Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nasty smell when hearing or hot water turned on

• 02-10-2016 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi, I live in a three storey estate. We are detached. We have asked our neighbours and this does not affect their houses, only ours.

We bought our house four years ago after it had been uninhabited for five or six years. It was a show house from the Celtic tiger. The water had been drained from all toilets and radiators while vacant, house had never been lived in before us.

So now we are living here for several years, we had the plumbing all checked out, as despite the removing of the water etc there still remained a little which gave way to leaks. We fixed all leaks and replastered etc.

Now, once a week almost, when we turn on the heating (gas) or try to heat the hot water there is a foul disturbing smell. It smells like sewage. Horrific, so much so that all windows have to be open which defeats the purpose of heating.

We have checked our drains etc, no dead animals and have cleaned the gutters out.

It doesn't happen every time, but most times we use the heating. I always have windows open in the house and candles lighting as it's a massive concern. We have had two different plumbers in and they can't seem to located the problem.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Check the flue of your boiler...you may have the remains of a small bird or rodent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

exaisle wrote: »
    Check the flue of your boiler...you may have the remains of a small bird or rodent there.

Yeah my neighbour thought the same and he checked it, all clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is it like a rotten egg? Could be corrosion in the copper pipes leads to sulfer in the pipes and hence a fowl smell

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

ted1 wrote: »
    Is it like a rotten egg? Could be corrosion in the copper pipes leads to sulfervib the pipes and hence a fowl smell

Yes, it is like rotten eggs, but it's sporadic enough. Not every day. Very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Hello. I have been hearing a kind of groaning noise recently whenever I turn on the kitchen and bathroom cold taps and whenever I flush the toilet. It seems to be emanating from pipes at the back of my hotpress which, I think, connect to the immersion tank. Also, on a separate or perhaps related issue, three downstairs radiators are not heating up. I have bled all the rads and there appears to be no trapped air.The system is Gas fired. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Where does the smell originate? Can you track where you smell it first?

It's not unknown for tradespeople, who don't have a huge prospect of getting paid, to leave behind "gifts" to the future occupiers. I had one in a school job, where the upstairs rads wouldn't heat at all - the problem ended up being a coke bottle in the vertical pipework.

Maybe a good root around in the hot press might be in order?

Also, your downstairs rads problem might mean the system simply needs balancing...

Advertisement