

I think it needs to have a longish base as some are very short. Not to worried about inclined.

Is there any trustworthy review site for them and what are good price places that deliver in or to Ireland.

Can spend like up to 1500 but cheaper the better. Don't mind going 2nd hand but want something that I could do a long run on if I was stuck. Any advice on where to look would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

rom wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a treadmill.

Want something that feels like a proper gym one and have some bit of bounce.

Need for it to go up to 20k/hr
    Does not need to be foldable.
    Have USB power and some way to put a tablet on it would be great also but not essential.

I think it needs to have a longish base as some are very short. Not to worried about inclined.

Is there any trustworthy review site for them and what are good price places that deliver in or to Ireland.

Can spend like up to 1500 but cheaper the better. Don't mind going 2nd hand but want something that I could do a long run on if I was stuck. Any advice on where to look would be great.

You'll probably spend €4k upwards for a commercial grade one, McSport is a good starting point. I've seen some sites do ex Gym ones, mainly from the UK.
    http://www.mcsport.ie/c/treadmills/74/commercial_treadmill-type/home_treadmill-type

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Look for the CHP number as the bigger this is the longer and faster you'll be able to keep going for. 3 is good, 2 is rubbish, 2.5 is just about passable for home treadmills if I remember my research correctly.

Wider and longer the belt the better, but don't compare with gym models.

Don't worry about it having a built in screen, your better off spending the difference on a stand alone tablet that you can replace and do more with. USB charging would be useful, but don't worry about that either. There will almost certainly be a mini shelf on the treadmill console where you can balance a standalone tablet, then get a separate power bank if you need to keep it charged. Hearing anything over the noise of the treadmill may be an issue, no matter how quiet they claim to be.

There are a few treadmill review sites I found previously, but I could never manage to find one site that had reviews on each of the models I was looking at on the same site. Or even sometimes called the same model by a different name depending on if their main market was US or UK.

I still find that despite feeling like I'm running really fast, I'm still on a slow speed really. Must just be down to needing to reset my running technique, but I'd not be getting close to running it's top speed of 22kmh on it without falling off the back. The heart rate says I'm running easy when I get off, my head says I've been sprinting all the way.

This is the one I got when it was on offer last year:
    http://www.johnlewis.com/nordictrack-t17-5-treadmill-grey-black/p1879775

Doing the job good so far, but keeping the baby amused whilst one of us is on the treadmill is the biggest challenge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Anther thing to watch out for in trying to compare different models is that they may actually be the same thing. ProForm and NordicTrack for instance are the same thing and they have some other names they use as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Thinking the same thing with the long winter nights.
    Did you go for one in the end?

• Advertisement

tipping wrote: »
    Thinking the same thing with the long winter nights.
    Did you go for one in the end?

Got a nordictrack T16 mail order return for 840 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Cheers, would you recommend it and where did you get it from. Sounds like a good bit cheaper than generic googling gives me.

Used http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=return

It did come assembled do I have t take it apart slightly and it was hard to get it upstairs as its 140KG but it was a big savings.

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/nordic-track-t16-treadmill.php? which is new in the box. Its a strong motor which makes it more silent to run. It has a shelf for a tablet etc and can do up to 22km which is good. very happy with it tbh.

Advertisement