Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rads - Replace of flush system

• 02-10-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Rads in the house are about 25 years old (possibly more, we're only here 14 years). There's one newer one on the loop and the rest seem to be consistent with that age - comparing them to my parents house which has them about 30-35 years. There's currently rad covers on the ones downstairs & these will most probably be removed during a decorating phase.

We're getting some work done & will be adding a new rad to the system in an extension and I'm considering my options here for improving/upgrading the heating system.

The boiler is 2012, will be serviced in the next couple of weeks and a netatamo thermostat fitted (never had a thermostat in the house before, just the boiler's own). I'll probably be fitting netatamo valves over the next couple of years to all the rads to have individual thermos in each room on the system.

Would we be better off getting the entire system flushed & maybe a water filter added or change to newer rads to maximise heat output?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

OU812 wrote: »
    Rads in the house are about 25 years old (possibly more, we're only here 14 years). There's one newer one on the loop and the rest seem to be consistent with that age - comparing them to my parents house which has them about 30-35 years. There's currently rad covers on the ones downstairs & these will most probably be removed during a decorating phase.

We're getting some work done & will be adding a new rad to the system in an extension and I'm considering my options here for improving/upgrading the heating system.

The boiler is 2012, will be serviced in the next couple of weeks and a netatamo thermostat fitted (never had a thermostat in the house before, just the boiler's own). I'll probably be fitting netatamo valves over the next couple of years to all the rads to have individual thermos in each room on the system.

Would we be better off getting the entire system flushed & maybe a water filter added or change to newer rads to maximise heat output?

It really depends on the type of rads if they are low or high output
    An high output rads has fins on the back of the rad
    Low output are flat back
    If they're low Output i would replace them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Is there much benefit to replacing them in terms of output?

Robbie.G wrote: »
    It really depends on the type of rads if they are low or high output
    An high output rads has fins on the back of the rad
    Low output are flat back
    If they're low Output i would replace them

Is there much benefit to replacing them in terms of output? (In terms of ROI)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

If your rads are sludged they are way down on their output
    if they're low output rads all new rads are high output they're going to give about 60% more heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Robbie.G wrote: »

If your rads are sludged they are way down on their output
    if they're low output rads all new rads are high output they're going to give about 60% more heat

Whether they're low or high output, I'm not sure replacing them is of any benefit (unless for aesthetic reasons).
    Surely when the rads were fitted originally, they were sized for the room they were in, the heat loss associated, and the heat up time required...
    Where's all this extra 60% heat output going to come from - a 60% bigger boiler?
    Sorry to attack your thinking here, but I can't understand the benefit here...

OP, your approahc of individual valves per room makes perfect sense, as does removing the rad covers. And flushing would improve the effectiveness of each rad.
    And to maximise heat output, you could consider separating the hot water cylinder and the space heating, by fitting some motorised valves - SEAI have some grants & a good spec to follow for this.

• Advertisement

Would removing the layers of pain on them be any benefit? Obviously they'd need to be repainted after being stripped, but there's a good 8-10 layers of paint on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Would removing the layers of pain on them be any benefit? Obviously they'd need to be repainted after being stripped, but there's a good 8-10 layers of paint on them.

No. are they really hot on top and cold on the bottom?

Not particularly. Bleed them when they need it.

Not particularly. Bleed them when they need it.

Then maybe you don't need a flush at all

Is it worth fitting one of those magnetic filter things to pull sludge out ?

• Advertisement

Is it worth fitting one of those magnetic filter things to pull sludge out ?

No. they're only good to fit after it's been powerflushed

Advertisement