Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project for woodwork student

Options
  • 02-10-2016 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I have a big overgrown tree in my garden that I either take down or do something fun with... so I was thinking maybe some woodwork art student would like to get to carve whatever you want out of it for a project..? Any interest? :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

What will you be paying the lucky student.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to echo the above, a woodwork art student does not strike me as the sort of person you want taking down a big overgrown tree.
    unless you're willing to deal with the (literal) fallout of things going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 robbbbo

Okidoks simply wondered if anyone fancied carving whatever you wanted out of it but oh well just a thought

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you looking for someone to take down the tree? if so, that's not a job for someone who's not qualified to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I think they're looking for someone to carve the tree.
    This isn't work for a woodwork student.

Carving trees is a highly skilled job.
    If you are actually talking about chopping it down and letting woodwork students turn it into tables and chairs, you'll probably be looking at a sizeable bill to turn it into planks of wood first. Woodmills work on economy of scale.

Best thing to do would be to ask a tree surgeon/wood mill if it's of any value.
    Some tree surgeons will take the wood as part or full payment depending on its value.

It may not be worth anything depending on factors such as the type of tree and quality of the timber and in that case turn it into firewood.

Its a nice idea OP but I don't think any woodwork students or classes would be interested in the hassle when they can go into any DIY shop and fill up on timber for around E30.
    It's unlikely a wood carver would fancy carving a tree in your garden, most would do it in public areas/for a big fee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I dont think anyone will offer to do free tree art.

Its an expensive thing to get done. No doubt some art students are well
    capable of wood carving. But chainsaw carving is a whole new dangerous
    element.

Student woodcarver with handtools,........ go for it.

But get PAID for your toil. If you are good enough to deliver a piece of tree art.

Then you are worthy of your labour costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I've seen sculptures carved out of standing tree trunks. Frankly, I'd prefer to see the tree.:D A saw miller would advise you about converting it into planks or firewood but I think I know the answer to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What type of tree is it , could you put up a picture.

Advertisement