Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best farming van

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

What's the defender like on diesel I wonder..Good or bad

Defender would not be much different exept it has lovely gearing for towing and clutch like a tractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anyone ever consider an electric van?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭westlander

Can the auris van be gotten in anything bigger than 1.4d?
    Would the 1.4 pull an 8ft dbl axle cattle trailer and be legal at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

westlander wrote: »
    Can the auris van be gotten in anything bigger than 1.4d?
    Would the 1.4 pull an 8ft dbl axle cattle trailer and be legal at it

I'd imagine you'd be restricted to towing a ton with a 1.4 and the trailer would weigh most of that, there's a 2.0l auris too i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Avoid like the plague, they are the most over rated heaps of sh1t3 out there.
    25mpg empty no load
    15 - 21 mpg towing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

I've a 90HT Defender, bought new last January, just over 16000 miles to date, have kept every receipt, averages 30.75 mpg. Back of it filled to the gills with engineering equip and small tools, would haul a 10 X 5 tipping builders trailer on avg twice a week and a light 10 X 5 livestock trailer filled with lambs maybe once a month. I was hoping for it to be up on 33/34mpg to be honest tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭kay 9

Got rid of the jeep and vans around here and got a nice car instead. Doing the towing with tractor anymore and haven't a days trouble reliability wise like a jeep or van with bushings, shocks, dpfs and dmfs. I seem to have alot more cash in my wallet every week too.
    Bit slower but does the job, and warrants the tractor even more than before. No more getting stuck off road either ;)
    Oh and I probably won't bother doing the test for trailer :D
    But if I was to have a van for farming, it'd have to be a hiace. No contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

ballinadog wrote: »
    I've a 90HT Defender, bought new last January, just over 16000 miles to date, have kept every receipt, averages 30.75 mpg. Back of it filled to the gills with engineering equip and small tools, would haul a 10 X 5 tipping builders trailer on avg twice a week and a light 10 X 5 livestock trailer filled with lambs maybe once a month. I was hoping for it to be up on 33/34mpg to be honest tho

You should contact Landrover, I`m sure they`d love to know how yours is doing over 7 mpg more than the quoted MPG.
    Rosey tinted googles on I suspect :rolleyes:

Grecco wrote: »
    You should contact Landrover, I`m sure they`d love to know how yours is doing over 7 mpg more than the quoted MPG.
    Rosey tinted googles on I suspect :rolleyes:

Which defender engine is your experience with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

Given a choice between a 2012 Partner/Berlingo, Caddy, Transit Connect or Kangoo as a farm van which would people go for?

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Given a choice between a 2012 Partner/Berlingo, Caddy, Transit Connect or Kangoo as a farm van which would people go for?

Caddy or transit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭cosatron

tanko wrote: »

just after changing from a partner to a big van, fait ducato and I love it. Your higher up with a better view of the road, more hp and more room in the back. Got a pallet of fire wood and he left it in the back with the forklift. I was a bit iffy before hand as it was my dad's idea but its working out great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭shootermcgee

Partner or caddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Changed from 06 partner to 11 connect recently. More comfortable and beter puller. Barring a disaster, it will be a LOT cheaper to maintain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Caddy for comfort and driving. If your doing field work I'd go for a partner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭selectamatic

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Caddy for comfort and driving. If your doing field work I'd go for a partner

Have caddy's caught up in the comfort stakes in the last few years? They've nearly always been a rougher ride than the partner or Berlingo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Have any of them got decent ground clearance?

I think there were four wheel drive versions of some of those, perhaps not available in Ireland, and those would be better suited to farming. I think they were aimed at forestry operators.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Have caddy's caught up in the comfort stakes in the last few years? They've nearly always been a rougher ride than the partner or Berlingo.[/quote]

We have both caddy and berlingo and the caddy is as good as a car. Auld lad traded in the 08 caddy for a 162 high line a few weeks ago.
    In term of clearance caddy is the worst. The sump hangs down very low. If you are going through stubbles or grass after a while the wiring going into the sensor on the sump for engine oil will be broken off

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

Have a partner here and the decision was made purely because at the time it was the only one with 3 seats (if you could call them seats but there fine for kids u 12 ) . Love it having put 50k on it in 2 years. Towing rating on any of those vans isn't great but a hell of a lot cheaper to run than a jeep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Have a partner here and the decision was made purely because at the time it was the only one with 3 seats (if you could call them seats but there fine for kids u 12 ) . Love it having put 50k on it in 2 years. Towing rating on any of those vans isn't great but a hell of a lot cheaper to run than a jeep

A Honda 50 wouldn’t pull what a caddy would but it’d be a lot cheaper to run...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Willfarman wrote: »

Does a caddy have much better towing capacity then a Berlingo / partner. I’m guessing 1-200kg at most. Have a similar sized Citroen here as the family car and love it as it runs on fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

Does a caddy have much better towing capacity then a Berlingo / partner. I’m guessing 1-200kg at most. Have a similar sized Citroen here as the family car and love it as it runs on fresh air.

The pity is they are well able but not on paper which is what matters. Had 2t plus trailer on ours a while back and you wouldn't know it was there , steady and lots of power. Having said that it was once and am mindful of it's rating. Generally put the livestock trailer behind the tractor if there's anything substantial in it generally don't have far to go anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Citroen/puegeot are lovely cars and cheap to run, our last puegeot was a 407, lovely car too, but the electrics were a pain always a warning light on somewhere, it was like the child that cried wolf, we were at risk of ignoring it if something serious went wrong. Do you get anything like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Didn't Peugeot have a " farm" partner van, higher clearance, skid plates and a diff lock.. Might have been a while ago though...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »

Do you get anything like that

Had one small thing recently. The electric parking brake button went of it. Got a new one for less then €50. The owners forums are brilliant. The same things tend to go on the same cars, so fitted it myself. have the car over 5 years and she was a 3yr car when I got her. Can’t fault them really, wouldn’t hesitate buying another one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

Can you get a 4wd "4motion" in the caddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

MF290 wrote: »
    Can you get a 4wd "4motion" in the caddy?

You can yeah. Did the berlingo give up? 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Willfarman wrote: »

The problem is though many saloon/estate cars with 2.0 diesel engines have towing capacities of up on 2000kg and more in some cases and most aren't 4wd either. The caddy, partner, berlingo etc. Can't hold a candle to that and it's a shame.

For example a sub 1500kg towing capacity from a 2.0tdi 4motion caddy is quite frankly pitiful.

The way things are now a farmer would be aswell off with a cheap tax diesel estate car if he wanted something with cheap running costs, a decent rear load space and the ability to tow a handy trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

rushvalley wrote: »
    You can yeah. Did the berlingo give up? 😅

Haha the berlingo is good for another 10 years always for sale at the right price if you're interested though :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

Partners and Caddys seem to be either 75 or 90 HP. Are there noticable differences between the two?

Advertisement