Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best farming van

Options
  • 02-10-2016 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so my current van died so I didn't have to (may she rest in peace)

Currently looking at replacements. Needs to be suitable for daily journeys to Dublin plus the farm work also.

Currently looking at the citroen/Peugeot offerings in the shape of the berlingo and partner. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ok so my current van died so I didn't have to (may she rest in peace)

Currently looking at replacements. Needs to be suitable for daily journeys to Dublin plus the farm work also.

Currently looking at the citroen/Peugeot offerings in the shape of the berlingo and partner. Any thoughts?

I don't think you'll do better than the partner, they had a good deal last year on a scrappage, it might still be there. Good fuel economy and you can seat 3 across the front.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

VW caddy 4x4 ... only van to come 4 wheel drive I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Mf310 wrote: »
    VW caddy 4x4 ... only van to come 4 wheel drive I think?

Transit connect comes in 4wd aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

Take the landini.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Who2 wrote: »
    Take the landini.

To Dublin? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭bullnuts

blue5000 wrote: »
    I don't think you'll do better than the partner, they had a good deal last year on a scrappage, it might still be there. Good fuel economy and you can seat 3 across the front.

Just on the thee seats is it ok for two kids to travel in these once airbags disabled or against the law?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I honestly don't know. They'd have to be over the min height and age I suppose.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I wouldn't prefer a particular breed but I would be looking at a 2ltr van instead of 1.6 if you're going to be at much heavy work loads with it .
    Did anyone look statue new smallish Toyota van that came out last year ? They look alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

blue5000 wrote: »
    I honestly don't know. They'd have to be over the min height and age I suppose.

Its the seat that matters. Toddler seat or, booster seat must be used. You only need to disable air bag if the child seat is rear facing. I have a Opel combo only 2 seats in front I do have my 2 year old or 4 year old in it all the time. As long as they have the right age seat its all legal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mountain

Skoda yeti is available as a van, also as 4x4, very comfortable, 50mpg. Worth looking at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I liked the drive of the berlingo, three seats is a great option to have.

Kids are allowed in front of vehicles in correct seats, age and weight don't matter any more. Again insurance would be a grey area with commercial insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Do you need a pulling and dragging van or a cheap to run comfortable van?

Hard to look past the caddy for a hard working van that's good on juce and comfortable too.

Opel combo not a bad van in the 1.3jtd fiat engine (sumthing fiat actually build good) easy to run room in the back but lacking power if you need to pull anything.

The Toyota auris van 1.4d will run on fresh air and is comfortable. Not huge power. I did use one to bring a big car back across the country with a trailer when I was stuck and she pulled away but I wouldn't do it with her all the time.

The ford focus van is good to in the older 1.8d bullet proof ford engine. Not as comfortable (I don't think any fords are) but a good van.

Golf van good all rounder but probably cost the most to maintain and stay away from the 2.0d from 06 to late 08. Sum one was smoking crack on the engine line and really put a bad dint in the Vw brand for a few years there.

I worked with Citroen and Peugeot for a few years and I wouldn't give one to my mother in law. I fcuking hate them.

It really depends on what you want the van to do. I'd go with the Toyota if you don't need all the room in the back or dragging a trailer around much.

Do you need a pulling and dragging van or a cheap to run comfortable van?

Hard to look past the caddy for a hard working van that's good on juce and comfortable too.

Opel combo not a bad van in the 1.3jtd fiat engine (sumthing fiat actually build good) easy to run room in the back but lacking power if you need to pull anything.

The Toyota auris van 1.4d will run on fresh air and is comfortable. Not huge power. I did use one to bring a big car back across the country with a trailer when I was stuck and she pulled away but I wouldn't do it with her all the time.

The ford focus van is good to in the older 1.8d bullet proof ford engine. Not as comfortable (I don't think any fords are) but a good van.

Golf van good all rounder but probably cost the most to maintain and stay away from the 2.0d from 06 to late 08. Sum one was smoking crack on the engine line and really put a bad dint in the Vw brand for a few years there.

I worked with Citroen and Peugeot for a few years and I wouldn't give one to my mother in law. I fcuking hate them.

It really depends on what you want the van to do. I'd go with the Toyota if you don't need all the room in the back or dragging a trailer around much.
    Just mainly driving about and the odd but if meal in the trailer. Always thought the caddys were a bit overpriced? Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Just mainly driving about and the odd but if meal in the trailer. Always thought the caddys were a bit overpriced? Am I wrong?

No you're not wrong they've been over priced for a long time now.

Not sure what your particular scenario would be with regards main roads dual carriageways etc but the days of pulling and drawing big loads with small vans are numbered rsa are clamping down in a big way.

Also 4x4 in a small van is unnecessary it's just another thing to go wrong and they're dear to buy in the first place.

For tipping about its hard go wrong with the 1.4d4d in the Auris but they're a car van really if you're used to a proper small van it's hard go back to a car van. 1.6hdi partner or Berlingo are good value for money and they're a well proven engine by now which has had nearly all its minor problems fixed as it's been updated over the years.

Toyota and vw hold their value well in the 2nd hand market so something to consider if depreciation will be a concern.

Out of interest will this be a new van or a new to you van?

No you're not wrong they've been over priced for a long time now.

Not sure what your particular scenario would be with regards main roads dual carriageways etc but the days of pulling and drawing big loads with small vans are numbered rsa are clamping down in a big way.

Also 4x4 in a small van is unnecessary it's just another thing to go wrong and they're dear to buy in the first place.

For tipping about its hard go wrong with the 1.4d4d in the Auris but they're a car van really if you're used to a proper small van it's hard go back to a car van. 1.6hdi partner or Berlingo are good value for money and they're a well proven engine by now which has had nearly all its minor problems fixed as it's been updated over the years.

Toyota and vw hold their value well in the 2nd hand market so something to consider if depreciation will be a concern.

Out of interest will this be a new van or a new to you van?

Second hand van. A good 131 model can be for for around the 7 or 8k Mark where a caddy could be 2ķ dearer. Had a Nissan kubistar before and it suited me fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Sorry reggie to hijack this thread.

But I was at a towing trailer information day.
    Anyway a guard present told people to look up this site if unsure of the weight that their vehicle can tow.

http://www.malcolms.ie/towbars/information/maximum-towing-weights

You have to know the weight of the trailer as well and have brakes on double axle trailers.
    Basically you can bring more weight in a double axle than a triple as the triple axle trailer is 300kgs heavier.

Again sorry to hijack. Hope you get the van that your looking for reggie.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Sorry reggie to hijack this thread.

But I was at a towing trailer information day.
    Anyway a guard present told people to look up this site if unsure of the weight that their vehicle can tow.

http://www.malcolms.ie/towbars/information/maximum-towing-weights

You have to know the weight of the trailer as well and have brakes on double axle trailers.
    Basically you can bring more weight in a double axle than a triple as the triple axle trailer is 300kgs heavier.

Again sorry to hijack. Hope you get the van that your looking for reggie.

No hassle. All info welcome

Second hand van. A good 131 model can be for for around the 7 or 8k Mark where a caddy could be 2ķ dearer. Had a Nissan kubistar before and it suited me fine

Hard go wrong with a partner so as long as ya get one that's been well serviced and not abused. Back axles have always been a week point but they're perfectly fine for general work (look for uneven tyre wear on the back) towing builders trailers of sand and loading the back with cement is what killed the majority of partners and berlingos during the boom.

The caddy is only worth the extra cash if ya go for the 2.0tdi 140bhp variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

The auris would be perfect for you and good on juce and nice to drive for the spin to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We have a Peugeot partner at home if you would flash some of the cash your showing;):)

• Advertisement

We have a Peugeot partner at home if you would flash some of the cash your showing;):)

Ah.......cheeky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

For tipping about its hard go wrong with the 1.4d4d in the Auris but they're a car van really if you're used to a proper small van it's hard go back to a car van.

The auris are a belter of a car especially the newer 2011> ones with 6 speed box and 1.4d engine. Run it on fumes.

The other advantage of a car type van is you have the comfort of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fanmanad

Was in your position just over a year ago. Went looking for a 12 or 13 van but couldn't find a good tidy van for reasonable price. Ended up buying a new caddy on 0% finance for 3 years. Best move I ever made!!

Muckit wrote: »
    The auris are a belter of a car especially the newer 2011> ones with 6 speed box and 1.4d engine. Run it on fumes.

The other advantage of a car type van is you have the comfort of a car.

+1 on that, the 1.4d4d is imo one of the best diesel engines of the last 15 years they're very very reliable and decent performance wise too.

While true enough on the comfort advantage of a carvan, small vans have come on a lot in recent years.
    I'm too used to having a big rear load space therefore I'd find making the switch to a carvan a bit difficult but thats only my own opinion on the matter.

+1 on that, the 1.4d4d is imo one of the best diesel engines of the last 15 years they're very very reliable and decent performance wise too.

While true enough on the comfort advantage of a carvan, small vans have come on a lot in recent years.
    I'm too used to having a big rear load space therefore I'd find making the switch to a carvan a bit difficult but thats only my own opinion on the matter.

Id have to agree with you on the large rear space

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Don't touch the opel combo.some people raving about mpg on the 1.3 engine.its a fiat engine that's bet into the combo to fit.to do any work on the engine you will be guaranteed to take chunks out of your hands unless you have wee midget hands.heater plugs are impossible to change on them as they normally break removing them and your looking at pulling the head or tap and die to fix.egr valves are a nightmare and air flow meters are China's finest and not cheap.you will also have to replace every single suspension part on a weekly basis as they appear to be made of twigs and soft as butter.also no matter how many times you track it they go up the road like a 3 legged crab with a bad dose of itch.you will also end up funding your local tyre mans kids college funds.you will end up spending the winter threatening it to start on cold mornings and the rest of the time trying to find out where the leaks are that fill it with water.as for a trailer they wouldn't pull the socks off a dead man. I could think of others but maybe my yeok is just haunted.gotta hand it to her though she has character

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sounds like you've a bit of a love hate relationship going on there! :D

Muckit wrote: »
    Sounds like you've a bit of a love hate relationship going on there! :D

Thought the same. Must be currently working on one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Whats the story regarding insurance for vans/carvans?
    Currently 23, driving two years in November. No hope or massive premium?

• Advertisement

Whats the story regarding insurance for vans/carvans?
    Currently 23, driving two years in November. No hope or massive premium?

You need either a vat no or a herd number

Advertisement